cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: {Rumor} AMEX Green Refresh.

Interesting point on that bolded item - so what happens to the earning structure if folks potentially have the Chase Amazon Prime and SYNCB Amazon Prime or AmEx Amazon Prime Biz linked to the same Prime membership? 🤔
Message 71 of 528
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Interesting point on that bolded item - so what happens to the earning structure if folks potentially have the Chase Amazon Prime and SYNCB Amazon Prime or AmEx Amazon Prime Biz linked to the same Prime membership? 🤔

Cue "exploding head gif" here.

Message 72 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to keep their card as a Prime version, Amazon requires that you have the Chase card linked to the membership as the default card to be charged when it renews. The linked card is displayed on the prime membership page. This is different from the standard payment options list of cards.

Not sure how the others work.

Message 73 of 528
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In order to keep their card as a Prime version, Amazon requires that you have the Chase card linked to the membership as the default card to be charged when it renews. The linked card is displayed on the prime membership page. This is different from the standard payment options list of cards.

Not sure how the others work.

Thing is the AMEX Amazon Business card works the same way. You receive the full benefits of either 5% or 90 days financing on the purchases provided you have a Prime account whether that's personal or business. Admittedly, I don't know if they check if you have a Prime account at the time of application or if it is something that has to always be true otherwise they downgrade your card/account accordingly. Something I don't worry about since I plan to keep Prime for the foreseeable future but something to look into.

Message 74 of 528
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

You get Amazon Prime + Prime video (and 10 gigs of hotspot data) with Metro by T-Mobile prepaid. $60/month all inclusive. I have it. Metro runs on T-Mobile. I consistently get 50mbps+ (over 100mbps down at times) down and 35mbps up. It’s fast.....

There are other ways to get Prime. I’m not sure Amex Green is the best way. 

Message 75 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. My Prime Account has my Amex ED card as the payment option for membership renewal and it renewed in September. Just checked my latest Amazon Prime card statement from last week and my Amazon purchases received 5% back. 

Message 76 of 528
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Doctor of Credit has a (possible) update on this:

The speculation is that they are looking at the June/July timeframe. 

4x MRs on fuel, 3x MRs on streaming services, and a tie-in to Amazon Prime is still being discussed.

Link to article:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-to-refresh-green-card-4x-on-gas-3x-on-streamin...

Message 77 of 528
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

4x MRs on fuel, 3x MRs on streaming services, and a tie-in to Amazon Prime is still being discussed.

Link to article:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-to-refresh-green-card-4x-on-gas-3x-on-streamin...

Tempting on the fuel, but I prefer Costco fuel and Amex is is a no-go at their pumps. I will take the 3x MRs on streaming services, though. Thanks for the update, @UncleB

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 78 of 528
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Tempting on the fuel, but I prefer Costco fuel and Amex is is a no-go at their pumps. I will take the 3x MRs on streaming services, though. Thanks for the update, @UncleB

You're very welcome! Smiley Happy

Yeah, I agree it might be tempting/interesting for some people, but the only way it would get my attention is if they find a way to work-in Amazon Prime.  In that case it might be worth it depending on what the new annual fee is, of course.

I still find it curious that Amex doesn't have a personal card that offers an overall 3x points for travel, since the existing line-up conspicuously leaves out hotels (I don't count the Platinum 5x for pre-paid hotels since it's limited to amextravel.com bookings, and it's pre-paid).  I'm sure they have their reasons, though.

Message 79 of 528
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If the rumored earn rates are true, IMO still not a great product, although it's much better than what it is now. The problem is that gas is such a common bonus category that it's easy to do better elsewhere. Streaming, yes, it's an expense, but unless you are subscribing to many different services you won't be earning a ton of extra points.

The Prime perk would be cool, but if the card is otherwise not very useful, seems like it would just be a wash.

Message 80 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.