Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing credit is fun

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reducing credit is fun

Closing cards and reducing credit can both be fun. I mentioned at end of year that my goal was to reduce total credit lines down from 234k (too much overall credit) down to around 170-180k. Income is north of 150k and although I'm not a BoA fan, they mentioned having too much credit when i was just showing 205k (other tradelines were not showing yet). So I would not do it for them, but I'll do it for several reasons: 

1) Streamlining makes sense

2) Wanting to present the best possible picture for future applications (in garden for at least a year)

3) Acquiring cards with greater benefits and eliminating those with minimal benefit

4) Having a manageable amount of credit

5) Assessing what I need versus what I can acquire (i.e, just because someone will give me credit does not mean it is the wisest decision for me to amass as much as I can)

6) Continually assessing needs and profile and modifying profile appropriately

7) Interest in creating a bit of "wiggle room" for future CLI's that I would like to request

Closed two Comenity Visas (5k each CL) in the fall and it felt great. Recently closed J Crew ($17,500 credit limit) and Bloomingdale's ($14,500 credit limit). I didn't have many store cards anyway, but can definitely get far better benefits from my other cash back, rewards, and miles cards. Plus, I added two Amex cards in November and Chase Hyatt in December. Those were cards that I really wanted and have been using quite a bit, and I did not feel comfortable adding more without reducing the herd.

Which cards will you close this year? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Reducing credit is fun

Macy's ($10K) and Hilton, though I want to roll the Hilton limit onto Delta
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

Sounds like a good plan, icyhot, and I definitely applaud divesting yourself of a DSNB card Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Sounds like a good plan, icyhot, and I definitely applaud divesting yourself of a DSNB card Smiley Happy

Kudos!!  bye bye DSNB!

Message 4 of 52
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

I wonder what opinions are for  ideal or healthy ratios of revolving credit limits to income is?  Is using a ratio for this even close to a good way to look at it?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 5 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BallBounces wrote:

I wonder what opinions are for  ideal or healthy ratios of revolving credit limits to income is?  Is using a ratio for this even close to a good way to look at it?

Every lender will look at this differently. Members on the board have seen lenders not blink an eyelash when they have 300k-400k of credit and will approve them for additional credit; others have noticed "too much credit" being mentioned as a factor for certain banks (BoA in my case, may vary between individuals), or for CLI's with several different lenders. Certain credit unions may also be sensitive to having too much credit. Everyone's profile is different so the tolerance for different and high levels of credit is as variable as the wide variety of lenders.

Plus, individual experience with the same lender may vary. While BoA mentioned "too much credit", a friend of mine on the board has four times the amount of credit that I have and is being approved for new BoA cards. And I think that's wonderful and suits that person's individual needs, which is most important.

We all are different, and what may be right for me may not be right for someone else. But it does illustrate that with the same lender, BoA can give two very different answers of what is "too much credit" , even though we both have high incomes. AAoA, total profile, credit score, income, bucketing, relationship with that lender, and many other items factor in.

Message 6 of 52
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Wait, what's wrong with DSNB? I know the reporting thing is weird but did I miss something
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 7 of 52
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Yes GAWD !!!!!! Congrats on triming that fat. I will be closing :

1)Kohl's - $3k 

2) Capital One PlayStation - $5,500

3 ) Express - $3,000

4) Walamrt - $10,000

5) Amazon - $10,000

6) Kay's - $12,000

im currently at $183k in limits @ 2% Utl across 2 cards with $70k income.

making room for CSP & Hyatt April 2017

Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Yes GAWD !!!!!! Congrats on triming that fat. I will be closing :

1)Kohl's - $3k 

2) Capital One PlayStation - $5,500

3 ) Express - $3,000

4) Walamrt - $10,000

5) Amazon - $10,000

6) Kay's - $12,000

@Anonymous currently at $183k in limits @ 2% Utl across 2 cards with $70k income.

making room for CSP & Hyatt April 2017

Sounds great, scoreorbescored! I was thinking of you and your interest in reducing and glad you posted, too. Those all sound like excellent choices, good candidates for reduction, and I like your comment about " making room." Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

1) Will close Arrival + as I don't get enough benefit for the AF

2) ebates Visa might get closed by issuer as I don't use it

CSP might get closed if I decide to get Premier

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.