Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receieved pre-approval for Blue Sky (amex). 30,000 pts/$500

tag
Scott90
Contributor

Receieved pre-approval for Blue Sky (amex). 30,000 pts/$500

Good morning everyone, hope you all had a nice Christmas...

I came back from vacation last night with a pre-approval from AMEX for a Blue Sky card.  The letter says i would get the 17.24% APR which looks to be the lowest option for that card right now.  At first I wasnt too impressed and immediately was going to throw this away because I read that spending 7500 (7500pts) would only get me $100.  My capital one quick silver beats that by 12 bucks, not much, but why app when I already am doing better.  But then I saw the bonus points offer.  Spend 500 in 3 months, get 30,000 bonus points (worth 400).  Now as I read this, this isnt a check or statement credit in general, the wording says statement credit towards airline tickets, hotels, cruises, etc.  Which is fine, I just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.  I am getting married in October so I can spend 500 anyday as we have numerous vendors that we still owe payments too.  And I was thinking maybe the 400 that can go to flights, cruises, etc can now be used towards whatever we decide to do for the honeymoon.  I just am looking for some guidance as far as if i was reading that correct.  Can the 400 bonus be used as a credit to pay the card, or does that have to be used in like a money mall or something of AMEX to buy those items.  I do not have an AMEX yet so I am unfamilar.... which is also a reason why I may want to apply for this offer so I can lock in the "2013" member date.   Just looking for some inputs... Thanks everyone.

And for those wondering, my FICO last month was around 760 something.  I think 766. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
wche
Regular Contributor

Re: Receieved pre-approval for Blue Sky (amex). 30,000 pts/$500

You can apply the points towards a travel purchase redeemable by a statement credit. I believe you have 90 days to apply it to a particular travel purchase.
Message 2 of 4
wche
Regular Contributor

By 90 days I meant you only have a 90 day Window to apply your points to a particular travel purchase. Points do not expire!
Message 3 of 4
cyclesport45
Established Member

Exactly.  I got this card in October, charged the 500 in first month, bought two airline tickets, and has the $400 credited to my account.  It's a pretty good travel card; 1.33 points per dollar, applicable to ANY travel expenses (not tied down to one airline or program).  Glad I got it, will use it enough to get $100 to $200 credit per year.

Chase Freedom(5.3K), Citi Double Cash (8.8K). Citi Thank You Preferred(10.2K) DCU Platinum Rewards(10K), REI Visa(9.6K) Amex Blue Sky(5K), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (20K), Crate & Barrel (3.5K) Discover IT(16.5K) CSP (28K)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.