Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retiring Amex BCE?

tag
dearppl
Contributor

Retiring Amex BCE?

Amex BEC has been my main card for grocery and gas. Always enjoyed the cash back and the customer service, also the premium design if you will. But I just found out I wasn't getting the 3% cash back at Walmart... (how did I miss it...?) So, there's really no incentive for me to continue using this card. 

Should I apply the Sallie Mae reward card and get 5% cash back on gas/grocery? I usually spend around $250 for each category, which is the cap anyway. And should I also apply for maybe a BoA cash reward or PenFed Premium Visa to catch the rest of the spending?  

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Johnnyblaze1986
Valued Member

Re: Retiring Amex BCE?

Can't go wrong with Sallie Mae! Got an email the other day about an additional 2% for groceries, and another category. The promotion is only good for a few months.

Current Score: EX: 802 TU: 793 EQ: 790 / Last App: 04/11/2014 / In the garden until I find a house I like.

Citi Dividend $14,000Amex Blue Cash Preferred $14,000Chase Ink Cash $12,500Sallie Mae $12,500BOA Business Cash Back Rewards $10,000Chase Sapphire Preferred $8,500 Capital One Quicksilver $1,000     
Message 2 of 18
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If you're in the mood to app, I would highly recommend the Sallie Mae, for sure. If that's the amount you spend per month, it seems like the card is perfectly tailored for you!

Of course, if you spend more than $250 for the gas, then yes the PenFed Platinum Visa Signature would be a great fit for the gas spending since it's 5 points per gas dollar at the pump, 3 points/$ at supermarkets, and 1 point everywhere else.
Message 3 of 18
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@dearppl wrote:

Amex BCE has been my main card for grocery and gas. Always enjoyed the cash back and the customer service, also the premium design if you will. But I just found out I wasn't getting the 3% cash back at Walmart... (how did I miss it...?) So, there's really no incentive for me to continue using this card. 

Should I apply the Sallie Mae reward card and get 5% cash back on gas/grocery? I usually spend around $250 for each category, which is the cap anyway. And should I also apply for maybe a BoA cash reward or PenFed Premium Visa to catch the rest of the spending?  

If the Amex isn't treating your Walmart as a grocery store, it is likely that the Sallie Mae would do the same. You might want to check your particular Walmart using this tool (VISA and MasterCard use the same merchant categories):

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp

Yes, getting the Sallie Mae is a good upgrade. And it is possible to get two Sallie Mae cards, though you have to wait since Barclays doesn't like multiple applications at the same time. I applied for my second card 6.5 months after the first.

If you are in or near Huntington Bank's service area, you can get the Huntington Voice card for 3% cash back at Walmart. Huntington locations:

https://www.huntington.com/regions/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 18
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

If you're shopping exclusively at Walmart for gas and groceries, I would look at the Huntington Voice card by HNB.  It has it's own 3% category for Walmart specifically.  You can only choose one 3% category per quarter but if you're getting gas and groceries at Walmart, you might come out ahead with this card.  It's a sure EQ pull in case that helps. 

I have one and chose utilities and it's not a bad card.  It's a WMC no matter the credit limit you start with, too.

Hope this helps. 

EDITED:  grammar

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 5 of 18
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Sallie Mae considers Walmart a grocery store. If in doubt, google "visa mcc search" and look up your local walmart. Visa and MC use the same merchant category codes.

Amex considers Walmart Neighborhood Market a grocery store.

Message 6 of 18
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

There are many options out there, plus those previously mentioned cards can be used at a lot of different places for rewards as well. You want a card that you can use daily for everything for less hassle and stacking rewards. Close the AMEX for sure.

Message 7 of 18
dearppl
Contributor

Thanks guy. I was able to get approved this afternoon for $10,000. Wish the reward cap was higher though for this CL. Thanks for all the help!

Message 8 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Sallie Mae considers Walmart a grocery store. If in doubt, google "visa mcc search" and look up your local walmart. Visa and MC use the same merchant category codes.

Amex considers Walmart Neighborhood Market a grocery store.

so in effect I could but gift cards for walmart super center at my smaller Neighborhood Market?

Message 9 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

@dearppl wrote:

Thanks guy. I was able to get approved this afternoon for $10,000. Wish the reward cap was higher though for this CL. Thanks for all the help!

congrats this a nice limit

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.