cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

@Kforce wrote:

Additionally, there are good  "geo-fenced" credit unions and banks with 2% cards not in that thread.

If you let the group know where you live, you might find a gem that is not open to everyone.

Yeah there is still the FNBO 2% card, for example, even though it was supposed to be limited to only April. Their website appears to have gotten rid of the old 1% that became 2% if deposited into FNBO.

https://www.fnbo.com/personal-banking/credit-cards/?stackControl050120

Most states seem to have a 2% CU card somewhere (well, not CO but most other states I have looked at).

Message 11 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Additionally, there are good  "geo-fenced" credit unions and banks with 2% cards not in that thread.

If you let the group know where you live, you might find a gem that is not open to everyone.

That's true, and there's a bunch of them. 

I listed several of them in the thread link I mentioned earlier:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Penfed-PCR-Approval/m-p/5901752#M655426

Also there was a recent thread on

2% Cash Back Credit Union cards:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-Unions-with-2-cash-back-cards/td-p/5706397

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I like 2% fights 

Message 13 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Air Force counts?  😛  #branchwars

What can I say ... except ...

AIM_HIGH 

US AIR FORCESmiley Very Happy

USAF_Thunderbirds.jpg

Business Cards

Message 14 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Seriously though, without military status, I agree it's not too much of a bar to do if one can at least reallocate part of their direct deposit. You can always use that to pay or partially pay your monthly statement if you  don't want to use them completely for checking. And PenFed's external bank payments work just as well and seamlessly as any bank card, which can't be said for some credit unions that require you to first transfer to a share or checking account then to the card.

All good points. 

What I also like to point out is that PenFed has good banking products compared to many competitors, so shifting to bank primarily with them is a reasonable choice.  For example:

• PenFed pays 0.20% APR on their Access America checking on balances up to $20K.  The monthly fee is waived if you maintain the $500 DD or $500 ADB.  
  • Navy Federal, on the other hand, pays only 0.05% on their free checking accounts and to earn the higher 0.35% APR on Flagship Checking, you must maintain $1500 ADB to avoid fees. 
  • My local credit union pays 0.05% on checking, which is much better than the national banks. 
  • And USAA Classic Checking only pays 0.01% on balances over $1K.

Also, PenFed offers a competitive-rate money market savings account.  Even in this down market, still paying 1.25% APR. 

Business Cards

Message 15 of 35
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the replies!

To be frank, I'm not looking for another credit union or banking relationship as part of this deal, just a pure credit card account. I've already got more bank/CU accounts than I'm willing to juggle right now. I hadn't seen the huge 2% thread previously, so thank you for the links to the appropriate thread(s)!

I'm seriously debating just pickup up CSP and calling it good enough. I just need to get the spend off the DC and onto something else sooner rather than later.

Message 16 of 35
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

To be frank, I'm not looking for another credit union or banking relationship as part of this deal, just a pure credit card account. I've already got more bank/CU accounts than I'm willing to juggle right now. I hadn't seen the huge 2% thread previously, so thank you for the links to the appropriate thread(s)!

I'm seriously debating just pickup up CSP and calling it good enough. I just need to get the spend off the DC and onto something else sooner rather than later.

If you go that route, maybe pair it with a CFU? Or just get the CFU at 1.5% and only lose the .5% from DC? The Chase shopping portal can net you extra cashback on online purchases and 5-10% extra on Chase offers.

Message 17 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

You're welcome.  Why don't we attack it this way since you don't want new banking? 

Who *do* you currently bank with? That will help us give you better suggestions. 

Also, what other cards do you have besides the CITI Doublecash and the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred? 

Also, what are your top spending categories since SO wants to keep it simple?    And for best redemption, are you willing to save up for travel or would you rather have cash?  CSP is a good card but you get much better payout on dining and travel categories with it and it pays best for travel redemption.  You'd only get 1 point (1%) for cash redemption on everything else which isn't very good.  For travel redemption, you get the 25% bonus so 1.25%.  Meanwhile, you'd get the 1.5% back on Freedom.  Or if you did both (even if it was only you carrying the CSP and let SO keep it simple with the CFU), you'd get the 25% bump on CFU points from SO to give you almost the same return as DC (1.50% x 1.25% = 1.875% payout for UR travel.)

Business Cards

Message 18 of 35
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

I'd go the Penfed route if you can get the Checking for free. Also they have a promotion if you deposit $1,200 and use your debit card 5 times, you get a $200 bonus for new accounts.

I still prefers PayPal because to me .2 is not enough to bank there as a main bank and I also don't want to waste $500 dollars that i could be putting into a high yield savings.  So to me if I can put that $500 in say a 4% account the annual fee for that card is around $15 dollars. Not worth it if I have a 2% that costs me nothing. I don't mind Paypal, but others may hate them so it's really personal preference.

But that's just my personal two cents.

Hope you find your card!

ETA: I have high yield with some hoops checking as main accounts so the .2 APY is null for me.

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 19 of 35
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I have the 2% cards mentioned here, Citi DCB, PenFed 2%, and the PayPal MC.

You may also want to consider the USBank Cash+ card. It allows you to self select your two 5% categories. I use Home Utilities and Cell Phones and usually earn $35 a month. Even if the Utility company charges me 2.4% to use a credit card, I am still earning 2.6% on my utilities. I am lucky in that my electric company does not charge a fee for using a credit card.

You can also select a 2% cash back category from all listed,

Also, look into the Discover Card. They have quarterly 5% cash back categories (currently gas and warehouse clubs) and if it is a new card I believe they are still doubling your cash back the first year, making it a 2% card the first year.

Plenty of options.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.