Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received AMEX denial letter

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

Received AMEX denial letter

I applied for the AMEX delta gold a couple of weeks ago and was instantly denied. I called for a recon and was told I would have to wait for the letter for an explanation.

Well, here's what it said:

"My fico score- Experian 647 is too low."

"My debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian"

"The length of time you have been a customer with AMEX is too short"

"The number of creditors who have reviewed your credit report"

OK, my situation is, all credit cards are paid off, with one reporting 9% balance. I have about $20000 in student loans, but they are current and in good standing. I have no other debt besides a consolidation loan, which is not reporting. So, how could AMEX say my debt is too high?

I was an AU on an AMEX gold since 2005, but I have had my Zync on my own for 10 months. Is 10 months not long enough?

I only have 3 hp inquiries in the last 12 months, about 6 in the last 2 years. Is that still too many?

My final question is, should I write a letter and dispute, or is there no point?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Received AMEX denial letter

@shasta wrote:

I applied for the AMEX delta gold a couple of weeks ago and was instantly denied. I called for a recon and was told I would have to wait for the letter for an explanation.

Well, here's what it said:

"My fico score- Experian 647 is too low."

"My debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian"

"The length of time you have been a customer with AMEX is too short"

"The number of creditors who have reviewed your credit report"

OK, my situation is, all credit cards are paid off, with one reporting 9% balance. I have about $20000 in student loans, but they are current and in good standing. I have no other debt besides a consolidation loan, which is not reporting. So, how could AMEX say my debt is too high?

I was an AU on an AMEX gold since 2005, but I have had my Zync on my own for 10 months. Is 10 months not long enough?

I only have 3 hp inquiries in the last 12 months, about 6 in the last 2 years. Is that still too many?

My final question is, should I write a letter and dispute, or is there no point?

Sorry to hear about your denial but from what i have read here its hard to recon with AMEX. The good thing is that it was only a SP since you are already a member. You dont any other CC other than AMEX? Maybe they wanna see at least a year of credit (and to them AU doesnt factor much into that).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd say a recon letter wouldn't serve you well as your FICO is too low.
Get it to at least 680, then re try:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

20000 could be a lot depending on the income you put down. Student loans are debt too.

Message 4 of 12
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd say a recon letter wouldn't serve you well as your FICO is too low.
Get it to at least 680, then re try:-)

+1....I just reliazed that his score probably play a big factor also. I got denied back in August with a 673 EX score. You may wanna try for one of their regular charge cards first since those seem easier to get next time you try.

Message 5 of 12
shasta
Regular Contributor

Income is around 24k

I have a cap one cc with 750 limit/ 65 balance

Message 6 of 12
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@shasta wrote:

Income is around 24k

I have a cap one cc with 750 limit/ 65 balance

As i see it not much of revolving credit then. You may wanna try one of their charge (green) cards next time. Those seem easier to get. Plus like it was said, 640's is too low for Amex (especially for their revolver cards).

Message 7 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

You can try a recon but I don't think it'll happen until that FICO is north of 680.

Message 8 of 12
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

Low income and the credit score got you for sure. Work to a 680-700 like previously stated and give it another go.

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 9 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I had $36k in student loans and 696 TU FICO when approved for bce but a nearly six year old revolving history.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.