Did you mean: 

Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

I hope this is true.

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

Message 1 of 115
114 REPLIES 114
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

This is interesting.  I would upgrade to Plat. if they would at least offer a similar reward structure to PRG.  I never understood why they didnt do this.  I think that, along with a more flexible travel credit and they would have a home run.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 2 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting.  Been obvious for awhile that Amex needs to offer a better high end travel card that earns points at a better rate than 1X per dollar spent for the Platinum.  The Prestige and now the CSR offers far better incentives to use the card after the bonus.  Too many people get the card and then hardly use it after reaching any bonus spend requirement.  I'm sure the dilemma for them will be deciding whether to just improve the Platinum or introduce a brand new card.  If they do the latter then it would seem to me that the Platinum would die out because there wouldn't be a need for both cards. 

Message 3 of 115
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I hope they improve the existing Platinum.

I'd like to see some/all of:

1. At least one free guest at Delta SkyClubs

2. Travel insurance to rival Prestige/CSR/CSP

3. Allowing broader travel expenses for the $200 credit (with MPX, it's just become a circus that no one really wins in)

4. Bonus categories

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 115
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I hope they improve the existing Platinum.

I'd like to see some/all of:

1. At least one free guest at Delta SkyClubs

2. Travel insurance to rival Prestige/CSR/CSP

3. Allowing broader travel expenses for the $200 credit (with MPX, it's just become a circus that no one really wins in)

4. Bonus categories

I'd rather there be a new card. New bonus.

Message 5 of 115
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@JustBPatient wrote:

This is interesting.  I would upgrade to Plat. if they would at least offer a similar reward structure to PRG.  I never understood why they didnt do this.  I think that, along with a more flexible travel credit and they would have a home run.

From what I understand people got AmEx platinum card because of the benefits rather than their reward structure. Once upon a time AmEx had benefits which no one matched (dedicated line, tickets to events, entry to publicaly sold out shows, restaurants hard to get in without months of advance reservations, etc). They assumed no one can match up their line of benefits and just didn't bother. So when Prestige & now CSR did come out with all the benefits Plat feels like an inferior card to have. I don't think the people I know who have it use it for collecting MR. They just use for the benefits. 

May be it is a good thing that Citi & Chase did come out with their cards. Even if AmEx does improve Plat, it will still have one disadvantage that other don't, it may remain a charge card. So who knows what AmEx is thinking at this point. 

Message 6 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, not cool.  I just apped and got the SPG card.  Smiley Sad  We'll see what happens.  Maybe we can PC the Platinum to the new card?  Depending on the benefits of the new card, that would be nice.  Then again, if the new card is a revolver and not a charge card.....  Damn.

Message 7 of 115
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting.  Been obvious for awhile that Amex needs to offer a better high end travel card that earns points at a better rate than 1X per dollar spent for the Platinum.  The Prestige and now the CSR offers far better incentives to use the card after the bonus.  Too many people get the card and then hardly use it after reaching any bonus spend requirement.  I'm sure the dilemma for them will be deciding whether to just improve the Platinum or introduce a brand new card.  If they do the latter then it would seem to me that the Platinum would die out because there wouldn't be a need for both cards. 

Yes,if the goal is to compete with CSR/Prestige, it's going to be hard to have a new card with matching benefits, while reserving some only for the Plat.   I guess something like Centurion Lounge access is only on the Plat, but not sure that would be enough

Message 8 of 115
sjt
Senior Contributor

I think it will be a new card with an identical design as the Amex Explorer Card that was launched in Australia.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/american-express-explorer-credit-card-review

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that's a nice-looking card.

Message 10 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.