Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret a hard pull?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Regret a hard pull?

My regret is this stupid Firestone Credit card.  It happened before I was paying attention to my credit.  They offered me some discount and for once I said sure.  Got the 1800 credit line and I bitched.  Guy told me that was high for intital limit.  Thats when I realized I had made a mistake.  Fast forward a couple years later, CLIs to 2.4k.  Yeah!! Not..

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 31 of 38
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

My regrets were US Bank and WF. It was an ugly ordeal with WF since i had a secured credit card with them and applied for the unsecured only to denied and then approved under manual review for only 2k (had a 4k secured card for over a year that didnt graduate and a business/personal banking relationship with them).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 32 of 38
enharu
Super Contributor

Can't exactly say its a regret, but I applied for a GAP card about 8 years ago. No idea why really. That was the only time I shopped there in my life and I applied simply because the sales guy recommended it. I didn't know anything about credit back then, and I had my WF for less than 3 months then. Obviously, I was denied due to having no credit history. So I can't really say I regretted it since I had no idea what's going on.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 38
Anf_dude
Contributor

Not Quite For A Credit Card, But For DirecTV.! Especially Since I Already Have Them.
Message 34 of 38
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Haha most of the posters regret applying after they get denied. Now that I think about it...the only GE card I find valuable is the Walmart card. I don't need the financing so I could've done without the Amazon store card and gap store card.

@enharu same here!!! I was offered the gap card by the cashier in August of last year. I ended up talking to the underwriter at the store and getting approved for $400. I didn't even use the card at all. I paid cash for that transaction. I closed my card in June of this year.

My experience with citibank has been poor too. Outright denials, but I didn't know anything about credit before.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 35 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Regret might be too strong a word, but Barclays Rewards.  I applied for it after searching for cards with discounts on utilities, and this was 2% off utilities.  My first surprise was the CL, ~ $4.5K when my next lowest was $15K.  Then, shortly after, I got the Fidelity Amex, 2% on everything, and then the US Bank Cash Plus, which at the time had 5% off bill pay.

After 6 months they did an auto CLI to just over $7K.   I asked them to make it a World card, they refused, and I closed it.

So I had wasted a HP on a card with a low CL whose rewards were totally subsumed by the Fidelity Amex, and exceeded in some bonus categories by Cash Plus.  But I don't stay awake at night thinking "Oh, if only I had not applied for that Barclay's card"!

Message 36 of 38
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

i dont regret the better balance card as Im using the 0% balance transfer promo to pay off my chevron balance. 

0% is better than 26.99% any day!

i DO regret asking bofa for a CLI on initial approval. they did a hard pull. it seems like thats three strikes on CLI requests over the phone this year for me - macys, wfb, and bofa all hard pulls with denials. wack. :/ 

Message 37 of 38
RushXTC
Established Contributor

There's a couple of hard pulls I regret... Mostly because I'm an idiot for attempting so many times...

I applied and got declined for Best buy AND Bill me later like 6 times in 1 year (they're just now erasing from my history)

So yeah... Not sure why I kept trying so hard..

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.