Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of AU

tag
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

Removal of AU

Hey all....

I have a friend who was a AU on 2 of her mothers cc's.  Her mother was elderly, and put into a nursing home, and became unable to pay her cc bills.  The cc's have been since charged off and my firends mother has since passed away.  My question is how can my friend get these accounts off of her credit now that her mother has died?  She has had power of attorney since her mother went in the nursing home...would that help?  Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I have no specifics on these accounts, except to say that my friend was just an AU, not a joint holder.  Thanks again....

Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Re: Removal of AU

If she was an AU, she can just call the company and tell them to take her off the account (if they say the AU can't remove themselves, she can mention power of att. for her dead mother).  Also, it might help to have a copy of the death certificate to show that her mother has passed on and the accounts should all be closed.  As an AU, once she's removed, they will come off her CR completely, as if they were never there.
Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Your friend can also dispute with each CRA as "Not Mine". AUs aren't the account holders and thus the account isn't theirs.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power of attorney seizes at death. 

Not sure how AU works when the owner passes... I would assume account is closed and becomes responsility of the estate.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.