Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Roof Visa cards are no more, effective 3/1/17

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Red Roof Visa cards are no more, effective 3/1/17

Since it's all speculation as to why the card is going away, I will add my two cents. Maybe since Red Roof Inn is partly owned by Citigroup, they are going to introduce a Citi backed card? Or maybe not, who knows.
Message 11 of 15
fedxboy
Established Contributor

Redicard+ or Red Roof Visa Comenity discontinued

According to Doctor of Credit

Posted by William Charles on December 12, 2016

Red Roof Inn Visa Card Being Discontinued

Well, that didn’t last long. The Red Roof Inn Visa card that was launched earlier this year is being discontinued. Existing cardholders can continue to use their card until February 28th, 2017. Points will remain in your account until they are used. It’s also no longer possible to apply for the card.

Most people were only interested in this card due to the fact it’s issued by Comenity Bank and the shopping cart trick could be used.

red-roof-inn

Oh well, looks like I'll be losing another Comenity Sig Visa $6500 cl.  Picked this card up Jan 2016Smiley Sad

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Redicard+ or Red Roof Visa Comenity discontinued

Just found this out yesterday.    I got the RR Visa last Summer using the SCT, and was approved for $1,250.   Used it a few times and managed to score a handful of free nights.

Am bugged that I'll be losing some available credit (though not a lot - a whopping $3,000), but am concerned how this will be reported to the bureaus after February 28th.   Wouldn't it appear as "Account closed by grantor", which by technicality would come across as a black mark?   

I'm surprised Red Roof hasn't passed this along to another bank if Comenity wanted to get out of it.   Or for Comenity to keep us on the reservation by moving our account to another Visa, even if it's just generic.   Anyway, I've never had an account just shut down like this ... how will this play out on our credit reports?   It's bad enough losing the utilization and total available, but should I maybe go ahead and cancel the card right away so it will instead read "closed at consumer's request"?   

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just found this out yesterday.    I got the RR Visa last Summer using the SCT, and was approved for $1,250.   Used it a few times and managed to score a handful of free nights.

Am bugged that I'll be losing some available credit (though not a lot - a whopping $3,000), but am concerned how this will be reported to the bureaus after February 28th.   Wouldn't it appear as "Account closed by grantor", which by technicality would come across as a black mark?   

I'm surprised Red Roof hasn't passed this along to another bank if Comenity wanted to get out of it.   Or for Comenity to keep us on the reservation by moving our account to another Visa, even if it's just generic.   Anyway, I've never had an account just shut down like this ... how will this play out on our credit reports?   It's bad enough losing the utilization and total available, but should I maybe go ahead and cancel the card right away so it will instead read "closed at consumer's request"?   

You really don't have anything to worry about as far as how it appears on your credit report (closed by grantor or closed by consumer) but it you are worried you could just close it yourself before the 2/28 shutdown. It is not scored any differently as far as your FICO if the account is closed by the grantor or by you.

Message 14 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I dunno about Citi wanting anything to do with the account or where that rumor started but i can fully understand why Comenity either made the decision or vice versa just by doing a little research on RRInn and that's where i want to leave it.

Sorry OP but those card agreement decisions with various certain retailers happen for a reason just like Vitacost MC ended soon after i was approved for that one.

You just have to go with flow and move on.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.