Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret a hard pull?

tag
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Regret a hard pull?

I regret asking Barclay for a credit limit increase yesterday. I was so sure that it would be a soft pull, but they did a hard pull on TU.

Ugh. Back to a seedling.

I think I also regret applying for the BOFA Better Balance Card.

What about you guys?
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Regret a hard pull?

for some reason I am terrified of hard pulls, I have 1 on TU 2 on exp and 1 on eq within the last year and im scared to app for anything until those fall off. 

but since being on these forums lately I have noticed people with 5-10 HP's and still getting approved for cards, so maybe a HP is not as bad as I think.

Message 2 of 38
skript

I wouldn't be too concerned with just a few hard pulls. I have quite a few that are set to come off next year (6) and I just went 4 of 4 on an app spree for some prime cards.
Going garden mode for a year now.
Message 3 of 38
dpechal
Regular Contributor

PenFed smacked me in the face yesterday with a "No".  Not a "7-10" or even a "Needs more time to review".  I regret that very much.

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 4 of 38
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

for some reason I am terrified of hard pulls, I have 1 on TU 2 on exp and 1 on eq within the last year and im scared to app for anything until those fall off. 

but since being on these forums lately I have noticed people with 5-10 HP's and still getting approved for cards, so maybe a HP is not as bad as I think.

I think most of the posters here have more INQs than that. I for one have 3 on EQ, 10 on EX, and 18 on TU (I know!!). Most people here garden for a year at most so the INQs can stop hurting them, but I've rarely seen anyone waiting for INQs to completely fall off before they app for another shiny new plastic.

@OP

I regret my HP with Barclays for the initial CL recon. For some reason, they wouldn't use the HP from approval. A complete and utter waste of an INQ, but I didn't know any better at that time.

Message 5 of 38
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

ok, like I said, seems like a hp is not as bad as I thought, I am going for my 3x61 amex cli in about a month so I will not be getting any more hps until at least I get the CLI, I dont want amex to decline me and say "to many HP's" lol, I know YMMV but my mileage doesnt work to well.

I think im going for the barclays arrival next or maybe the cap one venture, I love the 2x uncapped on all purchases

Message 6 of 38
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

@ternify: Tell me about it! I got an 880 dollar increase. It fits my income, but I was hoping for more. The card is only 3 months old though.

@skript: Don't be afraid of HP. Just don't waste them. I have 9 on EXP, 6 on TU and 5 on EQ. On 1/1/14, it should look like this: 6 EXP, 6 TU, and 3 EQ. Well that's if I don't apply for any new accounts. Haha Smiley Wink
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 7 of 38
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

I meant to write "@slap_happy"
Message 8 of 38
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Yes I have regrets about all the hard pulls I have done this year. I was back in the garden as of August 1st and plan on staying there for a long time.

I have decided I'm not asking for a CLI due to the hard pulls. If the CC companies want to do soft pull for CLI's, I'm fine with that.

Message 9 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Yes I have regrets about all the hard pulls I have done this year. I was back in the garden as of August 1st and plan on staying there for a long time.

I have decided I'm not asking for a CLI due to the hard pulls. If the CC companies want to do soft pull for CLI's, I'm fine with that.

Right, just depends on your goals.  For those with "enough" CL (and so CLIs are just for "Mine is bigger than yours" type stuff) it makes more sense to use HPs to get cards with sign-up bonuses.   And while soft-CLIs are possible with many lenders, you don't really get new cards via SP, so reserving HP for those is a good strategy.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.