cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards Card Recommendations

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Contributor

Rewards Card Recommendations

I'm looking for a good card that has a high rate of rewards be it points that convert to cash or cash back... don't mind the anual fee as long as the returns offsets it.

 

Would like the cash back or rewards to apply for gas, groceries, electronics and restaurants purchases.  Might need two though...

 

Not looking for a travel rewards since I don't plan to be traveling heavily at the moment, probabaly in the future.

 

Current rewards cards are Discover IT and Chase Freedom.

 

Scores are in the 720s for all the bureaus and might hit 730s with the new approved credit line.

 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred looks tempting but not sure if it's widely accepted here or if Puerto Rico grocery stores count as US  ones... we're in a grey area given status.

EQ FICO - 727
TU FICO - 720
EX FICO 721
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Regular Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations

I second the Amex if the rewards apply to you and Amex is accepted there. I am in the US and have problems at least half the time I have tried to use it!
Might want to look at the Citi Double Cash or something like Capital One QS with a good little bonus after a small spend.
Message 2 of 13
Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@Vizion wrote:
I second the Amex if the rewards apply to you and Amex is accepted there. I am in the US and have problems at least half the time I have tried to use it!
Might want to look at the Citi Double Cash or something like Capital One QS with a good little bonus after a small spend.

Most of the time the same applies here...just trying to recall if the groceries have the AMEX logo which usually means accepted. idk if the $95 would be offset for me now that I think of it.  usually spend around $130 every 2wks or so in groceries and this is just myself. 

 

Other two I've looking at are BoA Cash Rewards Visa and First Tech CU Choice Rewards MC.  I've just applied and approved for BoA 21mo BT card, could I use the same CP to apply for the Rewards? Both are similar...

 

I've received Double Cash prequal offers but been putting it off. Have to check how it works and weigh it out.

EQ FICO - 727
TU FICO - 720
EX FICO 721
Message 3 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@alexvale wrote:

@Vizion wrote:
I second the Amex if the rewards apply to you and Amex is accepted there. I am in the US and have problems at least half the time I have tried to use it!
Might want to look at the Citi Double Cash or something like Capital One QS with a good little bonus after a small spend.

Most of the time the same applies here...just trying to recall if the groceries have the AMEX logo which usually means accepted. idk if the $95 would be offset for me now that I think of it.  usually spend around $130 every 2wks or so in groceries and this is just myself. 

 

Other two I've looking at are BoA Cash Rewards Visa and First Tech CU Choice Rewards MC.  I've just applied and approved for BoA 21mo BT card, could I use the same CP to apply for the Rewards? Both are similar...

 

I've received Double Cash prequal offers but been putting it off. Have to check how it works and weigh it out.


I think the $95 would be offset. I was looking into the Amex BCP to replace Sallie Mae after it changes to just 2% groceries and I found that the cutoff was ~$60 a week in grocery spending to make it better than a 3% grocery card. If you also put gas on it (at 3%, $25 a week), you'd only need ~$48 in grocery spend a week for it.

Your situation is unique though. Would definitely want to know if they accept Amex and Amex counts your local stores as grocery stores.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations

As much as I like the Amex BCP. IME it's not accepted at many of the mom and pop type grocery stores. The BofA Cash rewards could be your best option for both gas and groceries. We like the Citi DC as well. It's straight forward and the rewards post two days after due date. In your location, I'd stick with Visa/MasterCard. FNBO is offering a 2% cash back card till Dec 28. FNBO pulls EQ on this card and Citi pulls EX.
Message 5 of 13
Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@barthooper wrote:

@alexvale wrote:

@Vizion wrote:
I second the Amex if the rewards apply to you and Amex is accepted there. I am in the US and have problems at least half the time I have tried to use it!
Might want to look at the Citi Double Cash or something like Capital One QS with a good little bonus after a small spend.

Most of the time the same applies here...just trying to recall if the groceries have the AMEX logo which usually means accepted. idk if the $95 would be offset for me now that I think of it.  usually spend around $130 every 2wks or so in groceries and this is just myself. 

 

Other two I've looking at are BoA Cash Rewards Visa and First Tech CU Choice Rewards MC.  I've just applied and approved for BoA 21mo BT card, could I use the same CP to apply for the Rewards? Both are similar...

 

I've received Double Cash prequal offers but been putting it off. Have to check how it works and weigh it out.


I think the $95 would be offset. I was looking into the Amex BCP to replace Sallie Mae after it changes to just 2% groceries and I found that the cutoff was ~$60 a week in grocery spending to make it better than a 3% grocery card. If you also put gas on it (at 3%, $25 a week), you'd only need ~$48 in grocery spend a week for it.

Your situation is unique though. Would definitely want to know if they accept Amex and Amex counts your local stores as grocery stores.


Just checked and the only card that I have right now that classifies the merchant is Discover IT and the supermarkets here are classified as such.  Well, at least the one I frequent the most.  I'd have to contact AMEX CSR to see if they can clarify whether or not PR supermakets qualify for the 6% rewards... their intro offer seems pretty nice as well.

 

It's the highest I've been able to find, 6% groceries and 3% gas.

 

Checked the terms and conditions for the card and some stuff apply to PR like the roadside assistance and return protection but in the supermarkets it says US ones and doesn't extend to HI, AK or PR like they did for the other perks...Maybe they meant continental US.

 

What are other card options out there?

EQ FICO - 727
TU FICO - 720
EX FICO 721
Message 6 of 13
Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@Gmood1 wrote:
As much as I like the Amex BCP. IME it's not accepted at many of the mom and pop type grocery stores. The BofA Cash rewards could be your best option for both gas and groceries. We like the Citi DC as well. It's straight forward and the rewards post two days after due date. In your location, I'd stick with Visa/MasterCard. FNBO is offering a 2% cash back card till Dec 28. FNBO pulls EQ on this card and Citi pulls EX.

Thanks! Thought as much... you can add Discover to the mix of cards for PR.  I've never had an issue paying for something here.  My current mix is MC/Visa/Discover, AMEX would've been a nice addition but it's a bit of a risk to apply for it and not be able to use as frequently as I'd like.

 

Might go with BoA Cash Rewards and speak with a Credit Analyst to see if they can use the same CP from last week for this new app.  But I'd like to explore other others and see if there's a better offering that also include restaurants as I tend to eat out 1-3xs a week depending on my mood and willingness to cook lol

EQ FICO - 727
TU FICO - 720
EX FICO 721
Message 7 of 13
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations

Lol..I gotcha. From a recent app with BofA, they used the same pull for several requests. You can call to make sure though. I received only one pull on the credit requests.
The Marvel card offers 3% statement credit on restaurants and they pull TU.
The Chase AARP is another option. http://www.aarpcreditcard.com
If apping Chase, I'd use the pull and grab two cards if another one suits your needs.

That way you have the option down the road to move limits where you use them most without burning HPs on CLI request.

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@Gmood1 wrote:

Lol..I gotcha. From a recent app with BofA, they used the same pull for several requests. You can call to make sure though. I received only one pull on the credit requests.
The Marvel card offers 3% statement credit on restaurants and they pull TU.
The Chase AARP is another option. http://www.aarpcreditcard.com
If apping Chase, I'd use the pull and grab two cards if another one suits your needs.

That way you have the option down the road to move limits where you use them most without burning HPs on CLI request.


You did those BoA apps online? might be easier and quicker...  I'd have to check the Marvel card, but I shouldn't... huge nerd hahaha

 

Chase AARP looks good with the 3% on gas and restaurants.  Could compliment with BoA if they approve them. Already have Freedom, like I mention in my inital post, would have to see what other cards would be worth it.

EQ FICO - 727
TU FICO - 720
EX FICO 721
Message 9 of 13
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Rewards Card Recommendations


@alexvale wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Lol..I gotcha. From a recent app with BofA, they used the same pull for several requests. You can call to make sure though. I received only one pull on the credit requests.
The Marvel card offers 3% statement credit on restaurants and they pull TU.
The Chase AARP is another option. http://www.aarpcreditcard.com
If apping Chase, I'd use the pull and grab two cards if another one suits your needs.

That way you have the option down the road to move limits where you use them most without burning HPs on CLI request.


You did those BoA apps online? might be easier and quicker...  I'd have to check the Marvel card, but I shouldn't... huge nerd hahaha

 

Chase AARP looks good with the 3% on gas and restaurants.  Could compliment with BoA if they approve them. Already have Freedom, like I mention in my inital post, would have to see what other cards would be worth it.


Yes, I did all of them online. I requested two CLI's and apped for a card on one EX pull.  I know what you mean on the Marvel. I resisted for months and finally caved in last week. Lol

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.