Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Score for AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Required Score for AMEX

Hello,

I have applied a few different times in the past for an AMEX card and I am always declined, what score do you need for an AMEX?

Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Required Score for AMEX

chapmanjw wrote:
Hello,

I have applied a few different times in the past for an AMEX card and I am always declined, what score do you need for an AMEX?

Thanks

Welcome to the FICO Forums, chapmanjw.

There are so many different Amex cards, and they all have different requirements.

Which Amex cards have you applied for?  What were the reasons for denial?  Do you know your EX score?  Any baddies?  If so, what are they and how old are they?  Have you ever had an account with Amex go bad in the past?

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-18-2008 01:56 PM
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores: TU 675, EQ 655, EX 622

In the past I have applied for the blue, the green, and the gold.

I have no negative history, just some high balances.

-John C.

Message Edited by chapmanjw on 07-18-2008 01:59 PM
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I almost forgot, the most recent attempt was for a Costco AMEX card.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores were below 650 when I applied for the AMEX Costco.
I had a CO back in 05, several lates and 1 collections all prior to 2005.
Was approved for Costco AMEX with $2000 CL in February this year.
I think they also factoring in how much you spend at Costco for the approval decision.
Have been Costco member since 1999 & I spend an average of $200 every 2-3 weeks at Costco.
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Scores: TU 675, EQ 655, EX 622

In the past I have applied for the blue, the green, and the gold.

I have no negative history, just some high balances.

-John C.

In this day and age, high util will kill you for AmEx. They're very wary of being burned.

They do preferentially pull EX, so shining that one up would help.

To have scores that low (relatively) with no baddies, you must have some hellaciously high balances. If you're willing to pay them down, and that is genuinely your only negative, you will not only get a card, but your scores will soar.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-18-2008 04:01 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like that is definatly what I need to work on.  I currently have about a 75% util on my revolving credit, pretty bad I know.  But this I have been and am continuing to work on.  What should my util percent be under before trying to reapply?

Thanks,

John
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

util makes a HUGE different in ficos.. Went from 87% to 41% and saw a 38 point increase... The "magic" number is >9%
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
In this day and age, high util will kill you for AmEx. They're very wary of being burned.

They do preferentially pull EX, so shining that one up would help.

To have scores that low (relatively) with no baddies, you must have some hellaciously high balances. If you're willing to pay them down, and that is genuinely your only negative, you will not only get a card, but your scores will soar.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-18-2008 04:01 PM

Yuck. Not in our case. According to WGMC.com, his EX (about 600 or so) score could have gotten him in with Delta SkyMiles ... but they pulled EQ, his lowest at 578.

We're in Florida, if that makes any difference. :/
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

AlishaR wrote:
util makes a HUGE different in ficos.. Went from 87% to 41% and saw a 38 point increase... The "magic" number is >9%

< 9% is what your FICO likes your util at.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.