Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolvers increasing your spending?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Revolvers increasing your spending?

I've never liked revolvers (go for cards where you KNOW the bonus categories!) but as I have the Freedom, I've found myself thinking "How can I max out this category this quarter?"  

Intellectually, I know that saving 5% on a unnnecessary purchase is more like a 100% loss than a 5% gain, but it's sort of tempting to me.   I don't feel this way on my other cards, even those that have quarterly goals, oops mean caps, on spending like Cash Plus.  I suspect it's because of the time limited nature of the category, spend even if you don't need to!

Do others feel the same?  Or are you more in control!

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Revolvers increasing your spending?

I probably did that a little bit last quarter with my Discover card. I did a lot of shopping online for things that I'll need in the not-too-distant, and somewhat distant future in order to take advantage of the 5% then. I also bought some things that were "nice to haves".

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 43
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

The sad part is even a single purchase that you don't need due to fear of loss of a great deal can negate all of your MR or cashback rewards.  I personally will not be failing for that trap.  Spending $100 on things you don't need to get $3.50 back is silly. 

Lately I've been spending way too much time on this site and too much time to understand the ins and outs of the CC world.  After ten years away I'm getting back to understanding what works. 

One aspect that has proven to be most costly is TIME.  The time spent on trying to save money and time spent on trying to line up the right revolvers for rewards are lost time that could be spent elsewhere more profitably.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 3 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Do others feel the same?  Or are you more in control!

Ah, just went to get coffee at Startucks with my Freedom.  And, I'm not even thirsty, and need to wake up early!

Message 4 of 43
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

I am an over spender in general Smiley Sad

I've never had a BK, CO, or bad debt... But I am great at digging a hole for myself and then having to use a bonus or tax refund to eliminate it. 

I don't have a lot of the prime rewards cards yet and I'm not apping for any new cards for quite some time.  I am going to take my spending habbits and control them, not let them control me!

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 5 of 43
Plasticard
New Contributor

I agree spending is very easy and saving is hard. I find curbing spending is much easier when you make a spreadsheet of all your credit cards and monthly expenses. This way you can actually see how much you are spending each month with real numbers. After seeing these numbers and seeing what "play" money I have left, helps to put purchases into perspective. 

Message 6 of 43
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

The sad part is even a single purchase that you don't need due to fear of loss of a great deal can negate all of your MR or cashback rewards.  I personally will not be failing for that trap.  Spending $100 on things you don't need to get $3.50 back is silly. 

This is 100% true! It is no wonder my friend, who is an organizational psychologist is recruited heavily by businesses, particularly the credit card companies.  I went from debit a year ago to now using credit exclusivley for the last two months. I can honestly say that I subconciously spend more with my credit card than I ever did with debit - even though I PIF with my credit cards. 

Message 7 of 43
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Call it self control or whatever, but I never over spend. I have always been a saver I remember being a little kid and getting birthday checks and I didn't want to spend the money at Toy's R Us. To this day I will NEVER put something on a CC I can't pay off even if I have a new card with 0% APR. I look at credit cards like debit cards but with better rewards. I refuse to keep less than a particular amount of money  in liquid just becuase I like knowing "its their". I have had my banker complain but its just the way I am. My investments are fine, let me be lol.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 8 of 43
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

This is 100% true! It is no wonder my friend, who is an organizational psychologist is recruited heavily by businesses, particularly the credit card companies.  I went from debit a year ago to now using credit exclusivley for the last two months. I can honestly say that I subconciously spend more with my credit card than I ever did with debit - even though I PIF with my credit cards. 

I remember reading a study or something somewhere that if people go into a store with cash they're likely to spend less than if they go in with a debit / credit card. For some reason, it's easier to hand over a card than it is to physically hand over cash. It seems silly,  but I can see where it makes sense... and I try to keep it in mind now when I make purchases.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 9 of 43
hilarybanks
Valued Member

I have to watch it when using plastic, whether debit or credit. I know that I use less when paying with cash; however, since all of my bills are paid online, I might as well be getting rewards for swiping. I have just learned to wait until the cash is in the bank to pay off the card immediately before charging things like monthly bills and groceries.

Barclay Visa Fin $1500 | Wal-Mart Discover $2000 | AmEx BCE $3000 | Target $3000 | Slate Visa $4800 | Hyatt Visa $5000

Last App: 3/16/2014 (Current FICO 740 per 4/07/14 Barclay FICO)
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.