cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

I currently have Chase Disney and FU, Barclay (forget which products but in the process of being closed since I SD'd them quite a while ago and don't like anything Barclay currently offers enough to stay with them), and the aforementioned AmEx BCP and Citi DC. I should probably check the CL on the CFU and just go with that for the time being. I am frustrated with Citi's handling of some issues with the DC card over the past couple months, which is why I want to switch my spend over. Having to repeatedly make phone calls to use my card is not something I have a lot of patience for.

 

As far as banking, we have accounts with Key, USAA, Chase and a small local CU that doesn't have any tempting products. I really don't want any more checking or savings accounts to keep track of, I'm lazy!

Message 21 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@disdreamin wrote:

I currently have Chase Disney and FU, Barclay (forget which products but in the process of being closed since I SD'd them quite a while ago and don't like anything Barclay currently offers enough to stay with them), and the aforementioned AmEx BCP and Citi DC. I should probably check the CL on the CFU and just go with that for the time being. I am frustrated with Citi's handling of some issues with the DC card over the past couple months, which is why I want to switch my spend over. Having to repeatedly make phone calls to use my card is not something I have a lot of patience for.

 

As far as banking, we have accounts with Key, USAA, Chase and a small local CU that doesn't have any tempting products. I really don't want any more checking or savings accounts to keep track of, I'm lazy!


That was easy.  Here's your card! 

Key Bank Cashback Mastercard.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.kmwien1h-LiElLBHIpDOiwHaEy%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Pays 1.5% cash back on all purchases.

Pays 2.0% cash back on all purchases if you have

$1K monthly direct deposit and maintain $1K

balance in savings or investments.

 

Of course, if you want to add the CSP like we discussed in my last posting, you could use CFU for most of spend and then redeem for up to 1.875% in travel by transferring rewards to CSP UR portal.  Simple to do. 

 

Or USAA has a basic 1.5% cash back card as well (Preferred Cash Rewards), so you would also not need to set up additional accounts.  However, there's no option with it to earn 2% like there is with the Key Bank card.

 

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/bank-featurette_PreferredCash_Front_Emb_VisaSig_iso_promo.png?cacheid=300947267_p

 



Updated 05/18/2020
Total Length of Credit = 35+ years; AoOA (Currently open accounts) = 26+ years;
AAoA = 8+ years; AoYA = less than 1 year (April 2020)
Total Open Credit Lines Over $492K. Utilization Less Than 1%. Inquiries until Nov 2020 (TU:2 -- EQ:4 -- EX:6)
*Hover cursor over each card to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 22 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@sabrewulf152 wrote:

 ... because to me .2 is not enough to bank there as a main bank and I also don't want to waste $500 dollars that i could be putting into a high yield savings.  So to me if I can put that $500 in say a 4% account the annual fee for that card is around $15 dollars. Not worth it if I have a 2% that costs me nothing.


I understand this argument but remember that OP wanted to simplify things and was not interested in opening additional bank accounts.  So yes, your suggestion of PenFed ... or one of his existing banking relationships ... is a better option under the circumstances.

 

And for anyone reading this who is enticed by a 4% yield, it's not as easy as it sounds!   I know there are options out there earning this type of high interest on checking accounts, but anything earning over about 2% has strings attached and hoops to jump through monthly.  Whether it's a cap on the amount that earns the high rate (called a "velocity limit"), or a direct deposit of a certain amount, or a minumum daily balance, or a certain number of debit card transactions, or e-statements only ... or all of the above, they all have stipulations to trip you up so that they don't have to pay.  Some may not only pay much less interest but also charge a fee if you fail to meet certain requirements.  Plus a lot of the lenders providing these accounts may be geofenced or would require someone to do their primary banking with a distant financial institution instead of at a local branch where they can walk in to do business if they so choose.  So while the higher rewards are there if you do the work, it's a matter if someone is willing to do all that.  

 

Meanwhile, true high-yield money market savings accounts (where you can simply deposit your money to grow and not have to accomplish other requirements to avoid fees or earn the highest yields) are only earning between about 1% and 2% right now.  That substantially reduces the "effective AF" margin rate in the example if you don't want the hassles.

 

Comparing credit union or bank checking accounts where there is either much less (or no) standards to maintain to earn interest, getting 0.20% return on a minimal $500 balance is actually exceptional.  Many checking accounts don't pay interest at all or else it's pathetically low (0.01 or 0.02%.)  Navy Federal requires $1500 ADB to avoid $10 monthly fee and earn 0.35% APR.  (And not that I would ever purchase one, but that 0.20% rate on the PenFed checking is the same rate Chase Bank currently pays on a minimum $10K CD with 18-month term.)

 

As Doctor of Credit puts it in their listing of these 'Mega-High Interest' accounts, "You’ll never be netting more than $1,000 in annual interest from any of these accounts, and it’s usually much less than that. Someone who is impatient or doesn’t have spare time would best use a standard high-interest savings account options and forget about the velocity-limited accounts."



Updated 05/18/2020
Total Length of Credit = 35+ years; AoOA (Currently open accounts) = 26+ years;
AAoA = 8+ years; AoYA = less than 1 year (April 2020)
Total Open Credit Lines Over $492K. Utilization Less Than 1%. Inquiries until Nov 2020 (TU:2 -- EQ:4 -- EX:6)
*Hover cursor over each card to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@Kforce wrote:

"https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Best-2-Card-Showdown/m-p/6006744#M1718548"

or search "Best 2% Card Showdown"

Shameless plug. That post has so many discussion so I recommend going through that thread to get a better idea.

 

@Aim_High 

@Kforce 

 

Thank you for the reference.


Wallet:

Sock Drawer:

Future:


Message 24 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

No Apple Card love? 2% when using Apple Pay which is basically everywhere these days, and the redemption process couldn't be easier.

Message 25 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@Aftermath747 wrote:

No Apple Card love? 2% when using Apple Pay which is basically everywhere these days, and the redemption process couldn't be easier.


While Apple Pay is accepted many places, I was often disappointed at not being able to use the Apple Pay feature.   Many more locations do not have Apple Pay than have it, from my experience.  True, I got 3% at Walgreens with it but I don't buy a lot from Apple (at 3% also.)  The 2% with Apple Pay only matched my PenFed Cash Rewards at 2% and falls behind the 3% uncategorized on my new AOD Visa card.  In particular, the 1% back with the physical card is lackluster when there are tons of 1.5% or better cards out there.  My Chase Freedom Unlimited and Capital One Quicksilver both beat that.  I won't cancel mine and will continue to use it some but it probably won't ever be a daily driver for me unless they enhance the program benefits or until Apple Pay becomes truly universally accepted. 



Updated 05/18/2020
Total Length of Credit = 35+ years; AoOA (Currently open accounts) = 26+ years;
AAoA = 8+ years; AoYA = less than 1 year (April 2020)
Total Open Credit Lines Over $492K. Utilization Less Than 1%. Inquiries until Nov 2020 (TU:2 -- EQ:4 -- EX:6)
*Hover cursor over each card to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 26 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@sabrewulf152 wrote:

I'd go the Penfed route if you can get the Checking for free. Also they have a promotion if you deposit $1,200 and use your debit card 5 times, you get a $200 bonus for new accounts.

 

I still prefers PayPal because to me .2 is not enough to bank there as a main bank and I also don't want to waste $500 dollars that i could be putting into a high yield savings.  So to me if I can put that $500 in say a 4% account the annual fee for that card is around $15 dollars. Not worth it if I have a 2% that costs me nothing. I don't mind Paypal, but others may hate them so it's really personal preference.

 

But that's just my personal two cents.

 

Hope you find your card!

 

ETA: I have high yield with some hoops checking as main accounts so the .2 APY is null for me.

 

 


PenFed pulled their bank bonus early. Expired now. 

I would consider either PenFed or Chase FU if you have a CSP/CSR if you are fine w travel redemption in the future. 

Message 27 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@Aim_High wrote:

@Aftermath747 wrote:

No Apple Card love? 2% when using Apple Pay which is basically everywhere these days, and the redemption process couldn't be easier.


While Apple Pay is accepted many places, I was often disappointed at not being able to use the Apple Pay feature.   Many more locations do not have Apple Pay than have it, from my experience.  True, I got 3% at Walgreens with it but I don't buy a lot from Apple (at 3% also.)  The 2% with Apple Pay only matched my PenFed Cash Rewards at 2% and falls behind the 3% uncategorized on my new AOD Visa card.  In particular, the 1% back with the physical card is lackluster when there are tons of 1.5% or better cards out there.  My Chase Freedom Unlimited and Capital One Quicksilver both beat that.  I won't cancel mine and will continue to use it some but it probably won't ever be a daily driver for me unless they enhance the program benefits or until Apple Pay becomes truly universally accepted. 


It's sad that Apple gives members a metal card, but the 2% is only with Apple Pay. 

 

I want to whip out the card and hear that metal goodness. 


Wallet:

Sock Drawer:

Future:


Message 28 of 35
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?


@victorytrinity wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Aftermath747 wrote:

No Apple Card love? 2% when using Apple Pay which is basically everywhere these days, and the redemption process couldn't be easier.


While Apple Pay is accepted many places, I was often disappointed at not being able to use the Apple Pay feature.   Many more locations do not have Apple Pay than have it, from my experience.  True, I got 3% at Walgreens with it but I don't buy a lot from Apple (at 3% also.)  The 2% with Apple Pay only matched my PenFed Cash Rewards at 2% and falls behind the 3% uncategorized on my new AOD Visa card.  In particular, the 1% back with the physical card is lackluster when there are tons of 1.5% or better cards out there.  My Chase Freedom Unlimited and Capital One Quicksilver both beat that.  I won't cancel mine and will continue to use it some but it probably won't ever be a daily driver for me unless they enhance the program benefits or until Apple Pay becomes truly universally accepted. 


It's sad that Apple gives members a metal card, but the 2% is only with Apple Pay. 

 

I want to whip out the card and hear that metal goodness. 


Yes, the card is nice and upscale.  It needs to give (at least) 1.5% back as a base, though.  They could maintain the selected 2%/3% rewards and still afford to give a basic 1.5% back. 

 

Another irritation I forgot to mention is how they designed it to be all electronic and tied to your iPhone.  Personally, I like my paper statements and don't want to have to go print them monthly if I want them.  But the real frustration is not having a separate app and website to manage the account.  It all has to be done through iPhone mobile wallet.  I've only had an iPhone for less than a year.  What if I decide I want to go back to Android or another platform?  It's just another hook Apple puts in its' users to keep them engaged, and I don't like being manipulated like that. 



Updated 05/18/2020
Total Length of Credit = 35+ years; AoOA (Currently open accounts) = 26+ years;
AAoA = 8+ years; AoYA = less than 1 year (April 2020)
Total Open Credit Lines Over $492K. Utilization Less Than 1%. Inquiries until Nov 2020 (TU:2 -- EQ:4 -- EX:6)
*Hover cursor over each card to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 29 of 35
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Recommendation on card to replace Citi DC?

Suppose some bank approached you and said:

 

"Psst.  I have this great credit card.  Gives you 1.5% cash back.  2% for veterans.

But here's a special offer just for you.  If you loan me $500, I'll give you the veteran rate and bump it to 2%.

You have to leave that $500 with me.  You can neither use it nor tell me what to do with it. 

If you want me to repay you all or any part of your $500 loan, the card reverts back to 1.5%.

What do you say?"

 

Most people's answer:  "No thanks.  I can get 2% or better elsewhere without loaning the bank money."

 

A certain veteran's answer (who gets 2% without the loan requirement):  "Everyone should love this card!  Please love this card!  Pretty please!"

 

Thank you sincerely for your service to this nation.  I mean that.  You are a true hero in my book.  But honestly, the plugs for the card described above get a little tiring after awhile.  It's simply not a good deal for non-vets.  

15%+ SUBS on Taxes, Homeowners Dues, Large Purchases
10% on Quarterly Categories
8%+ on Hotels
7% on Groceries, Restaurants & Bars
5% on Travel, Gas, Online Shopping, Home Utilities, Drugstores, Gym Memberships, Streaming, Department Stores
3.5% on Everything Else
***************
Plus Ebates, BeFrugal, TopCashBack, etc.
***************
Plus 6+ Free Nights, $450 Airline Incidentals, $120 Food Credits, $100 Global Entry, Cell Phone Insurance, Trip Insurance & Various Program Status
***************
For $1264 in Annual Fees
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.