Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Relocating credit

Is relocating credit limits between cards with Boa still a hard pull or is it now a soft one?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Relocating credit

@Anonymous wrote:
Is relocating credit limits between cards with Boa still a hard pull or is it now a soft one?

I always thought it was a Soft pull because I done it about a year ago and it was a soft pull

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, I tried it over a year ago and they wanted a hard pull so I declined.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me know how it goes. I have 2 BoA cards I’m planning on combining also.
Message 4 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

From what I found, it appears that it is more likely a HP, but at times can be a SP.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There aren’t a lot of concrete data points on this since they stopped doing HPs for CLI requests. When I closed my Cash Rewards card a few months back, I was able to move its limit to my Travel Rewards card with no HP. I do know in the past that it often resulted in a HP.

Since CLI requests are a SP, consider just asking for a CLI on the card you want to increase?
Message 6 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
There aren’t a lot of concrete data points on this since they stopped doing HPs for CLI requests. When I closed my Cash Rewards card a few months back, I was able to move its limit to my Travel Rewards card with no HP. I do know in the past that it often resulted in a HP.

Since CLI requests are a SP, consider just asking for a CLI on the card you want to increase?

The problem can be exposure. If you're already at your limit with BOA, asking for a CLI isn't going to work, whereas moving limits can. Not sure if OP is at their limit or not, but something to consider.

OP, it seems there's no longer a HP done for BOA reallocations but YMMV. I haven't heard of anyone being HP'd for this in at least a year. Doesn't mean they can't do a HP though.

Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 If you're at maximum exposure, my experience the past few times has been that they will grant your CLI request by automatically doing the reallocation which is why I mentioned it.  Smiley Wink  After hearing that a few more people were able to break past the $99,900 "ceiling" last week, I decided to ask for a CLI to $85,000 on my Travel Rewards card and they moved around $8,000 or so from my Premium Rewards card to meet me halfway.  That's a low HP risk way to do it, but of course calling them will give you more precise control over the dollar amounts. 

FWIW, the last two times I spoke with a credit analyst, they still read the standard HP script just like they always have but didn't do a pull.

Message 8 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of months ago I rolled (2) Cash Rewards and (1) Travel Rewards into my Alaska Airlines Visa with BoA and didn't receive an HP.  Was able to get it all done within 5 minutes once a rep was on the line.  Simple and easy...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.