cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Turned 18, looking for my best options for a credit card!

tag
NEWKID11084

Recently Turned 18, looking for my best options for a credit card!

Hey everyone!

I recently turned 18, and have been an AU on family members cards for almost about a year, and have Fico 8 scores@ EQ-683 EX-733 TU-702. I am a college student and I have family support to pay the monthly payment, I am curious what cards or card would be best, as I am trying to reach the 800s by the end of the year! Thanks so much in advance for your input and recommendations!

12 REPLIES 12
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Recently Turned 18, looking for my best options for a credit card!

welcome!

i would try for a Cap1 or Discover card to start you off

good luck on your credit progress!

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Disco all the way. My daughter turned 18 in June, and like you, she had been an AU on a couple of my cards for over a year. They gave her the Student Cash back card, $1500 unsecured starting line. It has the same cash back structure as the regular Discover It card. 

I imagine she might have got a $300-$500 limit card through Cap 1 that would likely never grow much, based on others experience. 

You can do a prequalification on Disco's site with no damage to your credit score. Their prequals are pretty solid if you get prequalified. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

i always list Cap1 as an option, as they were my starting cards - i still have one that is 11 years old, my oldest, and it is at $16750

i also had the Cap1 Plat (now closed) that grew from $300- $6950 over a 5/6 year period

so i continue to recommend them in addition to Disco

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on personal experience, I'd have to agree with @RSX regarding Capital One.  My QS started as a Platinum and it's my 2nd oldest account at 14+ years.  It took years to grow the CL, but it's worth it to me.  

@JNA1's vote for Discover is an excellent option too.  I sometimes regret that I didn't apply for an account with them when I started with credit cards, as I've (continually) read tons of good things about them. 

Message 5 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I respect you guy's opinions/thoughts on the Cap 1 cards - It's just that the starter cards don't seem to grow like they used to, based on our experience and a ton of other people here in recent years. They also typically start out way lower than Disco. 

My Dad had an old Cap 1 card that had a huge limit and it served him well, as he didn't chase rewards or anything like that. 

The bottom line for us is that I started my journey with a Disco and we started DW's with a Cap 1 QS, and the QS is sock drawered, and we still use the Disco card regularly. 

Both would be fine for building credit though. I would just personally would recommend the Disco over the Cap 1. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 13
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My Fico Forums, @NEWKID11084Smiley Happy 

I think the perfect solution for you would be a dedicated "STUDENT" credit card.  Many of the major lenders offer them, they include cash back rewards, and they love approving students like you for them so they can build a lending relationship with a new customer as they begin their adult financial life.   I suggested some options below.  Unlike the "bucketed" low-limit cards mentioned above for building/rebuilding (ie Capital One), I believe the student cards would not be as inhibited. (Disclaimer: I never had a student card.)  The nice thing about student cards is that lenders have different expectations for approvals regarding factors such as income/employment which takes into consideration the different lifestyle and needs of students.   And with some time and payment history, they may send you a preselected offer for one of their regular cards or agree to do a product-conversion of your student card to a mainstream version. 

You also might consider where you do your banking as whether it's a national bank, regional bank, or credit union, they may be more credit-friendly to a thin credit profile with deposit accounts. 

I would stay away from "secured" cards.  They shouldn't be necessary since your credit is just thin, not bad or recovering from adverse information.  I would also stay away from the banks that target "subprime" profiles like Credit One Bank or Merrick Bank.  Subprime cards have additional fees such as application, monthly, or annual fees; lower if any rewards; lower-than-average credit limits; and higher-than-average APRs.  Again, if your credit is 683-733 range, you shouldn't need to go with these type of lenders. 

Here are some good national lenders who offer student-oriented cards.  All of these cards (except for the lower APR Bankamericard) offer some type of cash back rewards program paying at least 1%.

With your credit scores from the AU cards and if you have some income to report, you may qualify for some of the non-student mainstream cards like a regular Quicksilver, Freedom, or Discover but I think the student version is a safer place to start.  Good luck!

Chase

• Freedom Student Visa

Bank of America

• Customized Cash Rewards for Students Visa
  • Unlimited Cash Rewards for Students Visa
  • Travel Rewards for Students Visa
  • BankAmericard for Students Visa

Capital One

• Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Visa
  • SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Visa
  • Journey Student Rewards Visa

Discover

• Discover IT Student Cashback card
  • Discover IT Student Chrome card

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 13
Trini88
Established Contributor

My sister started off with a Chase Student and it grew ALOT. I told my other sister to start off with a Discover Student and hers grew a lot as well. I personally like Capital One, I have 3 credit cards from them but I don't recommend their student credit card if you're looking for growth, Capital One won't get them there. If I had started my journey early I would have personally gone for the Bank Of America student credit card.

Goal Cards:
Message 8 of 13
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@NEWKID11084 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I recently turned 18, and have been an AU on family members cards for almost about a year, and have Fico 8 scores@ EQ-683 EX-733 TU-702. I am a college student and I have family support to pay the monthly payment, I am curious what cards or card would be best, as I am trying to reach the 800s by the end of the year! Thanks so much in advance for your input and recommendations!

Check out the Bank Of America student card. It gives 3% on a category of your choice, and 1% on everything else. It is a card any student with minimal income can qualify for as long as you don't have any negatives on your report.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@folks19 wrote:

@NEWKID11084 wrote:

Hey everyone!

Check out the Bank Of America student card. It gives 3% on a category of your choice, and 1% on everything else. It is a card any student with minimal income can qualify for as long as you don't have any negatives on your report.

discover student card. don't be under the impression that a student card can't grow Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.