Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regions Bank Now Has Pre-Qual for Non-Customers

tag
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

Re: Regions Bank Now Has Pre-Qual for Non-Customers

@nastalgia wrote:  So my regions card never came in the mail, after waiting several weeks I decided to call their customer line which then transfered me to the credit approval line and they looked and looked and didn't see an application from me. Come to find out they don't issue credit cards to non US citizens, a non US citizen has to be a diplomat or a family member of a diplomat. I am a lawful permanent US resident of 19 yrs and that's messed up I can't get a credit card from Regions smh. I think I may have checked "yes" to the citizen question and my drivers license proved otherwise thats my it didn't process after the approval online

Sorry about that.  Smiley Sad  I don't know if you know more of the story but I'll tell you what I think is going on. 

Shortly fter the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the US Congress passed the USA Patriot Act in the fall of 2001 which included many different changes to US law to counteract activities supporting terrorism.  One substantial area they targeted was the financial markets.  Basically, the intent was to limit the ability of international funding of terrorism within our borders through US banks.  Title III included provisions of anti-money laundering changes and there were burdens placed on US banks to verify identity and citizenship so that suspicious activity could be more easily traced.  Also, record-keeping and reporting requirements were affected.  That costs banks money from their bottom line.  

Of course, that's not saying all non-citizens are bad; but in context of the potential threats, they can be much more suspicious than long-time and natural-born US citizens.   So much of the additional reporting is likely required on non-citizen applicants, not only when they are approved but for reporting unusual activities to law enforcement.  And non-citizens aren't the only ones who are impacted by the changes.  The USA Patriot Act is why even naturally-born US citizens like myself have faced much more scrutiny when I have applied for credit in the past 20 years, but I understand it is for the overall good.

Regions bank isn't tiny but it's ranked #23 in US banks in terms of assets invested.   Apparently, some smaller banks such as Regions may have elected to not even offer some banking products to non-citizen clients, probably due to the liability of potential violations of that law as well as the financial burden of additional reporting that they are required to do.  It's unfortunate that peaceful, law-abiding non-citizens can get penalized for that law which has the best of intentions for keeping terrorism out of the United States. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 51 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

doesn’t help people in the Northeast like New York 😒
Message 52 of 54
nastalgia
Valued Member

@Aim_High wrote:

@nastalgia wrote:  So my regions card never came in the mail, after waiting several weeks I decided to call their customer line which then transfered me to the credit approval line and they looked and looked and didn't see an application from me. Come to find out they don't issue credit cards to non US citizens, a non US citizen has to be a diplomat or a family member of a diplomat. I am a lawful permanent US resident of 19 yrs and that's messed up I can't get a credit card from Regions smh. I think I may have checked "yes" to the citizen question and my drivers license proved otherwise thats my it didn't process after the approval online

Sorry about that.  Smiley Sad  I don't know if you know more of the story but I'll tell you what I think is going on. 

Shortly fter the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the US Congress passed the USA Patriot Act in the fall of 2001 which included many different changes to US law to counteract activities supporting terrorism.  One substantial area they targeted was the financial markets.  Basically, the intent was to limit the ability of international funding of terrorism within our borders through US banks.  Title III included provisions of anti-money laundering changes and there were burdens placed on US banks to verify identity and citizenship so that suspicious activity could be more easily traced.  Also, record-keeping and reporting requirements were affected.  That costs banks money from their bottom line.  

Of course, that's not saying all non-citizens are bad; but in context of the potential threats, they can be much more suspicious than long-time and natural-born US citizens.   So much of the additional reporting is likely required on non-citizen applicants, not only when they are approved but for reporting unusual activities to law enforcement.  And non-citizens aren't the only ones who are impacted by the changes.  The USA Patriot Act is why even naturally-born US citizens like myself have faced much more scrutiny when I have applied for credit in the past 20 years, but I understand it is for the overall good.

Regions bank isn't tiny but it's ranked #23 in US banks in terms of assets invested.   Apparently, some smaller banks such as Regions may have elected to not even offer some banking products to non-citizen clients, probably due to the liability of potential violations of that law as well as the financial burden of additional reporting that they are required to do.  It's unfortunate that peaceful, law-abiding non-citizens can get penalized for that law which has the best of intentions for keeping terrorism out of the United States. 

Yeah I am aware of that law but it was the first time a bank has refused me credit based on my citizenship. I have other cards from Amex to US Bank card and didn't ever get turned down for or asked a citizen question.

Message 53 of 54
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

@nastalgia wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@nastalgia wrote:  So my regions card never came in the mail... Come to find out they don't issue credit cards to non US citizens, a non US citizen has to be a diplomat or a family member of a diplomat.

Shortly fter the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the US Congress passed the USA Patriot Act in the fall of 2001 which included many different changes to US law to counteract activities supporting terrorism.  One substantial area they targeted was the financial markets.  Basically, the intent was to limit the ability of international funding of terrorism within our borders through US banks.  Title III included provisions of anti-money laundering changes and there were burdens placed on US banks to verify identity and citizenship so that suspicious activity could be more easily traced.  Also, record-keeping and reporting requirements were affected.  That costs banks money from their bottom line ...

Yeah I am aware of that law but it was the first time a bank has refused me credit based on my citizenship. I have other cards from Amex to US Bank card and didn't ever get turned down for or asked a citizen question.

I know it's disappointing.  However, AMEX and US Bank are both much larger lenders and larger players in the credit card business.  I'd say don't take it personally but maybe just temper expectations in the future when dealing with smaller banks or credit unions after this experience.  I don't think banks advertise these policies so you'd have to just find out when you go through underwriting, but there may be some besides the big players who still accept non-citizen business.  Post again when you find out others that do or don't accept non-citizens so that the community can help others with this same issue.  Best of luck.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.