cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for the near term of my long game for thin, young file?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Recommendations for the near term of my long game for thin, young file?

@Remedios wrote:

I'm going to cry 

Now, you promised you weren't... Remember that thing you said about you loving long novels on the beach and whatnot? Or, was that ...walks 🤔 

972A57F1-86F8-4B91-84F6-19C738856B6D.gif

Message 71 of 143
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I ❤️ 🍰

Message 72 of 143
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

I ❤️ 🍰

I know 😋

DA0410CD-2473-4BCD-A850-E023F231C819.gif

Message 73 of 143
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@uncredited wrote:

@Who_wuda_thoughtTrue. Even though I only have the EO and not the AZ part, I still "practice" Smiley Happy. But they don't make it easy!

@AnonymalousThat makes sense. I think I might have figured out what discover does.  They report statement balance from the 24th , the balance when when the statement is cut, but they don't actually report it (at least to TU) until the 18th the day before the payment is due.  So my score actually should go up next week because the low (under 5%) util I had last statement won't be posted until next week, the report still shows January's balance (12%)  until mar18 when it will show Feb.  If course I won't app until after the statement to try to get cli so then I'm still in unknown territory.

To be clear, I don't carry balances but with a statement on the 24th and a pay date on the 19th, the statement date ends up mid cycle when you have charges on the card with normal usage and slow transaction posting.  I might time payments differently due to that for real azeo, but it doesnt help the apps now. Also sucks that I won't be putting charges on it for the next 2.2 weeks because I can't risk that they update ex or eq differently just before doing one to two apps, even if that hurts sli odds. I'm nervous enough that there are $400 in pending charges still not posted to pay off....

@KforceThat payment day thing is a big perk.   Discover does that, payment counts the day you arrange it. I do love that especially since my bank is slow as molasses with ach. Like 2-4 business days, never weekends, slow.

I'll definitely wait and see what @Remedios has so say to a few of those questions about WF, auto cli etc. WF does have one cool hidden perk, you can see your whole EX report, so it's kinda like a free low tier myfico sub included.

There's also that Citi is mc, while the cobrand and Amazon chase are both Visa. So if I do wf or evergreen I'm all visa with no mc. Maybe doesnt matter. My debit is mc.

Youre both very high on evergreen, and I'd indeed just go with you and jump on it if the next card in the lineup weren't also fnbo.

Let's workshop evergreen then. If card 2 is evergreen that means card 3 can't be fnbo cobrand, that'll have to be later. It also can't be chase Amazon because chase, waiting for thicker file and more age, and they're the last one you want to spree on.

So then what should card 3 be (#2 of the spree).  Kinda leaves amex just to have an Amex (and their plan it low interest installments for big purchases, which I'd use. Citi has it too, but only if you get a good apr is it useful). Or Citi cc (which doesnt make sense to just be back to Citi anyway, though they seem to be trying to solicit me for that one).  PayPal Credit? Weird one, but permanent 6 months no interest is the best balance carry card around..... For anything not bought at Amazon anyway. 

I'd essentially need to get something other than either store cobrand I'm looking at....

Though you guys do make that sound worth it. If I did go that way, any of the above done like good or bad bets?  I'd then do the cobrands (Chase Amazon/fnbo cobrand) in 6-12 mo?  Chase first maybe because then I'd be at 3/24.

I think the only advice I can offer you is don't apply for any cards, you aren't ready.

Cards you are considering don't have complex rewards structures, they are almost identical, you only have one card so it's not like you're looking to avoid duplicate benefits and yet here we are, no closer... probably a bit further than you were when you first started.

Focus is jumping from one thing to another, if limit is addressed, approval becomes issue. If approval/denial is addressed, HPs become an issue.

Right when that appears to be going somewhere, lender itself becomes an issue.

And then, CLI method before even being approved becomes a criteria. 

It just appears that whatever you're being offered in terms of advice is met with counterpoint and additional questions. 

I just don't think you quite know what you want and where you want to look for it. Thread is starting to resemble to those instances where it appears we're trying to convince you to apply instead of purely offering info on cards.  

Another thing, no matter what you decide, you will think it was a bad decision. If SL is low "should have gone with..." will happen. If denied, same. If you have a single bad experience after approval, same.

So maybe give yourself more time, more we throw at you, less likely you're to decide and/or be content with your decision regardless of outcome. 

There is nothing wrong with being thoughtful, but indecisiveness can also be mistaken for thoughtfulness. Indecisiveness is the sign of doubting one will reach the right decision, so maybe postpone decision making. If/when second card becomes an absolute necessity for you, the decision will come easy.  

I'm sure there will be others with different perspective, maybe they will offer something that hasn't been covered in the last 70+ posts. 

I do hope to see an approval thread from you some day. 

Message 74 of 143
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I ❤️ 🍰

I know 😋

DA0410CD-2473-4BCD-A850-E023F231C819.gif

Beam me up to the 🍰🌍👽

Message 75 of 143
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@uncredited wrote:

@Who_wuda_thoughtTrue. Even though I only have the EO and not the AZ part, I still "practice" Smiley Happy. But they don't make it easy!

@AnonymalousThat makes sense. I think I might have figured out what discover does.  They report statement balance from the 24th , the balance when when the statement is cut, but they don't actually report it (at least to TU) until the 18th the day before the payment is due.  So my score actually should go up next week because the low (under 5%) util I had last statement won't be posted until next week, the report still shows January's balance (12%)  until mar18 when it will show Feb.  If course I won't app until after the statement to try to get cli so then I'm still in unknown territory.

To be clear, I don't carry balances but with a statement on the 24th and a pay date on the 19th, the statement date ends up mid cycle when you have charges on the card with normal usage and slow transaction posting.  I might time payments differently due to that for real azeo, but it doesnt help the apps now. Also sucks that I won't be putting charges on it for the next 2.2 weeks because I can't risk that they update ex or eq differently just before doing one to two apps, even if that hurts sli odds. I'm nervous enough that there are $400 in pending charges still not posted to pay off....

@KforceThat payment day thing is a big perk.   Discover does that, payment counts the day you arrange it. I do love that especially since my bank is slow as molasses with ach. Like 2-4 business days, never weekends, slow.

I'll definitely wait and see what @Remedios has so say to a few of those questions about WF, auto cli etc. WF does have one cool hidden perk, you can see your whole EX report, so it's kinda like a free low tier myfico sub included.

There's also that Citi is mc, while the cobrand and Amazon chase are both Visa. So if I do wf or evergreen I'm all visa with no mc. Maybe doesnt matter. My debit is mc.

Youre both very high on evergreen, and I'd indeed just go with you and jump on it if the next card in the lineup weren't also fnbo.

Let's workshop evergreen then. If card 2 is evergreen that means card 3 can't be fnbo cobrand, that'll have to be later. It also can't be chase Amazon because chase, waiting for thicker file and more age, and they're the last one you want to spree on.

So then what should card 3 be (#2 of the spree).  Kinda leaves amex just to have an Amex (and their plan it low interest installments for big purchases, which I'd use. Citi has it too, but only if you get a good apr is it useful). Or Citi cc (which doesnt make sense to just be back to Citi anyway, though they seem to be trying to solicit me for that one).  PayPal Credit? Weird one, but permanent 6 months no interest is the best balance carry card around..... For anything not bought at Amazon anyway. 

I'd essentially need to get something other than either store cobrand I'm looking at....

Though you guys do make that sound worth it. If I did go that way, any of the above done like good or bad bets?  I'd then do the cobrands (Chase Amazon/fnbo cobrand) in 6-12 mo?  Chase first maybe because then I'd be at 3/24.

I think the only advice I can offer you is don't apply for any cards, you aren't ready.

Cards you are considering don't have complex rewards structures, they are almost identical, you only have one card so it's not like you're looking to avoid duplicate benefits and yet here we are, no closer... probably a bit further than you were when you first started.

Focus is jumping from one thing to another, if limit is addressed, approval becomes issue. If approval/denial is addressed, HPs become an issue.

Right when that appears to be going somewhere, lender itself becomes an issue.

And then, CLI method before even being approved becomes a criteria. 

It just appears that whatever you're being offered in terms of advice is met with counterpoint and additional questions. 

I just don't think you quite know what you want and where you want to look for it. Thread is starting to resemble to those instances where it appears we're trying to convince you to apply instead of purely offering info on cards.  

Another thing, no matter what you decide, you will think it was a bad decision. If SL is low "should have gone with..." will happen. If denied, same. If you have a single bad experience after approval, same.

So maybe give yourself more time, more we throw at you, less likely you're to decide and/or be content with your decision regardless of outcome. 

There is nothing wrong with being thoughtful, but indecisiveness can also be mistaken for thoughtfulness. Indecisiveness is the sign of doubting one will reach the right decision, so maybe postpone decision making. If/when second card becomes an absolute necessity for you, the decision will come easy.  

I'm sure there will be others with different perspective, maybe they will offer something that hasn't been covered in the last 70+ posts. 

I do hope to see an approval thread from you some day. 

Ditto. 

I certainly understand trying to weigh out all your options before an application to ensure the best possible outcome. And I definitely understand what it's like getting into the credit world later in life than your average person. There is a feeling of needing to catch up and make up for lost time. But at the end of the day, what is this all for? So you can qualify for bigger purchases and loans later on down the line. But guess what? You don't need 20 years of credit history for that. And while you may not qualify for a lot at first, it doesn't take as much time as you think to get there. But you do need to make some moves. And if you have to deal with some small limits at first and let things age and grow, so be it. We all have to go through the paces.

A denial won't set you back. And neither will a wasted HP or two. But you've also done your homework and have more knowledge than the average person out there. Sure, risk is scary, but there are no rewards if you don't try either. 

Just pick something and go for it!

Message 76 of 143
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought Wow, I didn't think any would have been familiar with WS, so big props for that! But yeah, I have my hands full with just building my profile before I'd come close to touching biz profiles.

@Remedios Hah, sorry.  I'll try to be short, but also descriptive and to the point:
As for what I'm looking for, I do know what I want, really. Ultimately some of that was shot down in this conversation (the lifetime card) idea, and that's ok.  It's forced me to rethink.  But right now, for this next app, I want a 2% card.  Any 2% card from a good lender that I hopefully CAN keep a long time.  And of the available ones I want whatever one has the highest chance of approval, and the best chance of growth over time (SL isn't important unless it won't grow, or unless it's a silly $500 SL or something, that could be problematic.  I'm really fine with a 5-8k max limit if thats what it comes down to.  More is better, but I'm happy enough there. )

That's where I really was hoping to clarify your opinion on WF AC vs Citi DC in terms of approval odds, growth potential, and if that's auto/hard/sp, etc.  (Namely you said you did see good growth with Citi and I wondered if that was auto, and what kind of "usable limit" you were referring to when comparing them.

You and KLEXH25 both seem to strongly prefer the FNBO Evergreen to either, and I'm putting a lot of stock into both your recommendations.  But the reason that one is confusing is because the second card from that list I was going to app for next was also FNBO, so if I app for Evergreen, the other FNBO (the cobrand) will have to be put off for a long while (which is fine), but then I'd need to figure out what I would app for instead in the mean-time. 

The summary here is: I want this set of cards:
(Disco already have)
Any 2% card in line with the above.
FNBO Cobrand
Chase Amazon
??? Something else
??? Maybe something else if I want 6.  Definitely don't want more than 6.  5 is proably the real number.

We already covered that Chase ought not to be now.  But it proably shouldn't be the last one due to 5/24 etc.

So right now I will app for the 2%.  The question is is it either WF or DC (where you can help with which I should pick) or is it Evergreen.  If it's evergreen that means the next app can't be FNBO cobrand, and ought not to be chase, so I'll have to fill in one of the the ??? unknowns, then have to do chase, then the other FNBO last.  That's why Evergreen is a bit problematic for my plan, it forces a change to the next app. But I'm not foregoing that option since two of you now feel it's the best choice. Really just need guidance on which 2% to app for given all that, and the strategy there.  The other conversation with KLEXH25 is a bit secondary and a step or two ahead. 

After those two the only question next will be how long to garden with those two (if I get them) before apping chase amazon, and also what to do if one is denied.

@KLEXH25Thanks, I really do agree really, and I still think of denials and hps add major setbacks, maybe that's the problem.  It's that first step that's the most complex, really!
Message 77 of 143
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@uncredited wrote:
So right now I will app for the 2%.  The question is is it either WF or DC (where you can help with which I should pick) or is it Evergreen.  If it's evergreen that means the next app can't be FNBO cobrand, and ought not to be chase, so I'll have to fill in one of the the ??? unknowns, then have to do chase, then the other FNBO last.  That's why Evergreen is a bit problematic for my plan, it forces a change to the next app. But I'm not foregoing that option since two of you now feel it's the best choice. Really just need guidance on which 2% to app for given all that, and the strategy there.  The other conversation with KLEXH25 is a bit secondary and a step or two ahead. 

Write "Citi", "Wells Fargo", and "FNBO" on three slips of paper.

Put them all in a bag.

Close your eyes.

Pick one.

Do not under any circumstances repeat. No just testings, no do overs, no retries, no this doesn't count because X. One draw.

Message 78 of 143
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I tried reading through whole thread I really did lol but not enough coffee yet. 🙃 

I'm just hoping to say Penfed PCR is an awesome 2% card. Penfed is much more generous this past year than years past and can grow nicely. Rewards post fast and were it not for me using it for a bt, it would be my dailySmiley Wink

Message 79 of 143
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Are you still discussing this?  To think, when I was old enough to get my own credit cards, I applied for whichever was prettiest Smiley Very Happy

If you're worried about getting a low starting limit with Citi, I believe you can get soft pull CLIs every 6 months or a year (I can't remember who has what schedule). 

But what's are the consequences if you apply for a card then turns out you don't like it?  Not much -- get a replacement and close the first one, if you like.  This isn't marriage; you don't have to find The One.  And even then, have you seen the divorce rate? 

Message 80 of 143
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.