Did you mean: 

Replace my Zync with?

tag
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Replace my Zync with?

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@espnjunkie wrote:

I wouldn't recommend doing that ^. Amex revolvers all have roughly the same requirements and if you get approved for one, more than likely you will be approved for any of their products, especially if you have some positive history with them. Apply for the card you want and go for it.

Actually no. Some AMEX co-branded cards (Delta, Hilton, and Costco) have easier approval criteria than Blue, BCE, etc. One reason is because co-branded card does not have promotional offer.

Existing history with AMEX matters not. I had Zync for 12 months at one point, and it did nothing to help me get BCE at all (constant denial). I ended up closing the Zync card and apped Hilton AMEX. Instant approved and went ahead PC to BCE.

its not true that co-branded card does not have promotional offer. They does as 30k miles on Delta, 40k on Hilton....etc........

I did PC my delta to BCE too even thou i havent receive my first bill. They very easy to deal with and just one simple phone call then you would get BCE.

So if your score kinda low then co-branded then PC.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Promotional offer as in no 0% APR.

Should have been more clear.

Message 12 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

p-: your history supports getting a BCE/BCP or maybe the Costco, and as others have stated from what you describe it certainly looks like an easy decision as most everything else is geared more with the exception of Blue or the Clear if you care about such things, and the Costco co-brand.

Also while it may not be "pre-approved" on the Gold PRG (and I agree it's the wrong card with your scenario) getting an offer at all is non-zero as I don't have anything like that.

@Cdnew: Never did see the statement credit for Costco either on my Zync last month, here I thought they didn't do any on the card but newp, it's just me, again.  Cat Tongue

        
Message 13 of 19
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Cdnew: Never did see the statement credit for Costco either on my Zync last month, here I thought they didn't do any on the card but newp, it's just me, again.  Cat Tongue

Did you use it for Costco.com? I missed that the first time and thought it was any Costco purchase.. Credit posted a day after the Costco.com charge went from pending to posted. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 14 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Amex hard or soft?

Thanks for all of the feedback...

I have to wait for a couple of statements to close for my utilization to optimize, and I'll be ready to app.  I plan to pull the trigger before the end of Jan for the optimal backdating.  I've read that members get a hard pull only if approved, and a soft if denied; is that correct?  Have any of you experienced this?

Message 15 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex hard or soft?

@p- wrote:

Thanks for all of the feedback...

I have to wait for a couple of statements to close for my utilization to optimize, and I'll be ready to app.  I plan to pull the trigger before the end of Jan for the optimal backdating.  I've read that members get a hard pull only if approved, and a soft if denied; is that correct?  Have any of you experienced this?

That's the conventional wisdom, but there are a few exceptions.  For example, if your application is borderline, they may decide to pull EQ and or TU and that could still lead to a denial.  There are also a couple reports of people getting hards with denials when they are current members, but I am pretty sure that involved business card applications.

So, while this seems to usually hold true, just want to remind people that they should always expect a hard pull when applying for credit.  If for no other reason, policies can change.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex hard or soft?

@Walt_K wrote:
So, while this seems to usually hold true, just want to remind people that they should always expect a hard pull when applying for credit.  If for no other reason, policies can change.

Do you know which CB they normally soft?  When I applied for Zync they used Experian.  Hopefully they don't; that is my weeakest.  My car loan inquiries are all there, plus one 6 year old paid baddie that won't let go.

Message 17 of 19
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

They soft Ex from my experience
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 18 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
They soft Ex from my experience

Figures.  Well, I'll find out before the end of Jan, and if I'm declined I'll wait a year.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.