cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a credit before a dispute was finalized

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Received a credit before a dispute was finalized

I recently filed a dispute for two airline tickets. Long story short, I needed to cancel the tickets. There is no way to get a representative on the phone or talk to one through online chat (the company is overseas ). My last resort was to call the credit card company to see if they had a suggestion. The person I spoke to filed a dispute.

Yesterday I noticed a credit for the amount. I called to see if the dispute had been finalized. The representative told me they credited my account, but would re-charge it if the dispute doesn't go through.

 

Is that common? From what I was reading about the process, they wouldn't credit the money, unless it is approved.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
citymunky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized

That's common, the same thing for debt cards. Usually the bank will take about 10 days to investigate and make a judgment. 

 

However, in your case disputing a charge because you couldn't cancel for a refund might not stick no matter what the service rep said. Good luck.

Rebuilding since 2021


Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper (Jul21-Jul 2022), Sable {Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum (Jul21-Aug23)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 2 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized

A temporary credit during the investigation is common.

 

The closest experience I've had was a merchant acknowledging receipt of returned goods but failing to provide me with a credit. Front-line customer service would say they would forward the matter to their finance department but I would never hear back.

 

I won that dispute with Citi, but I had written acknowledgement of the goods as having been received as well as a phone screenshot showing numerous calls to the merchant's customer service line.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized


@wasCB14 wrote:

A temporary credit during the investigation is common.

 

 


Right, I think this is the standard.   And, if the verdict goes against you, the credit will disappear just as quickly!

Message 4 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized


@citymunky wrote:

That's common, the same thing for debt cards. Usually the bank will take about 10 days to investigate and make a judgment. 

 

However, in your case disputing a charge because you couldn't cancel for a refund might not stick no matter what the service rep said. Good luck.


I believe the origional rep I spoke with said something about maintaining payments during the process so it sounded like the charge would remain on my account throughout. I PIF each month so I saw a credit balance when I logged in yesterday. I got a little excited so I called to see if it was approved. I was told they are still working on it. 

 

The airline tickets cost a little over $2K. We are no longer able to go on the trip so I tried to contact the airline to cancel. Absoluately zero chance of getting a person on the phone. I just keep going round and round with their prompts. The same with their online communications. I then did some research and found endless complaints about the airline. Many, many people have the same problem. Meanwhile, the bank requested more info. When I called to see exactly what they wanted I was told to print up some of those complaints and include them with the info. The answer is no if I don't try so I'm hoping for the best.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized


@masscredit wrote:

I recently filed a dispute for two airline tickets. Long story short, I needed to cancel the tickets. There is no way to get a representative on the phone or talk to one through online chat (the company is overseas ). My last resort was to call the credit card company to see if they had a suggestion. The person I spoke to filed a dispute.

Yesterday I noticed a credit for the amount. I called to see if the dispute had been finalized. The representative told me they credited my account, but would re-charge it if the dispute doesn't go through.

 

Is that common? From what I was reading about the process, they wouldn't credit the money, unless it is approved.


Yes that's always done. It's a provisional credit. It's required by law.

 

Whatever you were reading that told you they wouldn't issue a credit unless the dispute was resolved in your favor is baloney.


Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 8
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized


@masscredit wrote:

@citymunky wrote:

That's common, the same thing for debt cards. Usually the bank will take about 10 days to investigate and make a judgment. 

 

However, in your case disputing a charge because you couldn't cancel for a refund might not stick no matter what the service rep said. Good luck.


I believe the origional rep I spoke with said something about maintaining payments during the process so it sounded like the charge would remain on my account throughout. I PIF each month so I saw a credit balance when I logged in yesterday. I got a little excited so I called to see if it was approved. I was told they are still working on it. 

 

The airline tickets cost a little over $2K. We are no longer able to go on the trip so I tried to contact the airline to cancel. Absoluately zero chance of getting a person on the phone. I just keep going round and round with their prompts. The same with their online communications. I then did some research and found endless complaints about the airline. Many, many people have the same problem. Meanwhile, the bank requested more info. When I called to see exactly what they wanted I was told to print up some of those complaints and include them with the info. The answer is no if I don't try so I'm hoping for the best.


Unfortunately, I doubt the bank will credit your account permanently with it being a legitimate charge. Not being able to cancel a trip is something I doubt they will give you your money back. 

I went through this with a boat rental that I legitimately paid for, but the boat rental went completely horrible; long story, but I ended up having to pay it. Disputed it many times but the merchant wouldn't allow the dispute. 

Current FICO 8: TU: 814 EX: 774 EQ: 806
Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000
American Express BCP: $12,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,500
Blue Business Plus $10,000
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
Capital One Venture X $16,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $5,000

Tour Manager, FOH Engineer, Concert Promoter, HBIC
Message 7 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Received a credit before a dispute was finalized

@drewricomakeubu  It's my only chance at this point so I'm giving it a try. Seeing that the airline is so hard to get ahold of, I'm wondering if they will make any effort to fight the dispute. They might just let it ride or not even see the paperwork. The flights are still over 3 months away. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.