AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Right Back At You Discover

Good to know K. ThanksSmiley Wink
Message 11 of 25
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

There are people that do not want their limits to increase. So, declining an increase just risks putting you into that group of people.

I haven't seen ANY indication that declining an increase will get you a bigger increase than if you take the increase and then take the next increase. With Discover, just request one every month and take what they give you. Its best to use the card every month, and if you occasinally use it for a large amount, like $1000 in a month, so much the better.

I went from $2000 to $54,500 in 4.5 years. Just request one every month (since its a SP) and accept everything they are willing to give.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 25
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Now that my TU is clean and my score is higher than it's been for some time I'd gladly take a HP to try to get it higher--but the last time I tried a couple of years ago I was told they're ALL SP ONLY now---pretty much like Cap. One.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 13 of 25
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@AJC    "Nobody "wants" a paltry $500 increase"

Speak for yourself Joe ;p  My 2 10+ year old Cap1 cards havnt budged in years

Good luck OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 14 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, Mean Machine, meet Sarca, Sarca meet Mean MachineSmiley Happy

Hey Cap One, how about giving some luv huh? Smiley Wink
Message 15 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

I'd consider next time just "X"ing out of the window instead of outright denying/cancelling a CLI from any lender. That may look weird to them and could possibly hurt future CLI's. 

I completely get not wanting it and accepting a dog CLI and having to wait 6 months. Often times if you request it a few weeks/month later they will give you a larger one than what they originally were going to give. 

Food for thought! 

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this. I don't recall what CC I was applying for a CLI, but I do recall seeing that if I didn't decline the increase, it would be treated as an acceptance -- some words to that effect.

Hope someone else chime in with whether they have seen anything like this.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired

You are correct and it is for Discover.

The last CLI I did, I tried to cancel...to no avail. Cancel button was broke. Back button, alt-ctr-del, didn't matter I was getting it anyway at that point...hit continue, haha. But mine was for a paltry $6000.
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Credit- hoarder , what do mean they dont hp anymore for cli increase? I havenr seen much if any post concerning that. Its just the vast majority of us here dont want o use a hp when we can get the increasrs by sp but thats interesting. I was seriously considering being guinea pig by seeing if they would hp my Ex to get a bigger cli but wasnt sure on it. Thanks for any tidbits of infoSmiley Wink

(Not having an identity crisis. I'm not hoarder but thought I'd comment anyway.)  I called immediately after my last measly $500 which was like 6 months ago and spoke to someone in lending who really didn't seem to want to talk to me.  (My experience with bank analysts:  BOA is like chatting with an old friend, Chase is like an IRS audit gone wrong, and Discover is the girl who's really annoyed that you haven't picked up on the fact that she's just not interested.)  I volunteered to take a HP since I'd actually utilize a $25-30k line and he wouldn't even proceed, just told me to use the website or call in to ask again in a month.

Okay, just have to say that your comments on the different banks made me laugh. 

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has rejected a CLI due to the amount?

I hit the CLI button on Discover and it came back instantly approved for $500.  Current CL is $9500.  I hit the cancel button.  My goal was to get it up around $15k. The last auto CLI was $3000.  I like the ease of using their website and it's features.  The APR isn't bad either.  I would have liked to make it one of my go to cards but I need the higher CL to do that.  Anyway I cancelled the CLI.  A few days later they sent a letter stating I cancelled the increase etc.  

Now before anyone goes ballistic I appreciate CLI's but they need to be something I can work with. With my speding habits $500 just wasn't going to work for me.  I know it may be good for others. I generally don't request CLI's unless I have a need or a plan.  I rarely click just for the heck of it. I usually let them auto increase or make do with whatever it is at the time.

Do you think if will affect future auto CLI's? Right now I don't need the increase as I can use other higher limit cards but I was wondering how they or others might react to reversing their paltry CLI's  right back at them?

River, 

I don't think declining a CLI will negatively impact your chances for another increase because that's why the option to decline is there.

Now, what you could have done (double dipping) -- and I suggest doing so the next time you are given a paltry $500 instant increase -- is to immediately call and ask Disco if they would increase it with the same SP. In order for this to work, the CLI must be instant, as your increase was. That's what I did back in June. I got a $500 instant CLI and called Disco. Within a matter of seconds, he said they could give me another $500 with the SP. Now granted that's only a $1k CLI -- less than what you were seeking -- but I was a happy camper. So next time, try double dipping. GL.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-IT-CLI-I-m-a-happy-Camper/m-p/4983134#M494823

This is a good idea.  I guess I was shocked since the first auto CLI they gave me several months ago was about $3600 so the $500 threw me for a loop. Thanks

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

$500 CLIs are very common with Discover, even for people with higher limits than what you have.  Typically right now with Discover you aren't going to make huge jumps in limits but even if you're only getting $500 at a time and and a occasional bigger CLI, your limit can go up quickly over time. Personally I think you should have accepted the CLI and asked again in 3 months.  Also if you 'need' a big increase right now, call them up and have them do a HP and see what you can get.

I will hold off for now as two of my other cards gave significant limits that I can work with.  I just like Discover for some reason.  I'll sock drawer it for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.