cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

Haven't visited the forums in forever, but I've had some issues with DC being declined for no reason lately and I'm ready to find another card to be my daily-driver for general spend. Have AmEx BCP for grocery and gas (I know gas could be better, but SO doesn't play the credit game so it's a KISS situation for me) and this will be our everything-else card.

Credit scores should be good and no HP in recent past, last would have been an auto loan 2.5+ years ago. I'm open to any suggestions and SUB would be high priority if there are any nice ones out there. Typical monthly spend is about 3-4k, so I think we can hit most SUB spend requirements without an issue. Thanks for any advice, and if there's a better place to ask please I apologize.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

@disdreamin wrote:

Haven't visited the forums in forever, but I've had some issues with DC being declined for no reason lately and I'm ready to find another card to be my daily-driver for general spend. Have AmEx BCP for grocery and gas (I know gas could be better, but SO doesn't play the credit game so it's a KISS situation for me) and this will be our everything-else card.

Credit scores should be good and no HP in recent past, last would have been an auto loan 2.5+ years ago. I'm open to any suggestions and SUB would be high priority if there are any nice ones out there. Typical monthly spend is about 3-4k, so I think we can hit most SUB spend requirements without an issue. Thanks for any advice, and if there's a better place to ask please I apologize.

There are some other great choices in the 2% to 3% range for pure honest CASH back. (not points)

Recent and very "HOT" 3% uncapped, uncategorized cash back card is from a small local CU in Alabama, AODFCU.  They (may) be clamping down on out-of-geofence approvals but many of us got in the door last month thru joining one of a few membership associations.   Besides the original "master thread" I referenced below, if you search the forums for AOD or AODFCU, you'll find multiple other threads with approvals or data points or reviews. 

See this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Juicy-new-3-CB-offering-from-local-CU/td-p/5971983

Also, lots of recent 2% cash-back threads.  My favorite is the PenFed FCU Power Cash Rewards but there are others.  See this link to previous thread where I posted a link to my Power Cash Review.  (That review also lists most of the other 2% cash-back options.)  My postings is message #3 on page #1 of the thread.

See this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Best-2-Card-Showdown/td-p/6006744

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 35
Kforce
Valued Contributor

"https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Best-2-Card-Showdown/m-p/6006744#M1718548"

or search "Best 2% Card Showdown"

This is a recent thread about the best 2% general spend cards.

All have followers and others that dislike.

You should read and by the end have an idea of the one or two you might like the best.

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

There are some other great choices in the 2% to 3% range for pure honest CASH back. (not points)

Recent and very "HOT" 3% uncapped, uncategorized cash back card is from a small local CU in Alabama, AODFCU.  They (may) be clamping down on out-of-geofence approvals but many of us got in the door last month thru joining one of a few membership associations.   Besides the original "master thread" I referenced below, if you search the forums for AOD or AODFCU, you'll find multiple other threads with approvals or data points or reviews. 

See this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Juicy-new-3-CB-offering-from-local-CU/td-p/5971983

Also, lots of recent 2% cash-back threads.  My favorite is the PenFed FCU Power Cash Rewards but there are others.  See this link to previous thread where I posted a link to my Power Cash Review.  (That review also lists most of the other 2% cash-back options.)  My postings is message #3 on page #1 of the thread.

See this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Best-2-Card-Showdown/td-p/6006744

If you hit the three dots on the right and copy the Permalink, you can go right to the post.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Best-2-Card-Showdown/m-p/6006788/highlight/true#M1...

Message 4 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Just a quick note that PenFed Power Cash Rewards requires a qualifying checking account or active duty/veteran status to get 2%; it is otherwise a 1.5% cash back card.

Message 5 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Just a quick note that PenFed Power Cash Rewards requires a qualifying checking account or active duty/veteran status to get 2%; it is otherwise a 1.5% cash back card.

Yes, that is worth noting and I am a veteran. 

I still recommend this card for non-veterans since most available 2% or better cards besides the Citi DC and PayPal MC require some sort of account relationship, average balance, or direct deposit to earn more than 1.5%.  PenFed's requirement is on the low side of the requirement, though, with only needing to keep $500 average balance or a direct deposit of only $500 to earn the full 2% and waive the checking account monthly fee.   Interestingly enough, the AOD FCU 3% card requires neither of these, although you do have to be a member which requires $25 deposit to a member shares account. 

Business Cards

Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

And $500 required balance to waive the fee if you go the checking route.

PenFed is a great deal for active duty and vets but for everyone else, unless they want to just permanently tie up $500, PayPal Cashback is the best option besides other CU cards like AOD (which may or may not last).

ETA: Got ninja'd by Aim_High lol

Message 7 of 35
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Additionally, there are good  "geo-fenced" credit unions and banks with 2% cards not in that thread.

If you let the group know where you live, you might find a gem that is not open to everyone.

Message 8 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ETA: Got ninja'd by Aim_High lol

Lol ... yes you did! Smiley Tongue

ninja-emoji.jpg

Business Cards

Message 9 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Air Force counts?  😛  #branchwars

Seriously though, without military status, I agree it's not too much of a bar to do if one can at least reallocate part of their direct deposit. You can always use that to pay or partially pay your monthly statement if you  don't want to use them completely for checking. And PenFed's external bank payments work just as well and seamlessly as any bank card, which can't be said for some credit unions that require you to first transfer to a share or checking account then to the card.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.