cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

tag
jclark1183
Valued Member

Re: Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

@thorjo1984 wrote:

Should I apply for both cards the same day or should I spread it out? Is there one I should apply for first? 

Also, I do a good bit of purchasing on Amazon. I know they offer their own card with 3x points on Amazon purchases. I may just have to get that at some point was well.

Really depends on your score and the amount of INQ's you've had recently, etc.  You can get 3% off Amazon with a BCP card; it counts Amazon as a department store I believe.

If you have a limited amount of INQ's, I would go for apping on the same day.  I just got bot the BCP and CSP on the same day last week.  Amex pulled EX and Chase pulled TU for me (YMMV on that one).  My Amex acceptance letter said my FICO score was 785.  I had a group of inquiries for a mortgage refi and recent auto loan, but no other CC applications.

Message 41 of 84
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Re: Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

I'm going to say AmEx first if you don't already have one.  Then apply for Chase.  Chase is easier to Recon for even if they see your INQ at AmEx imo.. but YMMV. I did it the other way around, both pulled Ex.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 42 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

I have a pretty good understaning of where my money goes. I spend roughly $400-500 a month on dining. $80-$100 on Gas, $200-$300 on Groceries, and $100-$500 on Amazon and I'm planning on building a new computer soon which will run roughly $2,000 and many of the parts I will be getting from Amazon. I also buy clothes from department stores but usually only $500-$800 a year.

So

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - Groceries (6x), Gas (3x), Department Stores (3x)

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Dining (2x) 

Whats the best card for "everything else"? Something that has more than 1pt per $1 for everything.

Message 43 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

My score is 771, I have 0 inquiries. If BCP counts amazon as a department store that would be awesome.

Message 44 of 84
jclark1183
Valued Member

I would use the BCP over the Amazon card since they both give you 3% back.  I decided personally to go with the Sapphire for the sign up bonus and the ability to utilize the Chase Freedom-checking acct-Sapphire combo.  Also FYI in case you didn't know the Amazon card is a Chase card as well

Message 45 of 84
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

@thorjo1984 wrote:

Whats the best card for "everything else"? Something that has more than 1pt per $1 for everything.

You could try the BoA Acell Rewards AmEx card.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 46 of 84
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Be careful. Chase in my view is very inquiry-sensitive. I have a credit profile similar to yours. I was turned down for a Chase card due to one recent inquiry (one month old).

Message 47 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

I'll give Amex a call to confirm if Amazon is considered a department store. I have a Chase checking account so the Chase card appeals to me. I may also call Bank of America to see if they'll swtich my Rewards Platinum Plus card to their accelerated rewards card.

Message 48 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I will apply to the Chase card first. Question, how fast do inquiries post to your credit? If I do it within an hour of eachother will they be able to see the inquiry?

Message 49 of 84
jclark1183
Valued Member

With a Chase checking, you might find this worthwhile...

Chase combo

Message 50 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.