Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing credit cards, a new adventure

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Reducing credit cards, a new adventure

Only 24 AJC? lol
I've seriously stopped counting. I went through the phase of closing accounts over a year ago.
This is my take, and I completely understand why you are doing it.
I have a couple, I consider useless.
Including the Penfed Power cash rewards, Chase Freedom, Navy Fed Cash rewards. Not closing them though.
I've been denied many times for CLIs and new CCs at one time or another. Amex denied me recently twice in 30 days! I still got what I wanted on the third try. lol

I guess my skin has grown thicker over that time. I've learned persistence will eventually break through most of those lenders. The ones that don't, no real loss.
I keep the majors around even if I don't use them as often as I once did. Why?
Because they normally offer me candy after I let them sit. 0% offers along with REAL soft pull personal loans ready for use if I need it.
Navy is another one I'd close if it weren't for the candy they offer. I haven't used their CC to purchase anything in a year. I do use it for 0% BT offers they give me. They've pissed me off more than once with denial letters that didn't make any sense.
I'm still going to use them for all they're worth! Lol
Because I look at them all as tools.
I don't use certain tools in my tool bag often around the house. It's much less hassle to be able to grab one when I do need it. Than going and hunting another at the local Lowes or auto parts store.
It's much easier to have and not need, than need and not have.
Enjoy the ride my friend. It after all is the best part!😀
Message 91 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
 ABCD, if you think i had it bad, Dad had at&t and couldnt get on to pay his bills properly for well over a month. Im pleased that i was able to get as far as i did credit wise and i owe alot to this board for helping me push for more than i ever would have pushed for living in the outside world.

Yep, I can't imagine at all!

I'm switching my lifestyle slowly from being on the water just 50-60 days a year to maybe full-time, so I am now starting to step into the "find the absolute greatest checking account ever" mode.  Instead of doing autopays for the minimum, I want to be able to do autopays for the full balance each month, but I also demand that I get a great APR on interest on that checking account.  Right now I keep 120% of my current credit card balances in my "payment" checking account that earns a whopping 0.001% or some such thing.  If I can get 1.2% APR in checking I'd just move my savings account balance into checking and aim for 6 months of spend and set up autopay for the full balance in case I'm ever trapped again.

That situation was a lesson for me -- the FICO drop wasn't all that horrible mostly because I was still in the 650s so I was below any good approval number, but while rebuilding it was annoying.  I wish credit cards offered a "pay before statement cut" autopay method!

Message 92 of 172
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Interesting read, and good for you, AJC.

I'm at the combine/compress stage in the game...open one "good" CC, close three or four lesser ones.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 93 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks everybody for your inputs. Though this is a personal journey its a great pleasure to have so many of my fico fam along for the ride.

One curious thing ill add and im sure many have different feelings is about reapping what you decided to close. In example Discover. They are like should you ever decide to reapply and so on. I understand you might get another year of rewards etc maybe even a better sl, but i just dont see myself apping for another Disco in the future. If my first experience wasnt enough to entice me to keep it long enough why would i ever feel the need to reapply for same card. Just a thought i guessSmiley Wink
Message 94 of 172
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

One curious thing ill add and im sure many have different feelings is about reapping what you decided to close. In example Discover. They are like should you ever decide to reapply and so on. I understand you might get another year of rewards etc maybe even a better sl, but i just dont see myself apping for another Disco in the future. If my first experience wasnt enough to entice me to keep it long enough why would i ever feel the need to reapply for same card. Just a thought i guessSmiley Wink

While you certainly are not "wrong", I can see the other side of this conversation as well. 

Thus far in my journey, I've applied for two capital one products.  As capital one continues to buy out other banks, I am now up to SEVEN capital one cards... all of which are....um...not the best card that they offer.

All seven are on the chopping block for next year, and I WILL have no relationship with Capital One.

I can see me applying for a Venture or some such nonsense in the future tho.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 95 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah if I close my Discover I wouldn't put them on blacklist.  Their 3% first year Miles card is cashback and that's competitive since no AF.  Plus you can get the free Kohl's cash deal regularly in Discover Deals, and you can also do the $2 statement trick to get $24 a year back.  So it's a negative annual fee, lol.  All said and done, they do have some good products for those who like to churn in order to get back every dollar possible.

Message 96 of 172
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup, I was just thinking of SD'ing one of my Discover cards for a while. The Amex Delta Gold will go in its spot.
The Discover is handy for shopping at Sam's club.
Message 97 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good responses guys, thanks. Perhaps someday in the future i maybe ready for another ride. Could be my first time was "AWKWARD" and its get better with time lolSmiley Wink
Message 98 of 172
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I know of quite a few creditors that you can get locked into the naughty pile.. and the only exit is closing and re-apping ..They put you in a box that you cant get out of... Cap One is a great example... folks get stuck on their cards all the time... it might look and feel like a Quicksilver, but behaves like a starter Platinum.... or its a card they bought out.. that card is usually on a road to nowhere. And sometimes the only way out of toy limit or APR hell is reapplying..  

Get some years under your belt, distance yourself a bit further from the BK... and do some trimming... know your slighted a bit but wait and see.. Really think as you slowly peel off sync/commenty cards you might see your other cards take notice in a good way...

-J

Message 99 of 172
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

All seven are on the chopping block for next year, and I WILL have no relationship with Capital One.

I can see me applying for a Venture or some such nonsense in the future tho.

Cap1 and been good to me, but I totally understand where you're coming from.  If my limits weren't already so high with them, I would combine a couple cards and app for a new Venture right now...  $500 bonus on $3,000 spend.  If you redeem it to gift cards, you get the full $500, and their gift card selection is perfect for my shopping habits currently.

But, I'll probably end up closing my Cabela's and PSV from them this coming year.  Basically useless cards that don't really grow, and I'm about 10 years past where I'm excited about cashing in points for credit on the Playstation Network.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 100 of 172
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.