Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report a Merchant to Amex

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Report a Merchant to Amex

I am in process of moving into my new home (scheduled to close on Monday Smiley Happy), but had to be out my old house this past week.

Hired movers to try and be efficient. I got the run around on what cards they accepted, some said everything, some said just Visa/Mastercard, but was finally told they try to avoid AMEX because of the fee but would take it if they had to. I told them that was what I was paying with becasue of the cost of the move. The rep just said ok.

The movers show up, and in conversation mention that I need to pay before they unload my items into my temporary storage. I forget exactly how the conversation went but he was laughing saying if I paid with a credit card, they charged a 3% fee. I stopped smiling and was like oh really? He then, still laughing, said yep and Amex is 12%. I looked at him and said, that's what I am paying with. He pulled it together then, as we had so many unexpected fees with the move when they showed up and I kind of lost it on the guy, so he knew I was about to blow if there was one more extra anything! He said he would see what they could do about it, and were able to drop it to 3% by tht time I paid. So on top of my $572.25 move, there was a fee of $17.16.

Now its not much, but its the principle. I am fairly certain they can't do that. Has anyone ever called Amex and reported a merchant? What was the outcome? I will probably wait to do it after they move me in next Wednesday and probably charge another fee for that move since I am paying with the same card, but just want to know what to expect.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Report a Merchant to Amex

Are you saying that they charged you a credit card surcharge of 3% by using your AMEX (same percentage as Visa, MC, Discover)?

What states are you in? Unless you are in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma or Texas they ARE ALLOWED to charge you a credit card surcharge (since Visa and MC recently agreed on credit card surcharge, and AMEX policy is equal electronic payment).

Now if they charge 12% surcharge on AMEX but 3% on Visa, MC, and Discover that IS a merchant violation and you CAN report it to AMEX. However if they charge 3% surcharge across the board it is NOT a violation unless you live in one of the ten states above.

Message 2 of 15
chan85
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Are you saying that they charged you a credit card surcharge of 3% by using your AMEX (same percentage as Visa, MC, Discover)?

What states are you in? Unless you are in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma or Texas they ARE ALLOWED to charge you a credit card surcharge (since Visa and MC recently agreed on credit card surchagre, and AMEX policy is equal electronic payment).

Now if they charge 12% surcharge on AMEX but 3% on Visa, MC, and Discover that IS a merchant violation and you CAN report it to AMEX. However if they charge 3% surcharge across the board it is NOT a violation unless you live in one of the ten states above.

They wanted to charge my 12% but instead charged 3%...... he said that their policy was 12% for AMEX and 3% for the others, however he said he called and got them to drop it to the 3%. Perhaps they checked the paperwork and saw that they had to be equal...... but even still that sucks. I live in GA by the way.

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

GA does not have state law prohibits credit card surcharge.

Next time if they want to charge 12% remind them it is a violation on AMEX policy.

Message 4 of 15
nada9188
Frequent Contributor
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

I think the point Chan was making thinking the TOTAL was $572.25 and $17.16 included.

$589.41 was the total they should have told you to start with.

By saying $xx + fees makes me think I'm getting ripped off. 

Try to find different moving people.

Message 6 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Either way i would call up and report, if they tried to charge you 12% for amex then I'm sure they've tried it on others and succeeded.
Message 7 of 15
chan85
Established Contributor

@DeadSpider wrote:

I think the point Chan was making thinking the TOTAL was $572.25 and $17.16 included.

$589.41 was the total they should have told you to start with.

By saying $xx + fees makes me think I'm getting ripped off. 

Try to find different moving people.

Yes, that was part of the problem. But they showed up and had fees for everything- tape, wrapping paper, all the time it took to inventory my stuff and load it into vaults when they were supposed to keep it at their site (I ended up having them move it into a storage when they said that all the stuff they needed to do could take 8+ hours)- all the stuff they claimed were what makes their service top notch, I chose them because they were recommended and they turned out to be the cheapest. So one more fee just to pay them for the service was it for me.

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 8 of 15
chan85
Established Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:
Go to www.takeamex.com

https://www316.americanexpress.com/iFormsSecure/un/iforms.do?cuid=takeamex_en_US&evttype=0&evtsrc=li...

Thank you for that link!!

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong, surcharges are still a violation of the merchant agreement in all 50 states. The lawsuit settlement allowing surcharges hasn't even been accepted yet let alone taken effect.

What they are doing violates their merchant agreement with all 4 card companies. Report them.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.