Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned To 5% Chase Freedom

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Returned To 5% Chase Freedom

Funny thing happend to me on the way to making UR plans that many Chase folks have been reaping in for years.

5/24 showed up and ruined things.

In this business TIMING is everything and that couldn't have come along at the worse time.

I like to space out application sprees within a 90 day period and done. I already had the CSP and landed the Freedom shortly thereafter a couple of years ago.

Since Chase notoriously Double-Pulls me for cards there was no way i was going to let them do it again just for a CLI which the Freedom badly needed ($3K) so i closed it after a year and moved the limit over to the CSP.

I thought all was set to pick up a couple of new Chase cards and commence the UR process with a now better limit CSP and so on and so forth.

But enter Chase's 5/24 plan and by then i was well already beyond that.

Simply put i been stuck with the CSP alone with no connecting card because of 5/24, so the other day i requested and was approved for a PC back to the 5% Freedom once again only this time with a much better limit. Also eliminated the AF at the same time.

Yeah i know it only sports a quarterly 1.5K cap anymore and occasionaly overlaps Discover, but the way i see it at least it is another 5% rotating category card from a lender where my internal score has only improved over time with decent history etc.

I am satisfied with going this route and later on in the future and at any time thereafter maybe it will be simple to grab a CSR or even another CSP again.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Returned To 5% Chase Freedom

1% plus occasional 5% has consistently delivered more for me than using a quicksilver or other 2% card nearly full time. If you not spending enough to eat up that annual fee it's a no-brainer to go back
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also getting that you're going to have to wait up to you 23 months to get a new Chase card. Are you married? do you have close family with good credit you possibly can share an account for a while? I think racking up travel points for someone who never goes anywhere can be seen as a gift
Message 3 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm also getting that you're going to have to wait up to you 23 months to get a new Chase card. Are you married? do you have close family with good credit you possibly can share an account for a while? I think racking up travel points for someone who never goes anywhere can be seen as a gift

As useful as Chase Cards can be and have been for many, i had to steer away from them early in order to build the profile with other top lenders first and it was my best decision ever.

What i've missed with Chase Cards so far. i have more than made up for with an even stronger eye to the future and better positioned.

Chase can do what they will with that 5/24 but there ARE competitors who gladly accept all the business missed with that stupid rule.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you check under "offers" while logged in on the website? I am beyond 5/24 but I am prequalified for the CSP and FU under offers due to my "existing relationship"
Message 5 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you check under "offers" while logged in on the website? I am beyond 5/24 but I am prequalified for the CSP and FU under offers due to my "existing relationship"

I had a very successful spree last summer and there's still some more months to go before even considering a new account.

The way it is with what Chase is chosen to do it will just be a back burner account with the Freedom 5% Card for various categories as they crop up from time to time.

Plenty of other more Dynamic Lenders are foremost in any plans going forward and that's ok from this end.

They won't miss anything.

Message 6 of 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

The Chase Freedom does not offer much value alone, and out of the 5% rewards. I had 3 of such Freedom cards, then closed one to get the Unlimited. Still a decent CC.

Message 7 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The Chase Freedom does not offer much value alone, and out of the 5% rewards. I had 3 of such Freedom cards, then closed one to get the Unlimited. Still a decent CC.

The CSP didn't offer much for me alone either.

I won't do double pulls anymore for them or Citi for CLI's. It's both ludicrous and senseless IMO.

It was useful at first then along came that insidious 5/24.

I think i'm done playing chase the points with Chase because of that and because other cards in camp work just fine as a replacement.

Message 8 of 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I just work out of the Chase group, and the BofA group. Nothing to do with Capital One, US Bank etc. Discover and AmEx are niche for me now. 

I may only want to add Chase Ink. But I can go without it. From now on, I may just apply one CC a year to get nice CC with good bonus, to swap out my under-performing card. I opened 9 new CCs over the last 6 months, 3 with Chase. Now I'm in dormant stage.

Message 9 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Where is the "Offers" link located?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.