Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retroactively applying SUB

tag
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Retroactively applying SUB

Just got the Amex BBP about 2 weeks ago, just before the 10000 bonus came out. I tried calling and asking them to apply the SUB to my account, but they said no. I have had Chase retroactively apply in the past, so should I just HUCA or does Amex not do that?

[2/2019]
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Retroactively applying SUB

@jdbkiang wrote:

Just got the Amex BBP about 2 weeks ago, just before the 10000 bonus came out. I tried calling and asking them to apply the SUB to my account, but they said no. I have had Chase retroactively apply in the past, so should I just HUCA or does Amex not do that?

What SUB offer did you apply for originally? 

Message 2 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

AMEX will not give you a sub that was not out when you got approved.  Never heard of a case of the doing so although suppose I could be wrong and could be a first but always heard it is a firm NO

@FinStar it would of been no bonus as BBP usually doesn't have a sub

Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

AMEX will not give you a sub that was not out when you got approved.  Never heard of a case of the doing so although suppose I could be wrong and could be a first but always heard it is a firm NO

This OP - AMEX is pretty strict on that policy, sorry.

I just read/saw the BBP 10K MRs (Limited Time Offer) for $3K spend.

Message 4 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

This OP - AMEX is pretty strict on that policy, sorry.

I just read/saw the BBP 10K MRs (Limited Time Offer) for $3K spend.

There's another for 20k for $5k spend as well that's supposedly good til 12/31/18.

Message 5 of 11
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I see. I'd tried to retroactively add the 20K as well, but I guess I've just missed out on both of them...

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

From everything I've read here and at Doctor of Credit's website, Amex does not match sign up bonuses but I've had mixed results with my own requests.

I opened my PRG when the SUB was 25K MR points; about two weeks later I noticed that the public offer was temporarily increased to 50K MR points so I called them up and asked them to match.  Without hesitation the CSR said that he would increase my bonus to 50K because I had been an Amex member since 1995. I didn't believe it since I wasn't given a confirmation number so I hopped on Secure Chat and asked another CSR who verified that a note had been placed in my account increase the SUB to 50K; as soon as I completed the required spend it was added to my account.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 4.26.32 AM.png

Then when I opened my EveryDay card the SUB was 10K and subsequently increased to 25K.  I called and asked for the increased SUB and was declined.  I then tried Secure Chat and it was also declined.  The rep on Secure Chat told me that because I had completed the required spend so quickly after opening the card, the original SUB was already hard coded to my account and couldn't be changed.

My suggestion is that if you want the increased SUB badly enough; try calling several times and see if you find a CSR who might be willing to change it for you.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for my AMEX, I clicked on an offer/ ad on one of those credit card promoting websites with no AF. I didn't know it at the time, but I was redirected to a different offer with the cash bonus instead. I later called only to find out I was going to be charged the AF any day now. Rep refused to wave it because it was not coded or whatever at sign up. 3 calls and several months later I decided to cut my losses and PC. After that I got a letter; they conveniently told me it was their error and they would wave the fee to a card I no longer had.
Long story short, if they wouldn't change the SUB when they were pretty much at fault, I don't see any circumstance in which they would unless the EO gets involved.
Message 8 of 11
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Huh. I’ll try to HUCA just to see if I can get anywhere, but I’m definitely not getting my hopes up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

[2/2019]
Message 9 of 11
arkane
Established Contributor

OP would you mind resizing the card pics in your siggy? They seem to be showing up full size on my desktop browser.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.