Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my Citi - AAdvantage MC Today - question

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Received my Citi - AAdvantage MC Today - question

All, I received my Citi AAdvantage card today and reading through the brochure I found this interesting.  I would like to get your opinions.

More Spending Power:  AA WMC has no pre-set spending limit, along with a revolving credit line.  You will not incur over-the-limit fees for each month in which you spend beyond the revolving line.  Any charges over your credit line will be billed in full on your next billing statement.

So even with my set limit, if I use this card for business travel and my reimbursements are not aligned with my credit card due dates I should be able to book flights with this card even if the cost is more than the available balance?  This would be very powerful as this is what I am looking for.  Please tell me where the traps are.

Thanks, Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Received my Citi - AAdvantage MC Today - question

There is a hard limit they will let you go over, any amount that takes you over your set limit must be paid back post next statement plus the normal minimum payment. If you are one who PIF then its not a problem.

Message 2 of 6
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Yes, you're correct.  WMC is a flexible spending credit card, so even though you have a hard limit you can still go over it as long as you pay the balance down under your given limit.  For example, my Citi WMC has $2k limit and had $650 balance on it...for this month I paid $1650 w/ this card so technically i went over the limit.  Then right away I paid it off so I was fine. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 6
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

let me take a stab at it....

yes, it means that you can spend over your hard cl without getting charged any over limit fees. BUT, any amount you charge over your limit is due in full on your statement due date. i.e. if your cl was $5k and you charged $5,250, that $250 + whatever your minimum payment due for that billing period is what you need to pay.

(apparently i type slow lol)

Message 4 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

let me take a stab at it....

yes, it means that you can spend over your hard cl without getting charged any over limit fees. BUT, any amount you charge over your limit is due in full on your statement due date. i.e. if your cl was $5k and you charged $5,250, that $250 + whatever your minimum payment due for that billing period is what you need to pay.

(apparently i type slow lol)

+1...You are correct, sir!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just note though that it is not automatic.  Citi can deny a charge that puts you over the CL, they will just often allow it, but not guaranteed.  And with non-sig/world cards, an issuer can still allow over the limit charges (and can't charge a fee unless you have opted in).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.