Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing old credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing old credit cards

I have old credit cards on my report that I have not used in years, accounts that I thought were closed.  How do I get them off the record?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Removing old credit cards

They stay on for 10 years after they are closed, and are very good if they have no baddies.  They increase you average age of account.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 5
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Ratler and welcome to the forums.

If these accounts have no baddies and are in good standing, why would you want it off your report. If they are not closed yet, I would try to use the card or get a replacement card and use the card. This will enable you to continue to have a long history and have good tradelines on your report.

Do not remove if these accounts are in good standing and try to keep them open if they are not currently close

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if they DO have baddies?  I have a First Premier account that was closed by Grantor's request 06/2003, and had a couple 30s (the most recent of which was April 2003).  WIll that whole account fall off after the seven years, or only the baddies?

Also, how does one find out the date of fall-off?  On my Free annual report, sometimes they show it...but on the True Credit reports, they don't.  Is this something you can call the CRA and ask?

Thanks!

IM

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The baddies will fall off 7 years after they occurred.

The card itself will stop reporting 10 years after it was closed.

A couple of old 30's probably aren't hurting. BUT Equifax stopped reporting one of my closed cards after only 4 years. I was livid, as I am history-challenged, until I saw that my score went up a few points. I have several accounts with lates, and I think it helped to have one fewer "dirty" account.

So sometimes there's just no telling which is more helpful.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.