Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton Rewards Surprise, AF refunded

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ritz Carlton Rewards Surprise, AF refunded

When did you get the gift cards? I need to use my travel credit.

Message 11 of 137
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When did you get the gift cards? I need to use my travel credit.

I don't know if that would still work now, but Southwest Airlines is now a big no no, though those worked for me. It was probably more convincing too because I already had the Southwest Airlines card before. Anything that Chase directly works with I'd avoid getting gift cards on. I also did Delta back in December and those worked perfectly with no issues.

I'd say if you're gonna do the airline gift cards, Delta and American Airlines would be your best bet if you don't want the Chase bear to come after you.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 137
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@elim wrote:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

plus you got the 300 credit?   and the 140k?

Yes I did. I keep forgetting to call Ritz so I can have those 140k points converted to SW airline miles. I also still have the gift cards for Delta and Southwest Airlines so that's where the $300 credit went. 

Unless those 50k miles are gonna go to a companion pass I would suggest NOT converting. 140k marriott points can be worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than 50k SW miles. 

Message 13 of 137
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@elim wrote:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Yes I did. I keep forgetting to call Ritz so I can have those 140k points converted to SW airline miles. I also still have the gift cards for Delta and Southwest Airlines so that's where the $300 credit went. 

Unless those 50k miles are gonna go to a companion pass I would suggest NOT converting. 140k marriott points can be worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than 50k SW miles. 

Can you tell me more about the companion pass? I had like 26k miles on my Rapid Rewards account because I met the bonus on my now closed SW Airlines Plus card.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 137
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@elim wrote:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Can you tell me more about the companion pass? I had like 26k miles on my Rapid Rewards account because I met the bonus on my now closed SW Airlines Plus card.

Once you earn 110,000 RR points in a year, you get a companion pass good until dec 31st of the following year (in this case, dec 31 of 2016). ANY flight you book on SW (whether a revenue fare, or an award flight) can have a companion added onto it. You can change your companion 3 times while having it, so it's best for a wife or children or something. Can't be switching your companion willy nilly. 

But if you're not gonna earn 110,000 points, use those marriott points for hotel stays. Can be worth a couple thousand dollars that way, maybe even more. 50k miles (when not used towards a companion pass) will never be worth that much. 

Message 15 of 137
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Alright. I called JP Morgan to have the check mailed out. The rep theorized that the reason I may have gotten the AF back was because of how I moved a lot of the CL over to the CSP so there wasn't as much of a reason for them to be charging the AF at all now on a lower CL so that's what might have triggered the refund. I had also already paid the account down to 0 before moving any credit over.. And I'm keeping my account open beyond the first year if that remains to be the case. 

Message 16 of 137
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Alright. I called JP Morgan to have the check mailed out. The rep theorized that the reason I may have gotten the AF back was because of how I moved a lot of the CL over to the CSP so there wasn't as much of a reason for them to be charging the AF at all now on a lower CL so that's what might have triggered the refund. I had also already paid the account down to 0 before moving any credit over.. And I'm keeping my account open beyond the first year if that remains to be the case. 

Brb, moving limits.

Message 17 of 137
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Brb, moving limits.

Lol. Good luck with that. I thought you said before you didn't want more ARs. 

I left mine at $1k.

Message 18 of 137
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Brb, moving limits.

Lol. Good luck with that. I thought you said before you didn't want more ARs. 

I left mine at $1k.

Yeah...

I know. Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 137
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@elim wrote:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Once you earn 110,000 RR points in a year, you get a companion pass good until dec 31st of the following year (in this case, dec 31 of 2016). ANY flight you book on SW (whether a revenue fare, or an award flight) can have a companion added onto it. You can change your companion 3 times while having it, so it's best for a wife or children or something. Can't be switching your companion willy nilly. 

But if you're not gonna earn 110,000 points, use those marriott points for hotel stays. Can be worth a couple thousand dollars that way, maybe even more. 50k miles (when not used towards a companion pass) will never be worth that much. 

I've met my CSP bonus so with that and the AU bonus, I've earned around 45k in UR points that have not been credited yet and I already know I've gotten some more from doing the same thing on Freedom. So that's 50k possible UR points and more and if they upgrade me to the $200 UR point offer, I'll probably have over 60k points I can do a 1 to 1 transfer on. I still have like 9000 points left in my Rapid Rewards account. 60k + 50k + 9k would get me to around 119k Rapid Rewards points after doing all of that.

But I like what you're saying with the other suggestion. It really does seem like I can get a lot more out of using the points for Mariott stays. I'm gonna go with that option instead. I'm gonna look into that more.

Message 20 of 137
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.