cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

tag
BoSox617
Contributor

Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

Hi all,

I’m thinking of applying for a credit/charge card (for excellent credit) with travel-related benefits – specifically, a card that offers rewards for use on both hotels and flights (domestic).  I like flexibility, so being forced into using a certain airline or hotel chain isn’t that appealing.  I don’t currently travel at all – so I would be earning points/miles/whatever through “regular” spending.

I have seen some pretty interesting bonuses at sign up for several cards, so it looks like one could get a significant portion of a vacation “paid” for with benefits.

How is the AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest card?  This card seems to offer flexibility in both airlines and hotels – it also offers an initial bonus of 25K Starpoints, enough for up to 6 free nights at a Category 1 or 2 hotel .  I don’t currently have an AMEX, so would that matter, or do I need to start out with some other card?

Any other recommendations? 

Thanks very much for your time. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Re: Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

When you looking at a travel card there are two that I am a fan of. One is the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card which is the card I have and I have no complaints. You earn 3x points on airfare, 2x points on gas & groceries, 1x point on everything else. This helps with earning points (I opened mine in November and with the initial bonus plus my spending I am in FLA right now on a free flight I earned from my points. Also you can transfer points to partner airlines, hotels, etc... Another card which comes with a higher annual fee is the American Express Platinum card. If you are a frequent traveler the lounge access, rental car agreements, as well as plenty of other perks can make the annual fee worth it. As far as the Starwood card I am not familiar but I am sure others can comment.
What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.