cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent With CC (Whats the best deal I can get?)

tag
Kree
Established Contributor

Rent With CC (Whats the best deal I can get?)

Just found out my rent payment service accepts credit cards. They charge 2.95% as a processing fee. I currently get 2% back with discover, so .95% doesn't seem too bad.

I'm thinking of paying a month or two with CCs to help rebuild my savings. I used it for some financial tomfoolery (100 points in 4 months), but as I'm about to enter the garden for atleast a year, I think having the financial security of increased savings is worth paying a bit of interest and and taking a few dings on my credit score.

Then I thought, "I wonder if I can get more than 2.95% back."  Any thoughts, on card options?  I was planning to apply for a Chase Disney card because of an upcoming honeymoon at Disney World, and even if I don't get cash back, the points would be great, but I do have room in my inquiries for 1 more card, and a rent card could be swell going forward.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rent With CC (Whats the best deal I can get?)

Discover IT Miles is 3% cashback the first year but half of it comes back to you AFTER the first year (cash back match).

Alliant 3% card is 3% the first year but after that it's 2.5% and the second year they charge an annual fee.

I'm not sure of any other 3% cards that will work for paying rent as I have no idea how the payment process codes ("MCC") the transaction.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did something similar in using a credit card to jump start my savings.

I pulled a no fee cash advance off of my NFCU CC, then balance transferred it to Pen Fed @ 0% for 12 months for a 3% fee. I am making payments every 2 weeks on payday to have this paid off before the 0% ends.

Yes, I paid a few hundred bucks for it, but $$ in the bank gives me a feeling of security that is well worth it. I'm not at a creditor's mercy in an emergency should they reduce my credit limits or cancel my cards. Cash in my bank account can be used for anything I might need it for.

Message 3 of 25
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I did something similar in using a credit card to jump start my savings.

@I pulled a no fee cash advance off of my NFCU CC, then balance transferred it to Pen Fed @ 0% for 12 months for a 3% fee. I am making payments every 2 weeks on payday to have this paid off before the 0% ends.

Yes, I paid a few hundred bucks for it, but $$ in the bank gives me a feeling of security that is well worth it. I'm not at a creditor's mercy in an emergency should they reduce my credit limits or cancel my cards. Cash in my bank account can be used for anything I might need it for.

I think you mentioning it in another thread is the reason I thought of this. I'm in the middle of building a house of cards, so I haven't mentioned all of the details of my financial voyage, but in another month I will be sharing the greatest story of risk and adventure. (and hopefully success)

Message 4 of 25
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

@Kree wrote:

Just found out my rent payment service accepts credit cards. They charge 2.95% as a processing fee. I currently get 2% back with discover, so .95% doesn't seem too bad.

I'm thinking of paying a month or two with CCs to help rebuild my savings. I used it for some financial tomfoolery (100 points in 4 months), but as I'm about to enter the garden for atleast a year, I think having the financial security of increased savings is worth paying a bit of interest and and taking a few dings on my credit score.

I can't figure out how this is a good idea at all... Do you have 0% interest on your Discover?

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ardecko wrote:

I can't figure out how this is a good idea at all... Do you have 0% interest on your Discover?

I had an active thread on why putting money in savings is more important than avoiding interest but unfortunately it was against the forum rules so I can't link to it.

But my view and opinion (which has helped hundreds of folks on Facebook just this year save money for the first time in their lives) is that if you don't have saving, it is better to save money now even if it means a few hundred dollars extra in interest.  It's the act of starting to save that helps you reduce financial anxiety forever -- and if it costs you a little bit the first year, so be it.  Once you get to $2500 in savings, you will realize what you've been missing.

I support the idea of paying rent over 12 months even if it means one will pay $200 more in interest if it helps a person start a savings account of $1000 and then building it over over time so that in a year they have $2500 in there if possible.

Message 6 of 25
Kree
Established Contributor

@Ardecko wrote:

@Kree wrote:

I am, as they say, crazy like a fox. My 5 year plan is so convoluted George R.R. Martin could have written it.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is the first time that I've heard of someone wanting to save money by spending more money as opposed to just saving money without spending more money. But hey, taking two steps forward to go three steps back is just how some people roll.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this is the first time that I've heard of someone wanting to save money by spending more money as opposed to just saving money without spending more money. But hey, taking two steps forward to go three steps back is just how some people roll.

I've been pushing that line for 10+ years and I have been at maximum Facebook friends for 7 years, with somewhere between 1000 and 2000 requests pending that I can't accept.  Why?  Because literally 100s of people every year come to me for financial advice and the #1 advice I have for everyone is to build savings faster than paying down debt.  I haven't changed my tune about it because no one can prove me wrong until they've tried it themselves.

The #1 issue with financial stress is that people have anxiety and even depression not just about their current situation but about the ghost of what might happen tomorrow if they lose their job, or their spouse divorces them, or they end up in the hospital.  That anxiety/depression about the future is 10000% worse than the anxiety about the current.

When a person hits 6 months of savings -- no matter how much extra interest it cost them getting there -- almost 90% of them tell me their anxiety completely disappears even if they didn't put a dent in $100,000 of student loans or $60,000 on credit card debt.  The flip side is, close to 0% of folks who decided to throw every dollar at debt ends up paying down $100,000 in loans to $90,000 or $60,000 in credit cards to $50,000 and have $0 in savings and their anxiety and depression gets worse because they worked so hard with negligible effect.

6 months of emergency savings makes you realize that no matter what happens, you have 6 months to pay all your bills and debts in case of income emergency.  In my research, and I've interviewed thousands of people over the recent years, more than 6/7 people in credit hell or financial purgatory got there because of an income event that lasted less than 6 months.  So had they put 6 months away for emergencies, they never would have gotten into the problem they face today.

Most people who follow my 6 month advice like it so much they aim for a year -- even if it costs them $1200 more in interest.  Why?  Because when you have a year in savings, you can give the finger to your boss, your cheating significant other, or anyone who bothers you.  It's F.U. money.  It's freedom.

People who are ignorant of human emotions and hormones will go based only on the math, not realizing they're totally unwilling to look at reality.

Me?  I retired young thanks to saving more than paying down debt.  I blew my FICO scores at one point because I had my emergency fund locked up in investments I couldn't liquidate, so I took the FICO ding just so my investments could grow.  I can fix my credit in 7 years at any point, but 7 years of compound interest is MASSIVE.  Note that at the time my FICO got smash (2012 or so) I had quite a bit riding in Bitcoin at around $6 each.  So I made the right call -- take a massive FICO smash for what was a really risky bet, but it paid of massively and accelerated my retirement by 5 years.

Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just to observe: the number of people asking for advice says very little about the quality or the appropriateness of the advice, even with apparently satisfied customers.   Maybe if they had done something else they would have been even better off.

I do understand that having an emergency fund has real as well as psychological benefits.   But if it is based on money that is owed, with interest, to my mind it's not that robust.   

But whatever....

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.