Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resisting Temptation!!

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Resisting Temptation!!

I love getting preapprovals in the mail because it let's me know I am doing good and has also opened the door for me to get a few cards I never imagined I would be able to get this soon. When they come in the mail, you have time to think about it and talk yourself out of it. *lol*  Well, this weekend I went to JCPenney (which I have secretly been wanting a card for) and they tempted me with 20% off at the register. This is the first time I have been asked at the checkout....I totally broke out in a sweat and I know the cashier had to think I was crazy! I told her no, then maybe, then no. Then she added up how much I would save on this purchase and my mind raced back and forth like a crazy person!! My daugher was looking at me and I had just heard the man in front of me get approved...the pressure was really on. I finally said "I just really can't" and hurried up and paid and got out of there! *lol*  I am proud of myself for resisting but could not believe how stressful my decision making process was! I wanted to post this here because I know you will all understand......anyone else get stressed out like that over a possible new card?? Cat Tongue

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Resisting Temptation!!

@snowkitty wrote:

I love getting preapprovals in the mail because it let's me know I am doing good and has also opened the door for me to get a few cards I never imagined I would be able to get this soon. When they come in the mail, you have time to think about it and talk yourself out of it. *lol*  Well, this weekend I went to JCPenney (which I have secretly been wanting a card for) and they tempted me with 20% off at the register. This is the first time I have been asked at the checkout....I totally broke out in a sweat and I know the cashier had to think I was crazy! I told her no, then maybe, then no. Then she added up how much I would save on this purchase and my mind raced back and forth like a crazy person!! My daugher was looking at me and I had just heard the man in front of me get approved...the pressure was really on. I finally said "I just really can't" and hurried up and paid and got out of there! *lol*  I am proud of myself for resisting but could not believe how stressful my decision making process was! I wanted to post this here because I know you will all understand......anyone else get stressed out like that over a possible new card?? Cat Tongue

Yes! I am trying to steer clear of Macy's because every time I shop there they remind me about the additional discounts you get when charging on their card.  Just this weekend SamsClub employees were 'stalking' me too! 

It's hard enough with the commercials...that's how I apped for my Discover It. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 11
BearOSO
Contributor

I always say no by my irrational fear of somehow getting...

I always say no by my irrational fear of somehow getting in a Jason Bourne scenario and I get caught with my pants down at Macy's because I am trying to save 20%. 

Gotta stay off the grid, man!!!

Message 3 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol!!! I love my JCP card :-) the highest initial cl I think is $2000.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I had to resist temptation when I saw the post about the $400 sign up bonus for the nfl card. Haha.
Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jsucool76 wrote:
I had to resist temptation when I saw the post about the $400 sign up bonus for the nfl card. Haha.

I forgot about that one! 

Message 6 of 11
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I haven't seen the nfl 400 sign up bonus post yet....Maybe I should log out now....lol
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 7 of 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

You know it! As much as I would love to apply for an RFCU, DCU, Walmart, Citi Forward, etc. etc. ... i REALLY want to resist until my scores are close to perfect (in many, many years from now XD)

Message 8 of 11
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Why waste an inquiry on JCP? You must not follow the business news that says they probably won't be around  for 2014

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I know its like I am doing something right when the preapprovals roll in! Keep strong and dont give in!!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.