tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Ritz Carlton Approval

@SuperKirby wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I will mainly use it for rental cars and Marriott/Ritz stays.

Marriott points seem to have some value if use correctly. I am seeing locations where the points are worth over 1 cent each. Not too bad.

Save the Marriott points for the packages! Worth WAY more than 1 CPP! Smiley Happy

Link? Or are you able to explain? Are they flight and hotel packages?

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Yes, you get miles for redeeming large packages. It's a great deal if you stay at Marriott/Ritz a lot since the points add up quick! 

Oh nice. Thanks.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 66
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

As much as I would love this card, I can't justify the $395 AF for my personal use. Especially since RC/Marriott is not the hotel brand I usually stay at. If possible I would love to see some pics of the packaging! I love when cards get the proper package experience. 

I'll take a picture of it for you Smiley Happy

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 22 of 66
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

As much as I would love this card, I can't justify the $395 AF for my personal use. Especially since RC/Marriott is not the hotel brand I usually stay at. If possible I would love to see some pics of the packaging! I love when cards get the proper package experience. 

+1, except Marriott is actually my top hotel I stay (i prefer Hyatt but their footprint sucks) at but I refuse to add another card to my wallet until I cancel one of them. Not ready to do it just yet...

Edited to Add: I see it as a $195 card though ($200 airline credit), not $395 if you want to justify it that way...

Message 23 of 66
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I will mainly use it for rental cars and Marriott/Ritz stays.

Marriott points seem to have some value if use correctly. I am seeing locations where the points are worth over 1 cent each. Not too bad.

Save the Marriott points for the packages! Worth WAY more than 1 CPP! Smiley Happy

Link? Or are you able to explain? Are they flight and hotel packages?

+1. The travel packages (miles + hotel) are definitely the way to go. The only drawback is that you need a lot of them - 270k-540k points per package.

I've squeezed out 1.5 cpp during the US 50% transfer bonus. 300k Ritz/Marriott points got me 7 nights in a Cat6 hotel plus 180k US miles.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 24 of 66
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

+1, except Marriott is actually my top hotel I stay (i prefer Hyatt but their footprint sucks) at but I refuse to add another card to my wallet until I cancel one of them. Not ready to do it just yet...

Edited to Add: I see it as a $195 card though ($200 airline credit), not $395 if you want to justify it that way...

I don't think Hyatt's footprint is that bad really, as long as you stick to major cities. If you have to go to nowhereville with any regularity, then it'll be a bit more difficult.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 66
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Could you use the $200 to upgrade to first class or pay for part of it at least...
What types of things could one spend $200 on a plane? Lol... Old wine?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 66
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Could you use the $200 to upgrade to first class or pay for part of it at least...
What types of things could one spend $200 on a plane? Lol... Old wine?

Lots of things can cost money on a flight. The wording of the T&C states that it's essentially for non-airfare purchases.

Baggage fees, ticketing fees, change fees, pre-ordered meals, in-flight entertainment (sometimes), in-flight drinks, paid E+ upgrades (sometimes) can work. One guy even redeemed his credit against the cost of sending his dog on a flight as cargo.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 27 of 66
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm if First class upgrAdes could be included, a $395 AF might just be worth it:-p
Esp if I get a phat credit line... Lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 28 of 66
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

I don't think Hyatt's footprint is that bad really, as long as you stick to major cities. If you have to go to nowhereville with any regularity, then it'll be a bit more difficult.

You're right, the footprint isn't really that bad if one visits a major city however, I was being very picky. I like the hotel location to be exactly where I want it in a major city. i.e. there is no Hyatt in South Beach, but there is a Marriott and an IHG property. When I visit Miami, I want to stay in SoBe, not downtown Miami.

Message 29 of 66
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

You're right, the footprint isn't really that bad if one visits a major city however, I was being very picky. I like the hotel location to be exactly where I want it in a major city. i.e. there is no Hyatt in South Beach, but there is a Marriott and an IHG property. When I visit Miami, I want to stay in SoBe, not downtown Miami.

That's true. If you're looking for something very specific within a city, then it can get more difficult.

That's one of my major issues with Hyatt in Asia. 3 properties across Tokyo (HR & PH in Shinjuku, GH in Roppongi), but none in Tokyo Bay near Disneyland! The only things out there are a Sheraton and a Hilton Smiley Sad

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 30 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.