cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Discover CLI HP or Apply AMEX Delta first?

tag
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Request Discover CLI HP or Apply AMEX Delta first?

I have two secured cards with low limits that are about 6 months old, and a Discover IT card with a 750 CL that is upon its 90 days right now. My credit history is just these accounts with nothing bad reporting. 0 balance on the two secured and under 10% on the discover.

My question is, I want the amex delta card as delta has sent me a good offer for it, I would like to apply in 6 weeks for it. Should I request an HP CLI on my discover first and then amex or the other way around? I am concerned my limits are too low. I have 3 inq on my experian, five on TU (apt and cell phone are the last two. Thanks!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Re: Request Discover CLI HP or Apply AMEX Delta first?

To make it clear in wondering if the hard pull for a CLI will hurt my approval chances of the amex.
Message 2 of 16
john398
Senior Contributor

Well have you thought about trying to get a CLI online with discover without a HP?

Message 3 of 16
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Discover is usually a HP on TU, at least for me. Amex almost always EX HP. But, nothing is for sure.
About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 4 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Why don't you apply for the two cards at the same time so that the banks won't see each other's inquiry?

Message 5 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Inq's are instant. There is no guarantee that lenders will not see the other banks inquiry.
Message 6 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Not instant to the second. It takes some time for the system to request information from the consumer reporting agencies, and some more time for the consumer reporting agencies to update your credit profile. This should take several seconds. So if you cram an application into this time window the bank won't see the inquiry.

Message 7 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@HiLine

Yes that is true. However, trying to guess what milli-second Card A will get a response vs Card B or vice versa is a YMMV.

If the Op is concerned about 1 HP as a reason for decline then maybe apping now isn't a good idea.
Message 8 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Come on! Not like you didn't know the impact of inquiries is often inflated by relatively inexperienced members on this board! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.