cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations on which cards to use for monthly expenses?

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Recommendations on which cards to use for monthly expenses?

Message 21 of 27
rex_03
Contributor

Good on ya OP. you have a great collection there.. Yes, the CSP can be for dining anywhere, and it's 2X points. I use it all the time.. Stay in the garden,and I do support ya, as I know that new card temptation, believe me.. It's good though to look for cards down the road though as a goal.
Message 22 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

@PleasantlySurprised wrote:

@ rex_03 & longtimelurker:

Thanks for the suggestions!!  I will keep those in mind for the future.  Unfortunately I'm in the garden right now...for a long, long time (see, MJ? Still in the garden despite the temptation!  Smiley Happy).  Most of my cards have been opened in just over the last 2 months, so I need to cool it for now.  The AmEx is definitely on my list for next year and possibly PenFed too, now that you mention it.  

Lol

Ok you got me 

I was watching tho Smiley Tongue

Amex Amex AmexSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 23 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
That's what we are here for!

+1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 27
pkosheta
Contributor

Depending on your 'other' catergories, consider U.S. Bank Cash+.

it has a 5/2/1 structure, but has a $25 bonus when you cash in at least 100 dollars in rewards (only once a year though)

effectively 1.25% 'other', 2.5% Gas or Groceries or Pharmacy (looks like gas should be your choice here), and 6.25% 2 selected catergories from a long list.

If you find that the spend a few hundred a month in the 5% catergories that they have it could be a cash cow.  Electronic Stores and Dept. Stores are my go to catergories most quarters.  though furniture stores, hotels, restaurants, or fast food could also a winner for you.  

You do have to apply in branch now, so if you do not have a us bank nearby it could be a problem.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 25 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pkosheta wrote:

Depending on your 'other' catergories, consider U.S. Bank Cash+.

it has a 5/2/1 structure, but has a $25 bonus when you cash in at least 100 dollars in rewards (only once a year though)

effectively 1.25% 'other', 2.5% Gas or Groceries or Pharmacy (looks like gas should be your choice here), and 6.25% 2 selected catergories from a long list.

If you find that the spend a few hundred a month in the 5% catergories that they have it could be a cash cow.  Electronic Stores and Dept. Stores are my go to catergories most quarters.  though furniture stores, hotels, restaurants, or fast food could also a winner for you.  

You do have to apply in branch now, so if you do not have a us bank nearby it could be a problem.

The effective 1.25 etc, was only true when the $25 bonus was unlimited.   Now the effective rate is "between 1 and 1.25%", "between 2 and 2.5%" etc, the more you spend, the lower the figure.

Message 26 of 27
wche
Regular Contributor

I recommend Sallie Mae world MC

5 percent gas up to 250
5 percent groceries up to 250
5 percent bookstores up to 750
1 percent everything else
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.