Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restaurant accepting Amex only?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Restaurant accepting Amex only?

Today was the first time in my life I went to a restaurant that accepted only American Express cards, and no other cards.

What's that about?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Restaurant accepting Amex only?

That is pretty funny! Around home I usually see restaurants that bring the bill to you in an AMEX-branded thing, but have the logo scratched out, taped over, or some other means of stating that they don't accept American Express.

Pretty funny to hear of the polar opposite Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't leave home without it...cause you never know when you'll find a place that only takes it?
Good example of why its important to diversify.
Very odd instead.
Message 3 of 20
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

That is awesome, you never hear that.

Alot of restaurants here ONLY allow Visa and Mastercard. Atlest the local restaurants. 

More than likely the business probably has a agreement with AMEX that gives them some type of benefit or discount to only accept Amex.

Message 4 of 20
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Do they disclose that fact upfront? They would likely be out a lot of money if customers realized after the meal that the restaurant only takes AMEX

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 5 of 20
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

As a former small business owner, I can say that AMEX can be absolutely awesome as far as discount rates, etc.. if they want your business. I was paying a rate that matched my MC/Visa processing rates, with no transaction fees. I have a friend that owns a small bar and pool hall, he is paying a flat $15 per month, with up to $5K of transactions. No discount rate, or transaction fees. AMEX can be weird, from  merchant's perspective...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Weird...

Costco had there exclusivity agreement with Amex due to the large size and volume of the Costco portfolio. I can't imagine a small ma and pa restaurant having that kind of clout! But very cool. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I think I've been there, too. Is the chef's specialty a $1.50 hot dog and soda?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Nice! :-D 

Lol

I'm headed there as we speak. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 9 of 20
sponge_gto
New Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

As a former small business owner, I can say that AMEX can be absolutely awesome as far as discount rates, etc.. if they want your business. I was paying a rate that matched my MC/Visa processing rates, with no transaction fees. I have a friend that owns a small bar and pool hall, he is paying a flat $15 per month, with up to $5K of transactions. No discount rate, or transaction fees. AMEX can be weird, from  merchant's perspective...

$15 for $5k is 0.3%. That's basically a freebie..

Amex: EDP, Platinum, SPG, Delta Gold; Chase: United no-AF, CSR, FU, IHG, Freedom; US Bank: Club Carlson Premier, Fidelity; Barclay: Rewards, SM; Discover: IT; Cap. One: Quicksilver; BoA: BBR; Consumers CU: Cash Rebates Siggy
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.