cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: American Express Green

Green is not a card that seriously tries to compete on value. It's about appealing to people seeking NPSL, simplicity, nostalgia, vanity, or not knowing better.

Maybe Amex would rather have few Green customers, but have them remain highly profitable.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 111 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eh, in the times we live in, a little reading online will tell you it’s not a value proposition.

But my friend’s grandparents gave us their Green card to go pick up delivery with with a member date in the 70s... so it’s possible it’s just for older generations.
Message 112 of 528
NRB525
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
Green is not a card that seriously tries to compete on value. It's about appealing to people seeking NPSL, simplicity, nostalgia, vanity, or not knowing better.

Maybe Amex would rather have few Green customers, but have them remain highly profitable.

The overwhelming purpose of Green is as their Corporate Card Workhorse issued by the hundreds or thousands to corporate employees like myself. The Card provides a spending tool to charge travel costs through an online booking tool and payment and expense categorizing tool ( Concur does that for my company ) in a cost effective way, with consolidated spend control reporting.  

Each of the AMEX charge cards has a Personal and Corporate version, and the perks align in certain ways.  

It would be nice to see more categories on Green, and certainly fun to dream, but the reality is AMEX doesn’t see the Green as something that needs to be improved. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 113 of 528
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

@Anonymous wrote:
... how many streaming services do people really have? 1? 2? 

I pay for five streaming services. Even so, it's fair to say that this isn't a large spend category even for me. Smaller than (for example) gas or groceries. Still, I'd like a card that had a good return for this category, as I'd like good returns for all categories possible.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 114 of 528
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
When the rumor was announced, amex & amazon started doing business together. Paying for amazon purchases using MR points. And occasional "use even just 1 MR on a purchase and get $10-15 off."

Currently, a $30 off of $60+ purchase when using a MR point is going on...I think this is a good sign that the Green card is going to have some kind of Prime membership offered.
And with the updated rumored date of June/July...coincidence that such a large offer is going on currently?

[/B]
First of all, Amazon and Amex have been working together for several years now and not just before the rumours started. They have offered several pay with MR points and discounts for paying with points in the last three years and these offers have zero correlation with the green card rumours.

If this is your basis for the rumour being legit, prepare to be disappointed and waiting for nothing. The fact that the original rumour started, because of "somebody" overhearing "somebody" with no real credibility is enough for me to say this isn't happening. There has been nothing solid and suppose original launch of March completely fizzled, with someone use specilating it might be later and no official leak.

Isn't this how all rumours start?  Anything remotely credible would be a leak.  I don't think anyone is putting their time into stressing about whether or not Amex Green will be the entry level saviour of charge cards.  People put effort into Chase 5/24 rule with a lot more verocity.  For most Amex members, it's more as a passing thought of "Oh, wow.  If Amex Green does this or this, I think I'll apply or keep it."

I'd love a Green update since I can't justify the Gold AF, but there needs to be a few benefits I can use that are better than what's being offered now.  Unless of course, I just want a charge card.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 115 of 528
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Right, Amex isn't shy about having lower value cards!   Best example is Blue from Amex.   Earns 1MR per $.   The Everyday card is better in every way (same minimum earn, potential to earn 1.2 with 20 swipes a month, and has grocery category) but the Blue is still available to apply for.

Message 116 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't hold your breath on rumors. Either pull the trigger now on something you need or sit on the sidelines and if it gets revamped then pull the trigger otherwise you didn't wait for "nothing".
Message 117 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
... how many streaming services do people really have? 1? 2? 

I pay for five streaming services. Even so, it's fair to say that this isn't a large spend category even for me. Smaller than (for example) gas or groceries. Still, I'd like a card that had a good return for this category, as I'd like good returns for all categories possible.

Agreed, seems like all the CC products battle over grocery and dining. So some of us wind up with 5-7 card just for that category.

So it would be nice to have a broader category on a few, that includes streaming and other "utility" type spending.

So far I've only seen a few CC's that offer these fringe categories. USB Cash+ which can be rotating. Uber Visa? And one other.

BCP adding streaming was a nice step in that direction even though it's not a huge perk, every little bit helps. I only have 2 streaming services ATM, had to end one for my Foreign shows because WB canceled it right after buying it out. But it seems like I'm gonna have to add Disney+ if I want to see any of their content. I'm trying to keep from spending too much on extra peripherals though.

I would like one card that I can earn points/cash on all my misc. spend, while being seperate from grocery and dining card. It's too much to ask for one card to cover every category, but I would like to be able to cut back on the amount of cardsI have as well. Maybe down to 4-6, instead of 6 with just one issuer. lol

Message 118 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both Biz Green and personal Green. 30k MR points and referral bonuses for my wife. She also has personal Green. Easy points and they dont count against 5 card limit.
Message 119 of 528
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have both Biz Green and personal Green. 30k MR points and referral bonuses for my wife. She also has personal Green. Easy points and they dont count against 5 card limit.

A lot of cards give moderate bonuses, but how many of those three Greens will get renewed after the first year? After the second year?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 120 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.