cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Chase Freedom Card but just offered Chase Sapphire Preferred - First Post

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received Chase Freedom Card but just offered Chase Sapphire Preferred - First Post

Hello All! I'm a new member to the forum but I've been trolling for about a year while trying to rebuild my credit and finally took the plunge to sign up. 

Now to my question. I seen that Chase's mobile app now has an 'Offers' tab where you can easily see what cards they pre-approved/pre-qualified you for and can easily sign up for one. I've had my Chase Slate card for about 9 months now and I was surprised to see that it showed offers for the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Preferred Cards. I have REALLY been eyeing the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for awhile now since I started itching to start traveling more but I figured it would be awhile till I had an honest chance for being approved for it. I was nervous so I figured I would just apply for the Freedom card and not get too excited and go for the CSP just to get turned down. So, to my surprise, I was approved for the Freedom card for $2500 but I now keep receiving offers exclusively for the CSP card. Should I try applying for the CSP card now or should I wait? 

As you can see, I have a wish list of cards I want. I'm just waiting for 6 inquiries to drop off in Dec 2017 before I attempt to apply for anymore cards. I have only one baddie in my report, a collection for Midland Funding for $761 (burned Citi Bank CC carelessly when I was 19, but now I'm 25 and plan to start fixing that in June and hopefully beg my way back to them somehow after I pay what I owe). 

Anything info helps!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Received Chase Freedom Card but just offered Chase Sapphire Preferred - First Post

In my experience (apped for CSP in my Offers on Dec 31st, over 5/24, 720-730ish, approved $12k, lowest 16-something APR), Chase's offers are solid.  Nothing came up on the prequalify page at the time, either.  If you can take a HP (likely it will be 2), I'd say go for it now - especially if you can hit the $4k for the 50,000 points (mine already show as pending for next statement).  It won't even factor into your scoring by next March, not long after your others drop off.  Once thing to keep in mind is that minimum SL for CSP is $5,000, but your Kay being over that shouldn't cause an alarm bell.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received Chase Freedom Card but just offered Chase Sapphire Preferred - First Post

I'm just a little nervous because I thought I wouldnt be able to apply for two cards at the same instituion without waiting 6 months in between. I'm skeptical because I don't want them to trip me up and deny because I just applied and received my slate card within the last week and acquire another hard pull. Also, I don't think I can take another hard pull right now. I have a total of about 6,15, or 19 inquiries depending on which report you look at. I was car shopping in Dec 2015 and went on an app spree in Feb 2016 and moved in August 2016 (apt complex, cable, and electric company pulled credit reports) so a majority of those inquires will drop off Dec 2017 and Feb 2018 and I will probably have about 4 inquires on my report. I would really need the CSP starting Dec 2017 because I'm planning to purchase plane tickets around that time for a vacation next August.  I'm due for CLI for my Capitol One card but I'm waiting to eliminate my util by June since its currently around 47%. I did pre-qualify for the Quicksilver card but I want to wait. I'm still deciding to try to wait to apply for the Venture card in December or get the Quicksilver first and then eventually apply for the Venture card.

Message 3 of 12
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All! I'm a new member to the forum but I've been trolling for about a year while trying to rebuild my credit and finally took the plunge to sign up. 

Now to my question. I seen that Chase's mobile app now has an 'Offers' tab where you can easily see what cards they pre-approved/pre-qualified you for and can easily sign up for one. I've had my Chase Slate card for about 9 months now and I was surprised to see that it showed offers for the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Preferred Cards. I have REALLY been eyeing the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for awhile now since I started itching to start traveling more but I figured it would be awhile till I had an honest chance for being approved for it. I was nervous so I figured I would just apply for the Freedom card and not get too excited and go for the CSP just to get turned down. So, to my surprise, I was approved for the Freedom card for $2500 but I now keep receiving offers exclusively for the CSP card. Should I try applying for the CSP card now or should I wait? 

As you can see, I have a wish list of cards I want. I'm just waiting for 6 inquiries to drop off in Dec 2017 before I attempt to apply for anymore cards. I have only one baddie in my report, a collection for Midland Funding for $761 (burned Citi Bank CC carelessly when I was 19, but now I'm 25 and plan to start fixing that in June and hopefully beg my way back to them somehow after I pay what I owe). 

Anything info helps!

Honestly, I would wait. Chase is going to pull you EX, and that score is pretty much a no. You want to be at 680+ for the best chance of approval. 

Also, CSP starts at $5K. Chase typically likes to see how you handle a larger line before handing you a limit like that. 

Message 4 of 12
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anything info helps!

FYI- I read that Midland will do PFD (Pay for deletes)

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I was online looking at my Chase accounts, I too, noticed that I was being offered those very same cards... While the T&C contained fixed APR's, as most pre-quals do, I am hesitant to apply for either of them because I am well past the 5/24 rule with them at this time and honestly, I have  little use for yet another card.

I am thinking that this is a blanket deal for all Chase CC customers and not something that is tailored just for you.

I'm in the garden with new CC's until next Dec or Jan, working on building what I have through CLI's.

Happy Hunting!!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

While I was online looking at my Chase accounts, I too, noticed that I was being offered those very same cards... While the T&C contained fixed APR's, as most pre-quals do, I am hesitant to apply for either of them because I am well past the 5/24 rule with them at this time and honestly, I have  little use for yet another card.

I am thinking that this is a blanket deal for all Chase CC customers and not something that is tailored just for you.

I'm in the garden with new CC's until next Dec or Jan, working on building what I have through CLI's.

Happy Hunting!!

The bolded part is the most relevant. No point in applying for a card that you have zero use for.

My addition though would be that not everyone gets prequals. I joined Chase almost a year ago with a pre-qual CSP app, and since that time nothing has ever been on my "Your offers" page.

If you did have a use for something they were offering, you could apply with reasonable certainty of approval despite 5/24 as far as I've seen from the data points.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Happy Hunting!!

The bolded part is the most relevant. No point in applying for a card that you have zero use for.

My addition though would be that not everyone gets prequals. I joined Chase almost a year ago with a pre-qual CSP app, and since that time nothing has ever been on my "Your offers" page.

If you did have a use for something they were offering, you could apply with reasonable certainty of approval despite 5/24 as far as I've seen from the data points.

The CSR is a card I'd take just to close the other two I have now... 

So, from what you're saying, this offer thing is a backdoor to circumventing the 5/24 rule? That's how I'm reading it...

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSR is a card I'd take just to close the other two I have now... 

So, from what you're saying, this offer thing is a backdoor to circumventing the 5/24 rule? That's how I'm reading it...

Based on what I see on the forums, yes it can circumvent 5/24 auto-denials. On that note, I would not get rid of a Freedom just because you are able to open a Reserve. The Freedom is a great companion card to a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve.

Message 9 of 12
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I haven't been following the approval forum.  There may be some recent DPs there....

My Freedom is almost 3 years old.  Last month,  on Chase website, I was pre-approved for the Slate, CFU and CSP.   I took the CSP.   A couple of days later I noticed I was stil pre-approved for several cards.  But when I checked today, it didn't show any pre-approvals.  All of the offers have a variable interest rate.  You may be seeing a pre-approval from before your app.  Since your credit profile has changed since the AR that generated the pre-approval, I wouldn't bet the pre-approval is still good. 

Congratulations on the new Freedom.  Enjoy it.  It is a great card for those who can use the categories.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.