Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my AMEX Green!!!

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Received my AMEX Green!!!

@tinuviel wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It's just important to me that I maintain a good relationship with Amex from this point forward, and I want to avoid doing anything that might ruffle their feathers. Since I don't have any recent experience with them, I'm trying to find out what sort of behaviors (other than the obvious!) to avoid.

For instance, I've noticed the Check Your Spending Ability link. I've read that this is not to be used as a toy, constantly trying out huge amounts just to see how large an approval one can get. But, I am planning on going out to dinner this Friday, and I'd like to make certain that everything is good to go before using the card. So, if I were to try it for an approval of a couple of hundred (waaaaaay more than I'm planning on spending for dinner!!!), would this do anything to upset them? I would think that they have the link there for a reason and expect people to use it. And, I don't think that the amount I'd be trying would be in any way out of line for an approval, even for a new account. Thoughts???

I hear what you are saying.  I also didn't want to ruffle their feathers after I got my card.  And based on what I read here, I completely avoided using that link.  But I think I was being overcautious.  I have called a couple times to ask them to run a test transaction when I was unsure.  I can't imagine using the link once, especially after you just got the card, to see if a couple hundred dollar transaction would go through would be a problem.  Like you said, just don't go crazy with it. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 23
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It's just important to me that I maintain a good relationship with Amex from this point forward, and I want to avoid doing anything that might ruffle their feathers. Since I don't have any recent experience with them, I'm trying to find out what sort of behaviors (other than the obvious!) to avoid.

For instance, I've noticed the Check Your Spending Ability link. I've read that this is not to be used as a toy, constantly trying out huge amounts just to see how large an approval one can get. But, I am planning on going out to dinner this Friday, and I'd like to make certain that everything is good to go before using the card. So, if I were to try it for an approval of a couple of hundred (waaaaaay more than I'm planning on spending for dinner!!!), would this do anything to upset them? I would think that they have the link there for a reason and expect people to use it. And, I don't think that the amount I'd be trying would be in any way out of line for an approval, even for a new account. Thoughts???

I hear what you are saying.  I also didn't want to ruffle their feathers after I got my card.  And based on what I read here, I completely avoided using that link.  But I think I was being overcautious.  I have called a couple times to ask them to run a test transaction when I was unsure.  I can't imagine using the link once, especially after you just got the card, to see if a couple hundred dollar transaction would go through would be a problem.  Like you said, just don't go crazy with it. 

I just tried it for $200 just to make certain that everything is in order and that I'm good to go; it came back that it would have been approved. I'll now leave the link alone unless I need to make a purchase that is a little out of the ordinary. I'd like to avoid that, however, especially while the account is still new. A nice, ho hum, boring spending pattern would be just fine for me. Now if I go on vacation or something, I'll give them the heads up.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 23
eparker
Frequent Contributor

I hoping to app with Amex again as well.  I had a card back in 1986, I was in the military and decided I was to young to deal with that card at the time.  But I have som baddies I need to get off.  More on Experian than my other reports.  How did ur report look when you apped.

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 23
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@eparker wrote:

I hoping to app with Amex again as well.  I had a card back in 1986, I was in the military and decided I was to young to deal with that card at the time.  But I have som baddies I need to get off.  More on Experian than my other reports.  How did ur report look when you apped.

Not so great, which I one of the reasons that I was shocked by receiving the offer and subsequent approval. A couple of old COs and CAs that will age off between this year and next, and a few scattered lates from over a year ago.

But, upon reflection, I DO have a few things that I believe work in my favor, and might have mitigated the baddies. I own my home and have lived here for the last 17 years, and I've had the same employment for 15 years. I know that they look at these things to indicate stability. Also, I've had my Cap1 Visa since 1999, another (formerly Providian) Visa from 2001 that is reporting as open and in good standing, and I very recently closed a FP that I've had since 1999, all of which demonstrate that I can maintain a credit relationship over the course of a good number of years. Also, a paid off auto loan that was never late. All of my recently opened accounts (last year and this) are squeaky clean, and I'm determined to keep it that way.

Your scores are a little bit higher than mine. Would you mind sharing the details of your reports? What baddies do you have, and are they old?

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 23
Trondul
Valued Member

I'm in the same boat as you.  I've spent several years getting my credit back in shape.  My big baddy, a student loan default, rehabs in July.  A few months ago I got an offer for an Amex green and figured, what the hell, see what they say?  I did, and sure enough I got it.

Like you, I treated it carefully the first month and just charged up a couple hundred dollars in everyday expenses and then paid them online the next week (they don't seem to mind this actually.)   The next month I bought an iPad 2 that I'd been saving for and paid it off immediately after the transaction posted. 

Just a few weeks ago I figured, "Let's see what this thing will do!" and bought a MacBook Pro for $2300 for work on it.  After years of low limit cards I was frankly shocked it went through. Of course, as soon as I got the expense check back from my employer I paid it off. 

It is so nice to see the years of meticulous work paying off.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a similar situation as the OP (Member since 2000 for me) and recently got my Amex; embossed with 11.

I went with RayRocks comment and called ............ I'll have my 'revised' Amex in 9-12 days lol.

Message 16 of 23
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I was in a similar situation as the OP (Member since 2000 for me) and recently got my Amex; embossed with 11.

I went with RayRocks comment and called ............ I'll have my 'revised' Amex in 9-12 days lol.

You stated that you were in a similar situation to mine, so I hope that you don't mind my asking -- did you have an unpaid CO with them? If so, how did you go about requesting that and avoiding raising any raised flags? (I still can't figure out how I avoided the blacklist.)

ETA: Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an unpaid somethingorother from 2001.

Several years later I had called to pay the charge but they had already paid it/charged it off and they actually didn't want payment.  So that was that.

I applied online last year, rejected.

I again applied online last month (two weeks ago) and got it (back)!

Message 18 of 23
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an unpaid somethingorother from 2001.

Several years later I had called to pay the charge but they had already paid it/charged it off and they actually didn't want payment.  So that was that.

I applied online last year, rejected.

I again applied online last month (two weeks ago) and got it (back)!

Well, congratulations to you! It seems that you applied about the same time that I did. They must have been in a forgiving mood. Smiley Happy

If I may ask once more... how did you approach them about changing the date on your card?

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did just like RayRocks mentioned.  I called and asked for a card that matched my online profile and they said sure.  It was really that simple lol

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.