cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconsideration Success! Two times and counting!

tag
jpparker07
New Contributor

Reconsideration Success! Two times and counting!

I have been working on building my credit for some time now since messing it up when I was 18 (back before banks got burned and gave 8000 dollars worth of credit to college students). I have had 2 crappy capital ones that I am stuck with to maintain credit history but I finally got my score high enough to get  AMEX Zync and Green charge cards. I have been monitoring my credit through multiple platforms and my FICOs which I can see (TU and EQ) are both 660. Not great, but not the best for great cards.

Anywho I decided to apply for a Discover More. I have racked up tons of points on my AMEX's but I do want cash back. Long story short I applied and got the classic "Further Review" decision. I have seen this many a time, but I have read on the boards to call. I didn't wait to get declined. Instead I called the number on the further review page and spoke with a nice lady. I informed her that I knew about my credit not being great and I went through each thing that was negative. IT HELPS TO KNOW YOUR REPORT LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND. KNOW WHAT IS ON THERE AT ALL TIMES. I explained the medical charge offs from 2007 (2 paid 1 unpaid) and explained how I had worked on my credit for years. She understood,verified my employment, address, and income and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. She comes back explains I'm approved with a 3.25% and a 1000 cl. Hooray!! No HSBC crap a true Discover More card.

Three days later I apply for the Chase Freedom card. Same "Further review message". I call 1 888 270 2127. Now this time is different because I had credit consulting program help take care of my old chase amazon card from 2007. The woman informed me that I was declined due to the collections and charged off credit cards. I asked her to look at the dates and see the charge off was from 2007 and paid. She agreed. She verified a lot more info than the Discover lady and asked more questions about inquiries and things like that. I was able to explain all of them and explained my credit history and repair. She put me on hold for 4 minutes. Came back and I was approved! Smaller limit that discover but 0% for 15 months!! Yayy!! Any questions about the process just ask!

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Reconsideration Success! Two times and counting!

Congrats!!! I love speaking to actual people! They can help you :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

That's pretty awesome!!! Congrats and yeah I was once a dumb college student with WAYYYY to much credit and of course the inevitable happened haha. Its amazing what you can learn here and how you can use it to your advantage.

Message 3 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jpparker07 wrote:

I have been working on building my credit for some time now since messing it up when I was 18 (back before banks got burned and gave 8000 dollars worth of credit to college students). I have had 2 crappy capital ones that I am stuck with to maintain credit history but I finally got my score high enough to get  AMEX Zync and Green charge cards. I have been monitoring my credit through multiple platforms and my FICOs which I can see (TU and EQ) are both 660. Not great, but not the best for great cards.

Anywho I decided to apply for a Discover More. I have racked up tons of points on my AMEX's but I do want cash back. Long story short I applied and got the classic "Further Review" decision. I have seen this many a time, but I have read on the boards to call. I didn't wait to get declined. Instead I called the number on the further review page and spoke with a nice lady. I informed her that I knew about my credit not being great and I went through each thing that was negative. IT HELPS TO KNOW YOUR REPORT LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND. KNOW WHAT IS ON THERE AT ALL TIMES. I explained the medical charge offs from 2007 (2 paid 1 unpaid) and explained how I had worked on my credit for years. She understood,verified my employment, address, and income and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. She comes back explains I'm approved with a 3.25% and a 1000 cl. Hooray!! No HSBC crap a true Discover More card.

Three days later I apply for the Chase Freedom card. Same "Further review message". I call 1 888 270 2127. Now this time is different because I had credit consulting program help take care of my old chase amazon card from 2007. The woman informed me that I was declined due to the collections and charged off credit cards. I asked her to look at the dates and see the charge off was from 2007 and paid. She agreed. She verified a lot more info than the Discover lady and asked more questions about inquiries and things like that. I was able to explain all of them and explained my credit history and repair. She put me on hold for 4 minutes. Came back and I was approved! Smaller limit that discover but 0% for 15 months!! Yayy!! Any questions about the process just ask!

Congrats on your success with Discover... I love it when you are able to connect with a CSR and they can understand what you are telling them...  I'm sure you will love being in the Discover and Chase family!

Congrats!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That's great, Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 8
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

welcome to the forum! Awesome news!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 7 of 8
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Nice

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.