Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon smooth talk

tag
thecheese
Established Member

Recon smooth talk

So recently I've been getting my house in order. I've paid down the balances of my 3 cards (and plan to further pay down the Sears Card to < 10%):

Amazon Visa - $3,200.00 ($8 balance)

Wells Fargo - $4,100.00 ($0 balance)

Sears Card (Citi) - $4,800.00 ($900 balance)

I opened these when I was younger for various reasons that were, unfortunately, not for the purpose of the best savings/rewards and I'd like to go for some various rewards cards to start saving more and expand my credit. I have 100% on-time payments and 1 paid collection of < $200 from several years ago and am now making 6 figures for income, as opposed to several years ago when I first opened those cards. All this is in prep for my first app spree. I'm prepared to get denied here and there, but my only real question is: what exactly do you say when calling the recon lines? Is it as simple as saying "I'd like to be reconsidered for such and such card" and answering a few questions? Do I have to give a big song and dance about how they're everything I want in a card and kiss some butt? Sorry for the n00b questions. I've done a lot of reading but when it comes to people who got denied, most things I've read are from experienced people who just say "I just called recon and got approved!" like dialing the number itself is magic.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Recon smooth talk

It somewhat depends on what the reason for the denial was.  Sometimes, it can be a fairly simple matter of clearing something up.  I was denied recently for a US Bank card.  When I called, the reason given was that I had several delinquent accounts.  I told the analyst that I have no delinquent accounts, and he said that I was right.  He resubmittted the app, and I was approved.  

I've been denied for too many credit inquiries when I had a lot of inquiries because of mortgage shopping.  That was fairly simple to explain as well.

Sometimes your denial can be because the lender has already extended you as much credit as they are willing to extend.  In that circumstance, you can sometimes offer to reallocate credit from an existing line and/or close a card in order to get approved.

If you're denied because of negatives, e.g., collections, late payments, usually a short and sweet explanation is best.  Ideally you can say it happened a long time ago and you have had no issues since.  Or if you have a minor recent late, you could tell them you forgot and then emphasize a positive, like that you have since signed your accounts up for autopay so that it won't happen again.  

So it can vary based on the reason for the denial. But in the end, you either want to correct an inaccuracy, or let them know why whatever happened in the past is not going to be an issue in the future.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@thecheese wrote:

So recently I've been getting my house in order. I've paid down the balances of my 3 cards (and plan to further pay down the Sears Card to < 10%):

I opened these when I was younger for various reasons that were, unfortunately, not for the purpose of the best savings/rewards and I'd like to go for some various rewards cards to start saving more and expand my credit. I have 100% on-time payments and 1 paid collection of < $200 from several years ago and am now making 6 figures for income, as opposed to several years ago when I first opened those cards. All this is in prep for my first app spree. I'm prepared to get denied here and there, but my only real question is: what exactly do you say when calling the recon lines? Is it as simple as saying "I'd like to be reconsidered for such and such card" and answering a few questions? Do I have to give a big song and dance about how they're everything I want in a card and kiss some butt? Sorry for the n00b questions. I've done a lot of reading but when it comes to people who got denied, most things I've read are from experienced people who just say "I just called recon and got approved!" like dialing the number itself is magic.

To use Magic, all you have to do is...  Believe in Magic...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 5
GFer
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@thecheese wrote:

lol....I like it!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@GFer wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@thecheese wrote:

lol....I like it!

Its Disney, of course.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.