Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a better offer from AMEX the day my new Gold Card arrived

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Received a better offer from AMEX the day my new Gold Card arrived

I applied for and was approved for a Platinum Sky Miles card on 6/23.  Not a huge limit at $2,000 but I almost maxed it out and paid in full in one week. Did that the next week as well. After some research on this forum I decided to apply for another card after a short wait. I was approved for the Gold Card on 7/21 (responded to an offer fro Green Card I received in the mail but was offered Gold during app process). My Gold Card arrived a few days ago along with an offer for a Gold Card. I was puzzled and I set it aside. After activating my new card I looked at the offer I received of 15,000 bonus points for $1,000 spend in three months. Because I was upgraded to Gold during app process I had no idea if I even was offered an incentive. 

I just called AMEX and asked if my new card had the same offer of 15,000 points after $1,000 spend in 90 days, explaining I received new card and offer on same day.  I was informed that it did not but I was eligible for 15,000 points for $30,000 spend in 3 months. What? That's a big spend for those points. I tried pressing it but it was a no go. 

Odd part is I received an offer for Business Gold Card yesterday and applied online today and sure enough I was approved.  That offer was 50,000 points for $5,000 spend in three months. 

Any pointers in trying to get the 15,000 for $1,000 in 3 months on my personal card or should I just let it go?

Thanks for your input on this. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Received a better offer from AMEX the day my new Gold Card arrived

I do not know but spending $30k in three months is a lot of money to spend to get 15k points. When I signed up for my Zync I got 10k just for spending a $1
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 3
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Received a better offer from AMEX the day my new Gold Card arrived

I am assuming I am getting 1 point per dollar anyhow... and yes $30,000 is a lot for a 15,000 point bonus. I am kinda getting hooked on points and miles recently and this offer from AMEX the day the card arrived got me going. 

I failed to mention I am a Sole Proprietor and have a project running thru mid October that will see me spending a solid $200,000. In the past that would have been spent via checks or debit card because I have the capital to pay in advance (thanks to my customers who pay huge deposits and progress payments).  Now all of that spend going on various AMEX or my Chase INK cards.

Trying to get some Chase love too if they will raise my limit or hook me up with the INK Bold card. Moved business banking to Chase last week and the manager nearly hugged me when he saw my opening deposit and heard about my current project budget. He asked me to come back Monday to pursue INK Bold in the branch. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.