cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Income Question

tag
Temporary_me

Reporting Income Question

I had a quick question about reporting income on an application. While currently I am in my last semester of college and my yearly income between scholarships and my last summer internship total ~$40k, however, I have an accepted employment offer for significantly more. I'm wanting to apply for a travel card for the month or so I'm taking off before beginning work and will be overseas.

Would it be acceptable to report my accepted job offer as my income on the application? I only ask because I'm trying to get approved for a World MasterCard ($5k limit) and fear this wouldn't happen if I reported $40k. Seems a bit silly to miss out on the WMC because I need the card a month before my start date. Never the less I don't want to enter too much of a grey area of legitimacy on an application. My concern would be proof of income, all of which I'd have is my previous internship pay stubs, scholarship documentation and an offer letter for employment.

Thoughts? Thanks!

FICO: 763 (Discover Statement March 2015)
Barclay Arrival (no fee) - $6,300
Discover Open Road - $2,500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Reporting Income Question

Whatever you can document, you can report. And just for a data point, I have gotten approved for Visa Signatures and World Mastercards when I was reporting a $35,000 income as a student. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

@Temporary_me wrote:

I had a quick question about reporting income on an application. While currently I am in my last semester of college and my yearly income between scholarships and my last summer internship total ~$40k, however, I have an accepted employment offer for significantly more. I'm wanting to apply for a travel card for the month or so I'm taking off before beginning work and will be overseas.

Would it be acceptable to report my accepted job offer as my income on the application? I only ask because I'm trying to get approved for a World MasterCard ($5k limit) and fear this wouldn't happen if I reported $40k. Seems a bit silly to miss out on the WMC because I need the card a month before my start date. Never the less I don't want to enter too much of a grey area of legitimacy on an application. My concern would be proof of income, all of which I'd have is my previous internship pay stubs, scholarship documentation and an offer letter for employment.

Thoughts? Thanks!

i don't think you will not qualify for visa signature / world mastercard just because your income is 40k. there have been plenty of examples where people with similar or lower income qualifying for it.

it's best to just report whatever income you have already received and can document. if your new job is starting soon, say within 30 days, then go ahead and report that income. if it's still several months away, then it's best to play it safe. If those banks happen to have physical branches in your area, drop by in person and talk to a banker. Most banks have special considerations route to help approve people whom are not in "normal" circumstances. They probably can work something out for you as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 4
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Temporary_me wrote:

Thoughts? Thanks!

Careful reporting schloarships as income as the sole purpose of this is to pay for education. And yes, it's good to report any income (not education related of course) that you earn. Paid internships are ok. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.