cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rookie mistake to watch out for - BT to stay under threshold, forgot the BT fee %

tag
BM3
Regular Contributor

Rookie mistake to watch out for - BT to stay under threshold, forgot the BT fee %

So now I actually have to pony up real cash to cancel out the 3% and get under the threshold i wanted. So stupid =/

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Rookie mistake to watch out for - BT to stay under threshold, forgot the BT fee %

Thanks for sharing. It is indeed good advice to know about.

I’ve near-maxed a number of large BT limits back in the day. The high utilization is bad for scores, but can be good for saving interest cost, if borrowing is necessary.

How much is your BT? What is your intended pay down rate?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Rookie mistake to watch out for - BT to stay under threshold, forgot the BT fee %

I have utilized BT deals to save money, yes I take a score hit but it bounces back and I save money in the end.

While scores are important I think we sometimes focus more on what FICO is going to do, then our financial well-being .
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:
I have utilized BT deals to save money, yes I take a score hit but it bounces back and I save money in the end.

While scores are important I think we sometimes focus more on what FICO is going to do, then our financial well-being .

AZEO all the time being exhibit A for this!

Message 4 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Jnbmom +1  There was a time when I was just as you described.   Once I bought my house I started to care a lot less about what my score was doing.  As long as I'm above 700 I'm good as I know that's high enough for me to qualify for decent financing on a car.   The rest of what goes on is pointless to me as I have no intentions on buying anything else that I'll need an optimized score for.  

If for some reason there's a card that comes out that I somehow get declined for, well that's just a reminder that I have too many to begin with and another one isn't necessary.  

Message 5 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Loquat 

That was me and now am I as you described , my scores are above 700,  and I have more lines than I will ever use. We had a few purchases and expenses that have came up and we are just using some nice BT deals and saving a little money. Yes our utilizations may take a hit individually , but we keep overall under 8.9%, so I am okay with it if it can save some money.

Funny just this week I found myself not checking my scoring sites as I normally do 😊

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP Unless you plan to app for a new product between now and then, I wouldn't rush into anything for only 3%. Your score will bounce back when it reaches that threshold naturally. 

Message 7 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@BM3 wrote:

So now I actually have to pony up real cash to cancel out the 3% and get under the threshold i wanted. So stupid =/

Thanks for sharing your learning experience with others on the forums.  Admitting our mistakes and learning experiences is as much or more important than sharing our victories. 

I spent years doing the BT thing and yeah, you've always got to factor in a buffer to keep yourself below the 100% CL when everything posts.  I usually tried to leave a little additional buffer on top of what should be necessary when I had to use most of a credit limit. 

Good tip.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I max out new cards, not on BTs but with purchases. I've taken a 40 pt drop on maxouts, but don't care what it does to my score. I still end up near 800 anyway while taking advantage of my full line.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.