Did you mean: 

Received my $200 bonus from Citi Double Cash Today

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Received my $200 bonus from Citi Double Cash Today

@jsucool76 wrote:
  • Welcome
    A Citi representative will help you in approximately 0 minutes 2 seconds.
  • For your protection, we'll never ask you for passwords, PINs, User IDs, security words or any part of your social security number during a chat. Other information may be required to help us verify your identity. This chat may be recorded or monitored for quality purposes.

You are now chatting with CSR.
  • Jared: Hi
  • CSR: Welcome to Citi Live Chat.  We appreciate the opportunity to service you.  How may I help you?
  • Jared: I was curious, on my citi double cash card, if I claim my cash back as a statement credit, will that still count as a payment towards the account, thus earning the 1% bonus cash back for making a payment?
  • CSR: It will not, no.
  • CSR: I'm very sorry.
  • Jared: Alright. Thank you very much!

I was surprised I got a straight answer, and not the spiel about "With your citi double cash card, you will earn 2% cashback! 1% on every purchase, and another 1% when a payment is made to your account!" 

So a 1.99% card if you redeem for statement credit, which I guess isn't very significantly different from 2%  in most cases!   (And for more largest uncategorized spend, gift cards difrectly from Amex, can't use Citi cards anyway).

Message 11 of 18
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Excellent.....

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I don't think your right about it would be 1.99%.  Here's how.

Balance $100

Purchase Tracker $100

Statement credit $100

If you use your statement credit to pay off the balance

your purchase tracker will still be at $100 and your balance will be at 0, thus you only got 1% for your purchase, because you never made a payment.

This is just an example.  In this scenario, there will always be something in your purchase tracker while your balance is zero because you never made a payment, thus you lost the opportunity to get that other 1%.  There fore you are only getting 1% for this credit card.  Please reply if I am wrong.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you will never be able to reduce your purchase tracker to zero if you redeem as a statement credit, thus you will not be getting as much as possible out of your card.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you will never be able to reduce your purchase tracker to zero if you redeem as a statement credit, thus you will not be getting as much as possible out of your card.

I guess the most logical solution would be to get a statement check, deposit it to your bank account, and then use that money to pay off your credit card, hence more rewards!

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct!

If you keep redeeming with statement credits you will just keep losing money.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct!

If you keep redeeming with statement credits you will just keep losing money.

Citi is so sneaky with this trick! My Capital One Quicksilver never had this issue, then again these are 2 totally different cards. I don't mind statement checks, will be a bit slower and potentially susceptible to being lost / stolen, but I'm fine with that.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even have the card but I read a lot about the card since I plan on getting it.  When somebody else posted their chat with CITI and I saw that statement credits don't count as payments, it all made sense.  A lot of people won't catch on though.  Until they notice that the amount in their purchase tracker is double their balance.  I really like quicksilvers rewards program.  Redeem at any amount, automatic redemption, statement credit, and checks.  It works really nice for the card since when you redeem with a statement credit you can just spend more on the card.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.