cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Green

Thank you for the link!

I had an amex card over 10 years ago.. platinum but job loss kinda caused me to default. Credit is of course back to good and I dont know if I am on their naughty list but to be honest, I really wasnt even thinking of getting a card again. So many cards now offer the same or better rewards for little to no annual fees so I just dont see it. I thought of gold though when they went metal and had rose gold but that fee was steep. Then I heard about the green being updated and it is making me reconsider.

Message 101 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get a strong feeling that the Green card will feature Prime membership.

When the rumor was announced, amex & amazon started doing business together. Paying for amazon purchases using MR points. And occasional "use even just 1 MR on a purchase and get $10-15 off."

Currently, a $30 off of $60+ purchase when using a MR point is going on...I think this is a good sign that the Green card is going to have some kind of Prime membership offered.
And with the updated rumored date of June/July...coincidence that such a large offer is going on currently?

I like to gamble a little here and there. I'd toss a few bucks at the Green card including Prime.

This is perfect timing for me, as my Prime membership renews late July.

[B]If anyone has Prime and is interested in the Green card, I HIGHLY recommend you check when your Prime membership renews. If it is soon, you may want to switch it to the monthly subscription for the time being. If your membership renews, you can't get a refund for the remainder.
I suspect the way the Green card will give membership is the way amex likes credits for things...you will have to have your Prime membership charged to the card and then you will receive a statement credit for it.[/B]
Message 102 of 528
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When the rumor was announced, amex & amazon started doing business together. Paying for amazon purchases using MR points. And occasional "use even just 1 MR on a purchase and get $10-15 off."

Currently, a $30 off of $60+ purchase when using a MR point is going on...I think this is a good sign that the Green card is going to have some kind of Prime membership offered.
And with the updated rumored date of June/July...coincidence that such a large offer is going on currently?

[/B]
First of all, Amazon and Amex have been working together for several years now and not just before the rumours started. They have offered several pay with MR points and discounts for paying with points in the last three years and these offers have zero correlation with the green card rumours.

If this is your basis for the rumour being legit, prepare to be disappointed and waiting for nothing. The fact that the original rumour started, because of "somebody" overhearing "somebody" with no real credibility is enough for me to say this isn't happening. There has been nothing solid and suppose original launch of March completely fizzled, with someone use specilating it might be later and no official leak.

Message 103 of 528
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Note also it's not like with the Gold and BCP that there was buzz for months before they were refreshed. It just kind of happened, perhaps with a week or two notice, that's about it. The Green has been discussed for months and nothing has happened. Not to say nothing ever will, but just seems odd that it would be so delayed.

Amex has long offered Amazon promotions so to me that means nothing in terms of a refresh.

Message 104 of 528
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

August is here soon and still nothing but rumors off of rumors....

I'm starting to think I have been waiting for nothing.  The green card is the least useful card I have and I had hoped for something exciting but alas, looks more and more like I'll just upgrade to the gold.

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 105 of 528
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Lucifer wrote:

August is here soon and still nothing but rumors off of rumors....

I'm starting to think I have been waiting for nothing.  The green card is the least useful card I have and I had hoped for something exciting but alas, looks more and more like I'll just upgrade to the gold.

I really doubt we will see any huge changes on the Green. The Green charges $95, the Gold $250. The Gold gives 4x on a couple categories and 3x on one. It stands to reason they aren't going to offer huge earning categories on the Green without increasing the AF significantly. We may see a 2x or 3x category added but that's about it. I would just upgrade to Gold if those categories align with your spend because I still think the Green is going to always be the "base level" charge card, and thus is probably never going to offer huge perks.

Message 106 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. As much as I dislike the new higher Gold AF, the Green isn't likely gonna be any kind of replacement even if they raise they AF.

I may not be able to offset the $250 AF on Gold Like I could the old $195, but it still has great value above the Green!

Then again I might see it differntly when that $250 hits next year... 

I may have to drop it in favor of the BCP/CSP combo.

Message 107 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't even need to do something crazy. They could just make it a flat 2x up to 50K for everything and it would be very impressive in my book. That would give us a true trifecta. But thats just a dream. 

Message 108 of 528
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

August isnt here yet as no news of the new business cash 2% card and it came out of no where so still a very good change of a green overhaul in the very near future, but just not leaked.  Granted it wont be anything big as others echoed as suspect if they do give it a slight make-over the AF will also slightly go up as they have done on all their other card make overs

Message 109 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the BCP revamp, it seems kind of odd to bother with the green right now. The appeal was supposed to be for Millennials and the BCP with streaming services and transit does that very well. 

Message 110 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.