cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal as AUTHORIZED USER - What is the best way to do it??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removal as AUTHORIZED USER - What is the best way to do it??

Hey All,

So I know that this is a hotly debated issue.

I am listed as an AU on my wife's CAP1 and CITI cards and both are at around 95% util, which is bringing down my score.

In the past year and a half, I have got my own TLs and have managed them very well. I know that it if I have her remove me as an

AU, they may or may not still show on my report and so I could maybe still get the AAOA benefit. Either way, the util is probably hurting

my score more than the benefit of the AAOA and it might be a while before she can pay them off.

My question is this: Does anyone know with these two banks in particular if we need to pay them to zero balance first before removing

me as and AU?

Also - how long could it take for the removal to show up on my CR? Would she need to do it before the card reports for the month?

Please advise.

H.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Removal as AUTHORIZED USER - What is the best way to do it??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey All,

I am listed as an AU on my wife's CAP1 and CITI cards and both are at around 95% util, which is bringing down my score.

In the past year and a half, I have got my own TLs and have managed them very well. I know that it if I have her remove me as an

AU, they may or may not still show on my report and so I could maybe still get the AAOA benefit. Either way, the util is probably hurting

my score more than the benefit of the AAOA and it might be a while before she can pay them off.

My question is this: Does anyone know with these two banks in particular if we need to pay them to zero balance first before removing

me as and AU?

Also - how long could it take for the removal to show up on my CR? Would she need to do it before the card reports for the month?

Please advise.

H.

Authorized Users are not liable (in most cases) for the debt. You don't need to pay to remove yourself as an AU. The wife should be able to call both cap1 and citi and ask them to remove you. The accounts should then get taken off your reports. If not, I would dispute with the CRAs, saying the accounts don't belong to you (as they don't)

Message 2 of 5
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey All,

me as and AU?

Please advise.

H.

Authorized Users are not liable (in most cases) for the debt. You don't need to pay to remove yourself as an AU. The wife should be able to call both cap1 and citi and ask them to remove you. The accounts should then get taken off your reports. If not, I would dispute with the CRAs, saying the accounts don't belong to you (as they don't)

+1 I am currently going through this.  After beign removed as an AU, I had to contact the CRAs directly to remove the tradelines.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.Although I'm concerned that maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

It's just that I've heard that in some cases it has stayed on the report of the AU for a while and shown up as a closed account,

sometimes showing the amount that was owed at the time of removal and therefore showing a higher util than is accurate...

That's why I was wondering if we should pay it down before having me removed as an AU.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me how long it took to have the account removed from your report?

And which banks the cards were with? And did your score take a hit with the reduced AAOA?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.