Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon Advice?

tag
Buckeye07
Established Member

Recon Advice?

Im calling tomorrow to recon for Barclaycard.  I have one CO from 2010...how should I go about explaining it?  The real reason it didnt get paid on time was because I was 20 years old and stupid.  Should I just be honest?  Any other recon advice would be great too!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Recon Advice?

@Buckeye07 wrote:

Im calling tomorrow to recon for Barclaycard.  I have one CO from 2010...how should I go about explaining it?  The real reason it didnt get paid on time was because I was 20 years old and stupid.  Should I just be honest?  Any other recon advice would be great too!

Was that the reason for denial?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Buckeye07
Established Member

Im not sure...I apped yesterday and got the 7-10 day message.  Went to the online app status check site and said I was denied.  Although I called CSR after I got the 7-10 day message to check status and she said "the system has not received/updated with the app yet".  When I talk to customer service I often take what they have to say with a grain of salt.  Waiting for recon dept to open back up tomorrow morning...

I already have the rewards card with them that I opened in december.  All payments have been made on time.  My credit report is virtually the same as when I applied in december except with 7 more months of on time CC and car loan payments.  Except probably 2 or so more INQ

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Buckeye07 wrote:

Im not sure...I apped yesterday and got the 7-10 day message.  Went to the online app status check site and said I was denied.  Although I called CSR after I got the 7-10 day message to check status and she said "the system has not received/updated with the app yet".  When I talk to customer service I often take what they have to say with a grain of salt.  Waiting for recon dept to open back up tomorrow morning...

I already have the rewards card with them that I opened in december.  All payments have been made on time.  My credit report is virtually the same as when I applied in december except with 7 more months of on time CC and car loan payments.  Except probably 2 or so more INQ

Thats probably your reason (new accounts)

Good luck fingers crossed

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 10
Buckeye07
Established Member

If that is the case, or if its brought up, how should I address it?

Message 5 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Buckeye07 wrote:

If that is the case, or if its brought up, how should I address it?

How many total INQ's and what was reason? 

I assume these were all after there approval right?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 10
Buckeye07
Established Member

15 total INQ, 7 this year, (2 were from aparment complexes as we are looking to move next month, 1 from Barclays in April from a CLI request, and the other 3 from CC companies)...by the way I just refreshed my TU report (which is what they pulled) and the collection account has been deleted per a dispute! About 24 hours late but nonetheless its gone now.  Should I offer for them to refresh my report?

Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Buckeye07 wrote:

15 total INQ, 7 this year, (2 were from aparment complexes as we are looking to move next month, 1 from Barclays in April from a CLI request, and the other 3 from CC companies)...by the way I just refreshed my TU report (which is what they pulled) and the collection account has been deleted per a dispute! About 24 hours late but nonetheless its gone now.  Should I offer for them to refresh my report?

Explain it just like you did here apartments etc etc

Not sure if I would mention CLI's as it says seeking new limits unless asked.

Your choice if you allow another HP

Let them ask the questions and answer honestly don't offer info not asked 

Explain why you want the card also if asked

Good luck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Be prepared for a Credit Lecture™ as those analysts can go on forever about why you don't deserve to get the card. I bet those 3 HP from other cards might be spooking them. Whatever you do be honest and polite. They don't seem to react well to our typical got the new cards for specific reasons bla bla bla and would like this card because of the stellar features bla bla bla. They are a solid hardcore unit that don't crack well or so it's been my experience. 

Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Be prepared for a Credit Lecture™ as those analysts can go on forever about why you don't deserve to get the card. I bet those 3 HP from other cards might be spooking them. Whatever you do be honest and polite. They don't seem to react well to our typical got the new cards for specific reasons bla bla bla and would like this card because of the stellar features bla bla bla. They are a solid hardcore unit that don't crack well or so it's been my experience. 

Good luck!

+1 be very prepared to explain everything on your file. Good luck!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.